• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do people still go around preaching on street corners?

Tarheeler, Is that rig even road-legal?

Not because of the flags, or the Bible verses (I have a bumper sticker with a flag myself) but I suppose they might make the case that it's no safe to drive a vehicle like that.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Tarheeler, Is that rig even road-legal?

Not because of the flags, or the Bible verses (I have a bumper sticker with a flag myself) but I suppose they might make the case that it's no safe to drive a vehicle like that.

As long as it's secured and won't fly off or hit anything while he's driving, he's most likely legal. I've seen him drive through town with the flags and cross, but I'm not sure about the signs. He might store them when he drives.

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
Having lived in many different states, I think it really just depends on where you are. Not even state-wise, but specific-location-wise. I haven't seen people preaching on random street corners so much, but at universities? It's a rare day when there isn't at least one guy out there preaching to anyone who walks by. ...At least at the universities I've been to (all of which are public, if it matters).

But I haven't noticed this as much outside of the United States. It might depend on what country you're in, or maybe I just haven't seen it yet. I'll definitely need to be paying careful attention now!​

Flankerl

In Germany? That is a bit rough.

Not really. Anyone who hangs around a certain spot for some time without any business of being there usually gets send away when the police sees it.

And as the JWs arent recognised as a religion they cant claim its against religious freedom.

muziko

Indeed, there are still such people. At my college, there are about five that I think of off the top of my head. One of which is very crude and it is often entertaining to watch people debate him while on break.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Not really. Anyone who hangs around a certain spot for some time without any business of being there usually gets send away when the police sees it.

And as the JWs arent recognised as a religion they cant claim its against religious freedom.

Why are they not recognized as a religion?

danieldemol

Premium Member
...as the JWs arent recognised as a religion they cant claim its against religious freedom.

That's the kind of reasoning I would expect from the nation that gassed 6million people.

Just because it is not our religion and/or not recognised by the government doesn't make oppression of it a non-infringement on religious freedom.

Flankerl

That's the kind of reasoning I would expect from the nation that gassed 6million people.

Well thats not true. You should probably read a real book about it.

Just because it is not our religion and/or not recognised by the government doesn't make oppression of it a non-infringement on religious freedom.

Well thats just like your opinion.

I find that troubling especially considering the persecution they endured under Hitler (I'm not a JW btw)

They just cant preach on a corner for a long time. Its not the end of the world and the police dont take them away to shoot them in the head.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
They just cant preach on a corner for a long time. Its not the end of the world and the police dont take them away to shoot them in the head.

I am just a strong advocate of religious freedom. It's under attack in the USA as well.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Well thats not true. You should probably read a real book about it.
Are you saying the whole statement is untrue?
If you are only saying part is true which part, why etc?

Can a person do any other kind of marketing on a street corner in Germany?
If so it is discriminating against a people's based on their choice of beliefs, and being better relative to headshots doesn't make it ok. It is still bad, just not as bad.

Flankerl

Are you saying the whole statement is untrue?
If you are only saying part is true which part, why etc?

The whole statement is untrue. At most 3.495.000 people died in the death camps. Its completely crazy to think that all those people were gassed or that the other 2.505.000 people were gassed outside of the camps by use of mobile gastrucks(which did indeed exist).

Also the 6 million number in itself is terribly wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust#Victims_and_death_toll

Can a person do any other kind of marketing on a street corner in Germany?
If so it is discriminating against a people's based on their choice of beliefs, and being better relative to headshots doesn't make it ok. It is still bad, just not as bad.

Depends. If they try to earn money they need the approval of the authorities.

This whole approaching random people on the street and talking to them is very anti-german. The people simply dont like it.

And no its not a discimination on the peoples beliefs as their belief isnt seen as a real religion at all. But they are better off than the scientology nutjobs.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I would think college campuses remain a popular spot for open-air preachers. I know any college I've been to has had 'em.

danieldemol

Premium Member
And no its not a discimination on the peoples beliefs as their belief isnt seen as a real religion at all. But they are better off than the scientology nutjobs.

So is it ok for people to treat Jews differently as long as the people who treat Jews differently don't view Judaism as a real religion?

Cercatore

I've seen them here and there, but they definitely preach at my university's campus. There will be a couple of people that set up camp and vehemently preach for hours. They usually draw a crowd, especially when they start bring hell's guest list into the message.

Some folks from the theatre department responded by acting like Bible thumping preachers.

The university policy prohibits hate speech, but I don't know how much that's enforced. It allows a racist, fascist group to organize, so it will probably let a few people preach their religion.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Why are they not recognized as a religion?

We refused to support Hitler when he was massacring the jews. When our german brothers refused to be subscripted, we were also put into concentration camps where many thousands of us lost our lives.

Our American branch made it public knowledge of what was happening to those taken captive and imprisoned in concentration camps and Hitler swore to wipe us out so he placed a complete ban on us in Germany.

You can find out more by goggling 'Purple Triangle' (maybe YouTube)

Flankerl

We do have legal status in Berlin.

You are an KdöR. Which doesnt make you a religion in germany.

We refused to support Hitler when he was massacring the jews. When our german brothers refused to be subscripted, we were also put into concentration camps where many thousands of us lost our lives.

Our American branch made it public knowledge of what was happening to those taken captive and imprisoned in concentration camps and Hitler swore to wipe us out so he placed a complete ban on us in Germany.

You can find out more by goggling 'Purple Triangle' (maybe YouTube)

And that has exactly what to do with the current situation?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You are an KdöR. Which doesnt make you a religion in germany.

And that has exactly what to do with the current situation?

I dont know what that word kdor means...maybe you can translate it?

But all i know is we've been granted the same privileges as Germany's major Catholic and Protestant churches.... thats all we wanted. So now we can practice our worship (including our preaching work) openly as they do.

there is no 'current situation' that i'm aware of????