• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the Abrahamic Religions worship Enlil?

Rakhel

I agree there's really no evidence Judaism came from Sumer. It was just a question of interest I thought I'd pose. Another interesting one is that El Elyon is the chief Canaanite deity, and Melchizzedek is called his Priest in Genesis.

I think you are reaching or reading too much into the Order of Melchizedek.

Rakhel

uhhh yeah I know. However, unless you can show me proof that El Elyon referred to a Canaanite god and does not mean "high up," then I will continue to say you are reaching

gnostic

The Lost One
The strongest link for the Hebrew god to the Sumerian Enlil is the Creation-Flood myths. There is also strong connection of the Hebrew god to the Sumerian Enki.

Both Enlil and Enki were creator gods. Depending on which clay tablets or which myths you reading, both Enlil and Enki (separate myths, of course) have showed they create mankind from the earth.

In one Sumerian myth (Song of the Pickaxe), Enlil was hoeing the earth with his hoe (of course), and uncovered the heads of humans.

In the myth of Enki, with the goddess Ninmah, they created humans in competitions, or more precisely a wager, from clay. Each deity would create defective human with some sort of disability, while the other deity would give that person a function or job in life (eg. a man who has 2 broken feet, will have a job as a silver smith.) Enki was more successful than Ninmah, in the challenge.

And both gods played important roles in the flood myths, Enlil to destroy mankind, and Enki to save mankind.

And of course, there are Babylonian myths, some similar and some completely different, like the myth, Enuma Elish, which is the most similar creation story to that of Genesis (chapter 1) 7-day creation, where Ea (Enki) did most of the creating, under the kingship of Marduk.

Blue Dev

uhhh yeah I know. However, unless you can show me proof that El Elyon referred to a Canaanite god and does not mean "high up," then I will continue to say you are reaching
Deuteronomy 32:8, where the Most High is dividing inheritences to the nations. A location that is high up isn't going to authoritatively portion out land to nations of people.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Deuteronomy 32:8, where the Most High is dividing inheritences to the nations. A location that is high up isn't going to authoritatively portion out land to nations of people.
In what way does that show that El Elyon was a Canaanite deity?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Do the Abrahamic Religions worship Enlil?

There is no evidence to suggest that God is enlil.
El and Enlil were different enough. El may be derived from Enlil, or based on Enlil, but they are still different enough.
I don't believe there is anyway to even suggest that the Abrahamic God is Enlil.
just comparing the Old Testament God to the New Testament God is quite a difference.
There's no evidence for it inside the Bible, either. The Bible depicts Abraham as making a break with the religion of his ancestors, and Jewish tradition makes that depiction far more explicit.

Who worshipped "Enlil", do those who believed in "Enlil" have any book from "Enlil", please?
If yes, kindly quote attributes of " Enlil " with reasons, please, right?

Regards

Last edited: