• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you accept the Bible? If not, explain why.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Can you provide an example of a so called "fallacy" . .?

Do moral fallacies qualify? Because if so, then much of the early AT is very much useless as a source of religious truth. Moses' handling of prisoners of war, for instance (often enough as approved if not dictated by God outright) is amoral by any reasonable definition.

If you think that is covered by the New Alliance and its change of parameters (which would bring the question of how come it is still considered valid scripture, but let's leave that aside for now), what about a whole epistle about the relationship between slave and slave holder and fails to so much as attempt to make a clear case against slavery?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Nope. It's a book written from ORAL stories that were passed down from long ago. Anytime you have stories that are passed on after long periods of time, the story morphs, changes, things get added, exaggerated, deleted, etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've never read the bible and don't intend to read it. Back in Grade 5 when the Gideons gave me one I tried but got stuck on about paragraph 3. It has no relevance to me whatsoever. Same goes for another 3 or 4 billion people on the planet. Just another book. But if someone else wants to read it, that's fine. I hated Shakespeare too.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Because it teaches us the truth.

the bible was written for a people that were facing tyranny or searching for a place to call theirs.
it was written for a people who were ignorant of the laws of the natural world
and it was used as a tool to control the masses...
that's why i don't accept the bible as absolute truth

No. I used to certainly, but I found the God of the Bible far too silent for my liking. I've since found other Gods who are more willing to interact and I accept them instead.

THE BIBLE SAYS
not so much that god is silent but

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
Pro 25:3 The heaven for height, and the earth for depth, and the heart of kings is unsearchable.
Pro 25:4 Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer.
Pro 25:5 Take away the wicked from before the king, and his throne shall be established in righteousness.
Pro 25:6 Put not forth thyself in the presence of the king, and stand not in the place of great men:

MY MAIN POINT IN THE ABOVE PASSAGE IS THAT
THAT GOD'S ABILITY TO SERVE
IS BEST SERVED WHEN IT IS CONCEALED
BECAUSE OF SINNER'S GREATER TENDENCY
TO PRESUMPTIOUSLY USE KNOWLEDGE TO THEIR OWN DETRIMENT
AND THUS IT IS BEST CONCEALED
UNTIL THEY HAVE ACHIEVED WISDOM
THAT CASTES OUT ALL FEAR
and the beginning of such wisdom tho is a fear of god...
THUS IT IS GOOD THAT THE BIBLE DOES NOT SPEAK OPENLY ON SOME SUBJECTS..

BUT INdeed it is the best of all scriptures in that it teaches
about how jesus by what he suffered for others sake
was given by god the father
judgment of all humanity....
and enabler of the holy spirit
that once one is convicted of one's sins and repents
and accepts the holy spirit ....
said holy spirit can then TEACH ALL THINGS...

ninerbuff

godless wonder
THE BIBLE SAYS
not so much that god is silent but

Pro 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
Pro 25:3 The heaven for height, and the earth for depth, and the heart of kings is unsearchable.
Pro 25:4 Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer.
Pro 25:5 Take away the wicked from before the king, and his throne shall be established in righteousness.
Pro 25:6 Put not forth thyself in the presence of the king, and stand not in the place of great men:

MY MAIN POINT IN THE ABOVE PASSAGE IS THAT
THAT GOD'S ABILITY TO SERVE
IS BEST SERVED WHEN IT IS CONCEALED
BECAUSE OF SINNER'S GREATER TENDENCY
TO PRESUMPTIOUSLY USE KNOWLEDGE TO THEIR OWN DETRIMENT
AND THUS IT IS BEST CONCEALED
UNTIL THEY HAVE ACHIEVED WISDOM
THAT CASTES OUT ALL FEAR
and the beginning of such wisdom tho is a fear of god...
THUS IT IS GOOD THAT THE BIBLE DOES NOT SPEAK OPENLY ON SOME SUBJECTS..

BUT INdeed it is the best of all scriptures in that it teaches
about how jesus by what he suffered for others sake
was given by god the father
judgment of all humanity....
and enabler of the holy spirit
that once one is convicted of one's sins and repents
and accepts the holy spirit ....
said holy spirit can then TEACH ALL THINGS...
This is useless for those that don't believe in the bible.........:facepalm:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

No,the Bible has some great stories in it though and gives an insight into ancient beliefs but there is no proof that Moses or Jesus actually existed or the stories like Noahs Ark and Adam and Eve could possibly have happened.

The Bible seems foreign to me and runs off the back of the Old Testament just as the Qur'an does when really the OT is about Jewish people and their God,so i see the Bible and all its off shoots no differently than any other religious books.

Biblestudent_007

So does the Bible. The portraits of Jesus in the Gospel of Mathew and the Gospel of John are too at odds and can't be reconciled. They give two completely different depictions of his character. Was Jesus an inspired teacher of Torah, a new Moses, like in Matthew? Or was he a Hellenistic-style God-man who descended from heaven as a sacrifice to mankind, was beyond the trappings of human emotion, and only talked about who he was and where he came from, like in John?

As literature, I have a deep appreciation for the Bible. As a spiritual guide, I don't find much of value in it.

The main difference when comparing the Koran to the Bible is that somewhere in the Epistles of Peter it says 'We were eyewitnesses to His majesty' . .

Last edited:

Erebus

It's it reasonable to expect people to accept such a bold claim without offering any evidence or logic to back it up?

The-God-Emperor-Can%27t-be-Wr.jpg