• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do not kill

AdamEve

One of the chirstan laws simple say:
One shell not kill (or something like that)
It doesn't say kill if some one tries to kill you, or if someone tries to kill someone you like, it simply says do not kill meaning ever and under any circumstance.
And if this isn't plain enough then Jesus interpretation of the law while dying on the cross should make it even more clear. He didn't kill in prder to save his life which is in complete obedience with the above love which also means do not kill even if omeone tries to kill you.
So i keep wondering how chirtians make excuses when they go around killing, for whatever reason, and keep thinking they are christians.
I thought that you should obey christian laws to be a christan.

Renji

It doesn't say kill if some one tries to kill you, or if someone tries to kill someone you like, it simply says do not kill meaning ever and under any circumstance.
And if this isn't plain enough then Jesus interpretation of the law while dying on the cross should make it even more clear. He didn't kill in prder to save his life which is in complete obedience with the above love which also means do not kill even if omeone tries to kill you.
So i keep wondering how chirtians make excuses when they go around killing, for whatever reason, and keep thinking they are christians.

It's just a matter of common sense... If someone tries to kill you, the scripture does not say that you don't have the right to defend yourself. if you accidentally killed the attacker, then perhaps that can be excused since God isn't short sighted that he will only see the err. Even in court (here in my country. I just don't know in other) you can make use of self defense as an excuse if you killed someone unintentionally.... But ofcourse, it is different if you kill someone intentionally...

AdamEve

It's just a matter of common sense... If someone tries to kill you, the scripture does not say that you don't have the right to defend yourself. ...

Yes it does in a rule I have qouted which comes from 10 commandmends.
It says you should not kill.

It doesn't say you should not kill unless:
Yo are being attacked
It is full moon.
Your annual salary is less then 100000 dollars

Yes it is common sense to defend yourself.
Yes it is law of evolution to defend yourself.
Yes it is in the law of your country that you can defend yourself.

But we are now talking about laws as presented in bible.
These are different set of rules, rules which define chirstians.
Saying that you are chirsian and in the same time not obeying christian laws is like when aliens say "We come in peace" but they kill everyone on sight.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yes it does in a rule I have qouted which comes from 10 commandmends.
It says you should not kill.
Most likely, do not murder.

The Bible seems to make a distinction between shedding innocent blood and killing as punishment for sins, or for warfare.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

This is what the Lord of hosts has to say: 'I will punish what Amalek did to Israel when he barred his way as he was coming up from Egypt. Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and *****.' (1 Samuel 15:2-3 NAB)

AdamEve

Most likely, do not murder..

This is the whole point of this thread.
Everybody has their own favorite intepretation of this law.
And the law itself can't be more simple.
Imagine what would happen if Christians would be given the same freedom of interpreting gouverment laws as they to interpreting God rules.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Imagine what would happen if Christians would be given the same freedom of interpreting gouverment laws as they to interpreting God rules.
Ahem...One post above ya. :rolleyes:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!

Why not let us use the original language, instead of your favorite translation?

The law you refer to is: לא תרצח, or No murder. It doesn't say "Do not kill" in the original text, so your point becomes...?

Walkntune

Ten commandments didn't say not to kill. It said thou shall not commint murder.

Fester

You don't need Christians for that. Political parties, lobbys, and activists of all shapes and sizes do it all the time.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Why is that you are immune to the whole point of this thread?
Are you not taking YOUR favorite interpretation of this verse and then ranting and raving about how Christians who do not embrace your favorite interpretation are not Christians?

Your hypocrisy is most impressive.

AdamEve

The law you refer to is: לא תרצח, or No murder. It doesn't say "Do not kill" in the original text, so your point becomes...?

My point is that I didn't know this and now that I do this thread can be closed.
Thanks for info.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

This is what the Lord of hosts has to say: 'I will punish what Amalek did to Israel when he barred his way as he was coming up from Egypt. Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and *****.' (1 Samuel 15:2-3 NAB)
Don't forget:
Stoning
Lev 20:2; Lev 20:27; Lev 24:14; Num 14:10; Num 15:33-36; Deu 13:10; Deu 17:5; Deu 22:21; Deu 22:24; Jos 7:25; 1Ki 21:10; Eze 16:40

Crucificion
Mat 27:35; Mat 27:38; Mar 15:24; Mar 15:27; Luk 23:33

Beheading
Mat 14:10; Mar 6:16; Mar 6:27; Mar 6:28​

McBell

Admiral Obvious
why, when I read this, do I hear an angry child stomping away?
I would much rather see someone admit they needs re-evaluate their opinion on something because of new information than to see someone dig in their heels and make a complete arse out of themselves by sticking to their guns.

Rakhel

I would much rather see someone admit they needs re-evaluate their opinion on something because of new information than to see someone dig in their heels and make a complete arse out of themselves by sticking to their guns.
and yet the demand to close the thread without the willingness to debate the new information, doesn't seem a little odd?