• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Other People Usually Perceive You to be in the Majority or the Minority?

Generally speaking, do other people perceive you to be a minority or a majority?

• Total voters

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But have you tried them with clotted cream and jam? It's amazing.
I switch between sco-own and sc-on XD

*scratches his head*

It's pronounced sc-on. If there is any other issues you have with speaking proper English, just let me know. We have (obviously) perfected the art down here. It's much like beer brewing. You guys have been doing it longer, but have made such a balls-up of it, we just decided to fix it for ya.

;)

Aquitaine

But have you tried them with clotted cream and jam? It's amazing.
I switch between sco-own and sc-on XD

I guess that makes you a Double Agent in the British Scone Pronunciation War. ;)

lewisnotmiller said:
*scratches his head*

It's pronounced sc-on.

My God we cannot be friends now.

Why on Earth would it be pronounced like that? We pronounce "Cone" as c-own so why then would "Scone" be pronounced as sc-on?
Would you say "Oh look, there's a traffic con in the middle of the road!"?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

My God we cannot be friends now.

Why on Earth would it be pronounced like that? We pronounce "Cone" as c-own so why then would "Scone" be pronounced as sc-on?
Would you say "Oh look, there's a traffic con in the middle of the road!"?

Hey, it's your crazy-**** language. We're just the poor convicts trying to fix it.
;)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I live in the UK:

-White woman
-Canadian/Hungarian
-Bisexual
-Theist - looking for a path/religion
-Happily married
-No children, not planning to have them
-Cat owner :3 (UK tends to favour dogs)
-Gamer (since a little girl)
-Don't drink, smoke, do drugs, tan or go clubbing. I absolutely dislike those things.

I'm not visibly a minority but if I start talking often people ask me where I'm from (people often don't recognise the accent). I don't see myself as fitting in the UK culture either.

Edit: I always pronounce scone as rhyming with cone. That's what my husband told me and he's a posh boy. :p

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The etymology points to "scone" being more correct.

I've always said 'scon', but I don't usually eat them. Time to switch pronunciation. :D

Erebus

Scone, bone, phone, tone, cone, stone, crone, drone, prone, clone, zone, throne...

Scone, gone, shone...

Seems the pattern tends to favour scone rhyming with cone. Not sure which way the etymology favours since nobody quite seems to agree on that one either. However, since it's become a dialectical thing, there's just no right answer :p
For what it's worth I rhyme it with cone. The other way sounds weirdly posh to me. People who rhyme it with gone tell me my pronunciation sounds posh though so there you go.

As for the OP:

I'm white, English, Male and working/lower middle class. That puts me in a pretty large percentage of the country. Being a theist who is neither Christian nor Muslim as well as having tattoos/piercings and listening to Metal/Industrial music puts me in the 'alternative' crowd. While that still covers a lot of people it's generally seen as a minority.

So I guess I'm a bit of both depending which way you look at it.