• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Religions Suppress the Mystical in Favor of the Merely Religious?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In a seminar in comparative religious studies that I participated in some years ago we discussed, among other things, the notion that religions function as much as insulators from mystical experiences as they function as paths or conduits to mystical experiences -- and perhaps more the former than the latter.

That is, contrary to the popular view that at least some religions are there to provide a way or means to obtaining to a pure mystical experience, it was asserted that for various reasons they appeared to be more designed to shape, channel, and conform mystical experiences into something less subversive, less wild, and less dangerous than a pure mystical experience: i.e. a merely religious experience, as opposed to a truly mystical experience.

The argument basically went that few if any religions want their apple cart upset by someone having an experience that absolutely transcends, and thus threatens to contradict their scriptures, teachings, dogmas, clergy, teachers, or authorities. So, for instance, you might have an experience of oneness, but upon returning from it, you are challenged to see it in terms of your religion, rather than in the more transcendental terms in which it happened to you. e.g. you experienced a sense of oneness, but you are now to call the sense of oneness, "God's Divine Grace"., etc, etc, etc.

What do you make of such an idea? As I recall now, thirty-five years later, the notion was endorsed to one extent or another by several scholars and such, including Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell.

Senseless

Bonnie & Clyde
I'd say that I agree with it personally. Any sort of stiff dogma I perceive to be more of an obstruction on the path to my own personal truth than a way or help. I think some people do find their truth in it though. Everyone's different. Maybe for some people it truly works better and that's how they find their mystical experience.

In principle this all falls under my belief that we are all very different in perceiving reality though. To me personally religions are suffocating.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Did they say anything about Hinduism? Because in my experience having a transcendental mystical experience is very highly valued and if anything, makes the religious person more convinced and bound to the religion. Then again, most schools of Hinduism teach Oneness but even some like the Gaudiyas who are a little more dualistic will treat a person with reverence if they are known to experience deep mystical trance or ecstasy. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a too 'wild' mystical experience to contradict Hindu scripture.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Did they say anything about Hinduism? Because in my experience having a transcendental mystical experience is very highly valued and if anything, makes the religious person more convinced and bound to the religion. Then again, most schools of Hinduism teach Oneness but even some like the Gaudiyas who are a little more dualistic will treat a person with reverence if they are known to experience deep mystical trance or ecstasy. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a too 'wild' mystical experience to contradict Hindu scripture.

It's been 35 years since the seminar, and I can't recall now what, if anything, was said about Hinduism. This was a comparative religion class, though, so I suspect that's my fading memory.

My therapist, Arun, is Hindu. I started with him a dozen years ago when I was depressed, but since then I've largely gotten beyond depression and so he and I now sit around in our discussions and discuss (in order of frequency) Art, US politics (we both bemoan it), and Religion, with an emphasis on Hinduism. What I gather from out discussions -- which have in the past at times been on this very subject of religion as an insulator -- is that Hinduism contains concepts for explaining, or at least for naming, virtually any aspect of any mystical experience. However, I personally take very very seriously the notion that somethings simply pass understanding, and as such are potentially subversive of any ideology or system of belief, idea, or thought. I hope that helps.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think religions definitely can close up some doors or windows (or at least put heavy curtains over them :D ) that would allow people to have certain experiences. Not just religions though, ideologies in general. Whether people close up or walk around with a cup filled to the brim, the willingness and ability to openly receive/perceive gets cut off.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I have a lot of time for religion. I consider myself to be quite religious. I read a metaphor in a Buddhist text that has remained with me. The author (Hagen) argued that religion is a raft whose purpose is to carry one to understanding. I agree with him. He also, as far as I can remember, argues that holding too tightly to the raft can cause problems. Again I agree with him.
Where I see the real value of religion is in the poetic and descriptive tools it offers us for reconciling the experience of God (or Truth\Reality\whatever word you prefer) with daily life. After the ecstasy there is indeed the laundry, and religion gives us a useful vocab for our conversations in the laundry room.

picnic

I agree except that I think the influence happens before the mystical experience instead of after. Our religion and culture supplies a vocabulary for mystical experiences. When the mystical experience happens, we translate it into our vocabulary to remember it and comprehend it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree except that I think the influence happens before the mystical experience instead of after. Our religion and culture supplies a vocabulary for mystical experiences. When the mystical experience happens, we translate it into our vocabulary to remember it and comprehend it.

Good point. Do you think it can happen both before and after?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think religions definitely can close up some doors or windows (or at least put heavy curtains over them :D ) that would allow people to have certain experiences. Not just religions though, ideologies in general. Whether people close up or walk around with a cup filled to the brim, the willingness and ability to openly receive/perceive gets cut off.

I'm very much with you on the point that ideologies in general do the same as religious ideologies in particular.

picnic

Good point. Do you think it can happen both before and after?
Yes, I was just remembering the topic of "discernment" in Christianity. Christians believe that mystical experiences should be tested for conformity to existing dogma before accepting them. This is to protect Christians from being mislead into heresies by Satan, but of course it also makes it impossible to use mystical experiences as evidence against dogma.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes, I was just remembering the topic of "discernment" in Christianity. Christians believe that mystical experiences should be tested for conformity to existing dogma before accepting them. This is to protect Christians from being mislead into heresies by Satan, but of course it also makes it impossible to use mystical experiences as evidence against dogma.

Bingo! That's precisely the sort of example I was trying to recall from the seminar days, but couldn't (I just can't understand why I would forget anything -- it's only been 35 years). Thank you so much!

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
So, for instance, you might have an experience of oneness, but upon returning from it, you are challenged to see it in terms of your religion, rather than in the more transcendental terms in which it happened to you. e.g. you experienced a sense of oneness, but you are now to call the sense of oneness, "God's Divine Grace"., etc, etc, etc.

I've been a Buddhist long-term but have also had involvement with the local Quakers, joining them for "silent worship". I was struck by how the use of language defines experience, in this case people would talk about experiencing "the God within", but it seemed limiting somehow, rather one-dimensional. I then tried to translate what they were describing into the "language" of Buddhist meditation, but realised I was falling prey to the same tendency....doh!
I think it's also true that the way people experience these things is at least partly defined by their existing beliefs and assumptions, so then there is confirmation bias. Complicated really. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I generally agree with the OP's premise. Religion is more a vehicle for social cohesion and the maintenance of propriety than a mind expansion modality.

I question weather the mystical experience, being intensely subjective, is ever suitable as evidence.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I generally agree with the OP's premise. Religion is more a vehicle for social cohesion and the maintenance of propriety than a mind expansion modality.

Well said.

I question weather the mystical experience, being intensely subjective, is ever suitable as evidence.

Accounts of them are evidence of a certain value. One could make too much or too little of an account's value as evidence of various things.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Not only do religions suppress mysticism, but so does atheism, by insisting on mysticism being a "union with god" instead of the breaking through to and/or accessing other levels of consciousness--bringing unconscious processes into consciousness. Perhaps that is due to substance-based thinking rather than process-based thinking?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The argument basically went that few if any religions want their apple cart upset by someone having an experience that absolutely transcends, and thus threatens to contradict their scriptures, teachings, dogmas, clergy, teachers, or authorities. So, for instance, you might have an experience of oneness, but upon returning from it, you are challenged to see it in terms of your religion, rather than in the more transcendental terms in which it happened to you. e.g. you experienced a sense of oneness, but you are now to call the sense of oneness, "God's Divine Grace"., etc, etc, etc.

What do you make of such an idea? As I recall now, thirty-five years later, the notion was endorsed to one extent or another by several scholars and such, including Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell.
I spend a fair amount of time questioning the roles religion plays, and its relationship to the mystical in supporting or suppressing it. There are different forms and flavors religion takes that's important to realize before looking at such a question. I put together something a while back which I culled from Ken Wilber's book A Sociable God which I think is useful to realize in a high-level understanding of the uses of the term religion and how it is seen and practiced, that religion is not just one thing. I'll paste that here as it pertains to the discussion:

1. Religion as non-rational engagement:

- Deals with the non-rational aspects of existence such as faith, grace, etc.

2. Religion as meaningful or integrative engagement:

- A functional activity of seeking meaning, truth, integration, stability, etc.

3. Religion as an immortality project:

- A wishful, defensive, compensatory belief in order to assuage anxiety and fear

4. Religion as evolutionary growth:

- A more sophisticated concept that views history and evolution as a process towards self-realization, finding not so much an integration of current levels, but higher structures of truth towards a God-Realized Adaptation.

5. Religion as fixation and regression:

- A standard primitivization theory: religion is childish, illusion, myth.

6. Exoteric religion

- The outward aspects, belief systems to support faith. A non-esoteric religion. A potential predecessor to esoteric religion.

7. Esoteric religion

- The inward aspects of religious practices, either culminating in, or having a goal of mystical experience.

8. Legitimate religion:

- A system which provides meaningful integration of any given worldview or level. A legitimate supporting structure which allows productive functionality on that level, horizontally. The myth systems of the past can be called "legitimate" for their abilities to integrate. A crisis of legitimacy occurs when the symbols fail to integrate. This describes the failure of a myth's legitimacy we saw occur with the emergence of a new level of our conscious minds in the Enlightenment. Civil religion is one example of an attempt to provide legitimacy to this level, following the failure of the old legitimate system.

9. Authentic religion

- The relative degree of actual transformation delivered by a religion or worldview. This is on a vertical scale providing a means of reaching a higher level, as opposed to integrating the present level on a horizontal scale. It provides a means to transformation to higher levels, as opposed to integration of a present one.
So now to the question about the relationship of religion and mysticism. I think the question touches on almost all the points above in the list, but primarily between R6, and R7, exoteric and esoteric. I think all religions have esoteric elements to them, in their symbolisms if nowhere else. Exoteric religion, the outward forms expose someone to what are by nature interior truths, even if in practice that are understood as strictly outside oneself. To teach someone the symbols exterior to themselves can and often does have the effect of giving them a language for their own religious experiences, if and when they have them. Someone in this thread touched on that somewhat earlier.

A good, or healthy religion offers a system whereby the principles of esoteric truths are taught and communicated through exoteric forms. It also would be able to take those who move into the interior spaces in esoteric religious experience, the mystical, and support and guide that process. It also would need to remain fluid and adaptive in order to help translate the symbols of its faith system for both exposure to their meanings, and the realization of their meanings, but to make them relevant to those living in their culture and societies which are always evolving. R8 above, the Legitimate religion allows its symbols to be relevant to the day and age it lives in.

I think what the mistake is that people often make is to look at religion in modern times as out-of-step with culture and society and conclude religion is irrelevant as a system (and that is largely true in the West due to the rapid rise of modernity and postmodernity). Systems take a long time to adapt and are being outpaced by society, which at worst creates these pathological aberrations we call religious fundamentalism, which tend to function largely as R3 in the above list, a defensive posture. But the mainline churches today being more exoteric is due in no small part of the overall dissociation of the humanities and sciences since the Enlightenment.

In their role, they are put out in the wings as a specialized pursuit of the humanities, and as a result they fail to be a legitimate system, integrating the religious life, which includes both the exoteric and the esoteric, into the whole of society which includes the big three of science, morals, and art. If it does not speak to the whole, it fails in its integrative role. It fails to be legitimate. I believe if it fails to be legitimate horizontally, translating the world for the individuals or the body, it will fail vertically as well as an authentic religion, helping those seeking interior realization through esoteric practice. To simply open oneself to state experience, to have a Sartori experience without a legitimate framework with which to translate into or with, limits the amount of actual transformation that can occur, which requires interior realization, supported by exterior structures.

So to say religion stands in the way of the mystical is not incorrect. But I'm not entirely convinced that a lack of any religious frameworks or structures is legitimate either. Even if those exoteric structures are not found in traditional institutional forms, some form of legitimate religious framework will need to exist. I like the three jewels of Buddhism in this regard, Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. That covers both the interior and the exterior. Enlightenment that does not integrate is only partial.

Sorry for the length of all this, but I'm somewhat processing out loud as the topic touches on these thoughts I'm still processing. Hopefully there's something worth discussion in all of this.

Last edited: