• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do religious views affect political views?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Do you think people allow their religious views to affect their political views? And if they do, how do people of the same faith come to radically different conclusions? How is one Christian a far-right conservative, but another is an extremely staunch liberal? It seems to me if one religion is so mixed that it can lead people to radically different conclusions, it's not a very stable or concrete religion. Thoughts?
I read Catholic social teaching.

I may be socially conservative, but economically I am more liberal-leaning. I disagree most with the republicans then the democrats. But all around, I don't trust either parties. In the end they are all the same.

johnhanks

Do you think people allow their religious views to affect their political views?
At a societal level, I'm inclined to think it's the other way round. The correlation between Christian fundamentalist religion and right-wing conservative politics surely isn't coincidental; the former provides excellent justification and underpinning for the authoritarianism and discrimination inherent in the latter.

Splarnst

I don't have to like it; just tolerate it.
I didn't ask whether you have to like it. I asked whether you did because you originally said that you "hope" religious belief continues to influence political belief and that implies liking. I was seeking clarification of your statement.

In a similar way you would tolerate my views on abortion if it was up for voting.
If abortion was up to a vote, or if expressing your opinion about abortion was up to a vote?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Do you think people allow their religious views to affect their political views? And if they do, how do people of the same faith come to radically different conclusions? How is one Christian a far-right conservative, but another is an extremely staunch liberal? It seems to me if one religion is so mixed that it can lead people to radically different conclusions, it's not a very stable or concrete religion. Thoughts?
Look at the two most major religions in the world. Christianity and Islam. both of these religions had dramatic divisions right from their founding. in fact their founding itself was based on disagreements or strife within society at large.
society and the public is always in the process of political debates and religion is a social phenomenon.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I would think it horribly dishonest for someone to disallow their religious views to impact their political views. There are different leanings within the religious spectrum and this translates into the political realm as well.