• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Put Too Much Faith In Current Science?

crystalonyx

An interesting sideline is that from the point of view of photons themselves, they arrive instantaneuosly at their destination, since they are traveling at the speed of light (i.e. no time passes for the photons). For an external observer, they travel at the speed of light.

Women_Of_Reason

Mystery Lover
An interesting sideline is that from the point of view of photons themselves, they arrive instantaneuosly at their destination, since they are traveling at the speed of light (i.e. no time passes for the photons). For an external observer, they travel at the speed of light.

And no matter how hard I try, I can`t but myself in the shoes of the photons.

Renji

Topic: Do we put too much faith in current science?
Answers: Theory of relativity, speed of light, computers and imagination.

I therefore created a new theory about this thread expressed in a formula:

D.W.P.T.M.F.I.C.S=(T.R)+(S.L)+(C) +(I)

Please stay back to the real topic of this post or I'm afraid that the next thing that will happen here is the involvement of Quadratic Functions and Trigonometric functions.:)

Sententia

Topic: Do we put too much faith in current science?
Answers: Theory of relativity, speed of light, computers and imagination.

I therefore created a new theory about this thread expressed in a formula:

D.W.P.T.M.F.I.C.S=(T.R)+(S.L)+(C) +(I)

Please stay back to the real topic of this post or I'm afraid that the next thing that will happen here is the involvement of Quadratic Functions and Trigonometric functions.:)

I think the character of the faith that is given to science is important to the question. If tomorrow evidence were to turn up that disproved the theory of evolution then the theory of evolution would need to change or be completely abandoned.

Its like any theory or even scientific law. The nature of which we adhere and have faith to science is one in which we critically evaluate it. We are forever examining and restating theory in manners designed to allow them to be proven false.

This 'faith' demands experimentation and testing and constant exploration. I think the real mistake is calling it faith... More like healthy skeptical thinking...

Renji

This 'faith' demands experimentation and testing and constant exploration. I think the real mistake is calling it faith... More like healthy skeptical thinking...

And what do you think is the way or method to experiment or atleast explore about faith?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And what do you think is the way or method to experiment or at least explore about faith?

I you allow me to answer this question, it would be by using our faith to take decisions as needed or convenient, then evaluate the consequences and infer which adjustments that faith should have.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Just something that's been in the back of my mind lately....

I don't mean to disparage science itself, but I'm wondering if we're over-confident regarding our current theories. While we have inarguably made great leaps of progress in understanding this magnificent world, I can't help but think how, once upon a time, geocentrism was obvious in its logic.

We never see the major paradigm shifts coming, we always think that our current understanding is correct. Yet, time and time again, we discover something that requires us to abandon what we "know."

Anyway, I'm just rambling. What do you think?
Speak for yourself? But generally, I don't put too much faith in science.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm that doesn't really make sense.

You said you don't really put faith in science. I responded 'Apart from when posting on internet forums'.
It's a pithy comment noting that you actually do put faith in science, if 'faith' is how you want to term it. That's all.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You said you don't really put faith in science. I responded 'Apart from when posting on internet forums'.
It's a pithy comment noting that you actually do put faith in science, if 'faith' is how you want to term it. That's all.
The OP is worded 'too much faith in science''. I neither put too much faith in science, nor am I using ''faith'', when I post on forums /in science./
Hence, what you said makes no sense.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I don't mean to disparage science itself, but I'm wondering if we're over-confident regarding our current theories. While we have inarguably made great leaps of progress in understanding this magnificent world, I can't help but think how, once upon a time, geocentrism was obvious in its logic.

We never see the major paradigm shifts coming, we always think that our current understanding is correct. Yet, time and time again, we discover something that requires us to abandon what we "know."

"Nature is the executor of God's laws": Galileo

As long as we do not strive to conclude the simplest 'God refuting' answers for everything in nature, we can maintain an open, unbiased, scientific approach

gnostic

The Lost One

Sorry, but just about anything in science, can be challenged, but any such challenge must be done where any alternative explanation must be backed up by verifiable or testable evidences that challenge the current theory.

Newton's law on objects' motion and on gravity went unchallenged for decades and a few centuries, until the 20th century with the arrival of relativity and quantum mechanics. Both of these new theories challenge the old Newtonian physics.

But the real challenges come from science itself, from other verifiable discoveries, and not by any form of creationisms or pseudoscience like Intelligent Design.