• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we have a sixth sense?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I've never had a near-death experience, but being a psychic medium, I have shared specific private details about a stranger's deceased and/or surviving loved ones, as well as specific details or past events about their personal life that I couldn't possibly know. And, as a medium, I can communicate with and interact with earthbound human spirits and nonhuman entities. I can see them (visually and/or see a mental vision of them), I can hear them speak audibly and/or hear them speak when I have a mental vision of them, and I can communicate and interact with them as I communicate and interact with the living.

And as a sensitive, I can sense the presence of spirits as well as feel their emotions at the time (such as elation, anger, fear, and despair). It's similar to how I feel varied sensations depending on the living person I am sensing. Generally speaking, I can determine within a couple of minutes of meeting someone if they are trustworthy or not, and I can tell by various feelings what kind of human spirit or nonhuman entity I'm dealing with. I can also see the auras of other people in vivid colors. That is essentially what I experience every day as a psychic medium, a sensitive, an empath, and a highly sensitive person.
Keep on keeping on, as it is people like you that I consider and learn from.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hearing is given pleasure by music, feeling by massage, sight by a beautiful view, taste by something tasty, and smell by something that smells good. What sense is being pleasured when you are intoxicated?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Hearing is given pleasure by music, feeling by massage, sight by a beautiful view, taste by something tasty, and smell by something that smells good. What sense is being pleasured when you are intoxicated?

I don't know what to tell you because I've never been intoxicated before.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Keep on keeping on, as it is people like you that I consider and learn from.

That's nice to know, so thank you for telling me.

The reason I post on RF about my experiences as a medium is to offer other people who don't have psychic abilities like mine a glimpse into what it's like to be a medium. As a paranormal investigator, I'd like to educate others about the paranormal in an effort to help dispel the negative stigma associated with believing in the paranormal. I don't post about my personal experiences to argue and debate with skeptics or try to persuade them to believe in the paranormal. In fact, I won't argue and debate with skeptics about my experiences or about anything else related to the paranormal. To be honest, it makes no difference to me whether skeptics believe me or not. As far as I'm concerned, they can make up their own minds whether to believe me or not. The fact is that their disbelief and skepticism don't alter the reality of my experiences. It makes no difference to me whether or not they believe in the paranormal.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So, traditionally humans are described to have five senses. I say traditionally because, according to google, some scientists are saying they discovered a sixth sense called "proprioception". But let's pretend that doesn't exist.

When I say "sixth sense", I mean having supernatural intuition. That's how it is traditionally understood, right? Like, we have a third eye that sees what our five senses cannot see.

Do you believe that humans have a capacity to see beyond what is visible to the five senses? If there is something else out there, such as a parallel spiritual realm, then the sixth sense is perhaps our capacity to sense it.
Although we traditionally speak of the five senses, we know for a fact that there are others. For example, your sense of balance, your sense of body position, etc.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that we have a primitive sense of the divine. It's like an eye that can only see light and shadow-- not very evolved and so it makes a lot of mistakes. I think this is why you find religion in all cultures everywhere--it's in our DNA.

PearlSeeker

Our mind operates with much more memories and data than our conscious mind can handle. Sometimes sudden information comes from subconscious mind as inspiration, intuition, premonition, reminder... For example we can suddenly remember where we left something after we stopped looking for it. This is not really an additional sense but it seems so.

PearlSeeker

Tactile senses in our body are also able to sense what is known as qi (chi). You can feel it if you close your eyes and make movements with your palms facing each other (moving closer/apart)...

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe that humans have a capacity to see beyond what is visible to the five senses?
I suspect that occasionally if a person experiences trauma we somehow alert ourselves in the past. I don't think its a very complex or testable signal, but I think sometimes this causes us to change our behavior and avoid the future trauma.

One time I had a sudden feeling that I needed to move a car that I was sitting in. Four people were in it, parked on the side of the road. I moved the car. 30 seconds later a drug crazed teenager in a stolen car swept through the place we had been sitting. They screeched around the corner, passed through on the wrong side of the road through that deadly spot before turning again, crossing the street, smashing through a hedge, going through another yard, going down another street and finally smacking into something else. We would have been hit from behind. I could not have consciously known what was going to happen. All four of us might have been hurt. Later we heard that the teenager who was high on a drug kept confusing the gas peddle for the brake peddle.

This was years before the Donnie Darko movie, by the way.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
So, traditionally humans are described to have five senses. I say traditionally because, according to google, some scientists are saying they discovered a sixth sense called "proprioception". But let's pretend that doesn't exist.

When I say "sixth sense", I mean having supernatural intuition. That's how it is traditionally understood, right? Like, we have a third eye that sees what our five senses cannot see.

Do you believe that humans have a capacity to see beyond what is visible to the five senses? If there is something else out there, such as a parallel spiritual realm, then the sixth sense is perhaps our capacity to sense it.
I believe we have what you would call a sixth sense which enables us to understand spiritual realities and know about God and such but it is not activated in everyone although it is a latent human potential in every person. Everyone has this sense but in this age where all the focus is so much on materialism, enjoyment of the pleasures and entertainment, most are unaware of the inner peace, contentment and joys to be found with this sense so they mock and discredit it because they have not developed this ability yet.

There are levels of consciousness above the mundane but to attempt to convince a materialist of these things is akin to trying to prove to a blind man that the sun exists. The spiritual senses can never be appreciated by those who have not developed them.

Audie

Veteran Member

I've way more than six

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe we have what you would call a sixth sense which enables us to understand spiritual realities and know about God and such but it is not activated in everyone although it is a latent human potential in every person.
I tend to agree, but in all fairness, I also have to add "Gods".