• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Put Too Much Faith In Current Science?

Sententia

Just something that's been in the back of my mind lately....

I don't mean to disparage science itself, but I'm wondering if we're over-confident regarding our current theories. While we have inarguably made great leaps of progress in understanding this magnificent world, I can't help but think how, once upon a time, geocentrism was obvious in its logic.

We never see the major paradigm shifts coming, we always think that our current understanding is correct. Yet, time and time again, we discover something that requires us to abandon what we "know."

Anyway, I'm just rambling. What do you think?

Accepted science does not require faith by those familiar with it. Theories are such as they may be proved wrong however their evidence and support is always clearly stated.

Im not sure what your drilling at here... Is this accepting facts proven by scientific theory you cant personally validate or are you questioning science and the scientific method as not being effective?

And if you think our current theories and method at arriving at those theories is ineffective what would you suggest we do instead?

polintzer27

If you are intrigued by the change of thought in scientific knowledge try reading, A New Kind of Science by Stephen Wolfram, who by his incredible breakthrough, has been called by other fellow scientists the "New Newton" it would blow your mind off, since this new science challenges Darwin and Einstein, and comes to this conclusion " everything in the universe functions according to a given set of rules" according to this there is no spontaneous generation, everything is arranged and follows a pattern or given order from the simplest form to the complex, and that´s what gives you perspective, we are moving from simple and plain to more complex and intriguing findings that challenge all the time every given assumptions! Therefore true faith is not a belief, is a certainty of knowing what you believe, thats why true unbiased science will always confirm what the bible says.

Sententia

If you are intrigued by the change of thought in scientific knowledge try reading, A New Kind of Science by Stephen Wolfram, who by his incredible breakthrough, has been called by other fellow scientists the "New Newton" it would blow your mind off, since this new science challenges Darwin and Einstein, and comes to this conclusion " everything in the universe functions according to a given set of rules" according to this there is no spontaneous generation, everything is arranged and follows a pattern or given order from the simplest form to the complex, and that´s what gives you perspective, we are moving from simple and plain to more complex and intriguing findings that challenge all the time every given assumptions! Therefore true faith is not a belief, is a certainty of knowing what you believe, thats why true unbiased science will always confirm what the bible says.

The Bible was not written by scientists or for science. The bible was written a few thousand years ago... You probably know more than they did when they wrote it but you will only accept science if it affirms your religious beliefs?

Is that really your stance?

tomspug

Absorbant
"No, we are more aware NOW of just how much we don't know than we ever have been. Science has taught us more about what is unknown than it has about what is known."

But we are still light years ahead in derived knowledge than we were even a century ago. At this rate, homo sapiens will essentially be gods in a few centuries. (wink).
Ah, the atheist dream continues. "If we become gods, then we can finally prove that we don't need God (wait, why are we trying to become something we don't believe in?)".

tomspug

Absorbant
The Bible was not written by scientists or for science. The bible was written a few thousand years ago... You probably know more than they did when they wrote it but you will only accept science if it affirms your religious beliefs?

Is that really your stance?
Exactly. The Bible was written, in my mind, for one purpose, to tell a STORY. The question is whether or not it is an important story and if it is true. But it is not the textbook for every aspect of life.

Notice how there is little mention of dinosaurs in the Bible besides things like "Leviathan" and other obscure references, which probably aren't referring to dinosaurs anyways. There is also no mention of sperm whales or catfish. Nothing on autism, nothing on AIDS, nothing on the Bubonic plague, nothing on anything AFTER 30 AD.

crystalonyx

Ah, the atheist dream continues. "If we become gods, then we can finally prove that we don't need God (wait, why are we trying to become something we don't believe in?)".

Actually, we don't really need god concepts now, tradition may lead some to desire them.

tomspug

Absorbant
Actually, we don't really need god concepts now, tradition may lead some to desire them.
Yes, because people only believe in God because it makes them feel comfortable. Or, wait, was that... the god of self? Oh, that's right. That's what it was.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"God of self" concepts are quite rare in atheism, Tomspug. Many of us despise such ideas.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The question is whether or not it is an important story and if it is true.
And those are of course two separate questions, and they could conceivable have different answers. Someone could for instance conclude that these stories are not “true” but at the same time conclude that they are important.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

You're too late! I disproved Darwin and Einstein more than a year ago in order to support the eternal truths of Girls On Trampolines. Give up your cheesy imitation religion and convert to the true faith -- Girls On Trampolines!

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

I've seen some of his work, but im not convinced of his pattern ideas. Patterns are for theists, making things fit rather than forming relationships regardless of whether they form patterns or not. You cant simply force everything to fall in line and behave to suit a theory.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Patterns are for humans, darkendless, not just theists. It's how our brains are wired.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Patterns are for humans, darkendless, not just theists. It's how our brains are wired.
Exactly right. Our brains are wired to perceive patterns where none exist, and to perceive intention where none exists. Perception of reality is not reality.

coyotezee said:
This thread is too long to read every post, so I'm just responding to the main question of the thread. Forgive me if I rehash what others have already said.

Much as been made lately of deconstructionism, which, as I understand it, argues that even science is not objective but somehow comes up with the answers it was predisposed to find. While science has always had to be on guard against striving to confirm what it already knows, rather than finding a new idea that better explains it, science has generally made progress toward a global understanding of the physical universe. As such, paradigm shifts should be fewer and farther between.

Note the big paradigm shifts to date: The start of modern science, with heleocentrism and the use of the scientific method. For a while, there were dramatic new discoveries that changed much of what we thought we knew, in area of physics (electricity and magnitism), geology (identifying how various rocks formed over time), biology (evolution), medicine (germ theory), and so on. A hundred years ago we had the dramatic shift in physics to relativity and quantum mechanics, but these did not so much change what we already knew as give it a new context. In astronomy, the discovery of galaxies and then the Big Bang. Plate techtonics transformed geology, but again, it did not so much invalidate what we knew but gave it a more complete basis.

Today, there are fewer and few things that are so poorly understood that there will be dramatic new discoveries, except at the fringes: astrophysics, high-energy particle theories, etc. Remember that to replace the existing paradigm, a new one will have to at least explain everything we already know plus some things we can't explain.

There is, of course, much we have to learn, but the gaps are always decreasing; that is the nature of science. Someone mentioned that fifty years ago scientists were predicting a new ice age and now they are predicting warming. But that is not a paradigm shift so much as just getting better at understanding a complex thing like atmosphere and having better data to go on. People who are holding out for someone to conclusively contradict the global warming expectations are naive.

I have a great deal of trust (I would not call it faith) in science to help us understand our place in the cosmos. Better theories will give us a better idea of that place, but that is no reason to question the value of what we already have.
That was a really excellent analysis, thanks, I enjoyed reading it.

I've noted with interest a range of sentiments about the future of fundamental physics. Some particle physicists working on the LHC have suggested that the state of physics today is comparable to how it was at the dawn of the 20th century: almost everything fits very well into our theoretical framework, but there are a few glaring problems, such as the issues of dark energy, dark matter, and the unification of gravity and the other fundamental forces. Thus, according to them, physics is fundamentally broken.

"Fundamentally broken" refers to the conceptual, not practical sense. Practically, we know we are very,very,very close to the truth because we've measured it experimentally to great precision. The same was true at the beginning of the 20th century. And when people like Einstein and Schrodinger introduced profound conceptual changes, all the previous physics (Newtonian gravity, Maxwell's electromagnetism) was still correct for all practical purposes. But they did introduce tiny corrections which at first had no practical significance, but today are indispensable for high-tech gear from GPS positioning to iPods.

On the other hand, these same particle physicists have been searching for something beyond the Standard Model for 40 years. They are in desperate need of funding and manual (grad student) labor. So it's in their self-interest to talk up the potential for a revolution in fundamental physics.

Meanwhile, many outside particle physicists are skeptical that we will see major paradigm shifts in fundamental physics any time soon. The reason is that the cost, in dollars, manpower and brainpower, rises exponentially when we do experiments that test physics more fundamentally, and the risk of discovering nothing (or of the funding running out) outweighs the enormous cost. Earth-shattering discoveries were made by people like Rutherford with little more than a grad student and a few hours' time. Now, something like the LHC requires international collaboration of thousands of engineers, scientists, technicians, and politicians, and $billions that could be used to do cancer or AIDS research.

I do understand that we continue to see enormous progress, and paradigm shifts, in biological fields. The world of biology is astonishingly complicated and diverse....and it has only begun to use advanced tools from physics and get really quantitative, especially at the molecular level.

Storm said:
The first thing that springs to mind is when people try to use science to justify their theology (or lack thereof). That's what got me pondering the question, anyway.
If the theology is posited in such a way as to be testable, then it is reasonable to examine it scientifically. There is a reason many people in the early 19th century believed God purposefully directed lightning bolts, while few people believe that today, and it has nothing to do with breakthroughs in theology.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

I disagree, accurate and non-bias reasoning shows us that patterns do not always exist, only relationships of various levels.
We may seek patterns, but they do not always exist.

Renji

Just something that's been in the back of my mind lately....

I don't mean to disparage science itself, but I'm wondering if we're over-confident regarding our current theories. While we have inarguably made great leaps of progress in understanding this magnificent world, I can't help but think how, once upon a time, geocentrism was obvious in its logic.

We never see the major paradigm shifts coming, we always think that our current understanding is correct. Yet, time and time again, we discover something that requires us to abandon what we "know."

Anyway, I'm just rambling. What do you think?

I strongly agree. I genuinely believe that we are now more faithful in science than in God. It seems that we are saying to HIM that " I don't believe in you. Even if you exists, I don't need you! We have science and techology. YOU are not in need!" This should not happen. We should not brag on our knowledge . God don't have knowledge for He have wisdom above all beings.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Science is not meant to receive faith in the religious sense, Lawrence. And scientific knowledge logically should not be any sort of menace to God or to the belief in him.