• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you agree with Dan Gillerman?

Do you think UN should be allow to join in?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

greatcalgarian

Israel's UN ambassador, Dan Gillerman, said Thursday Israel would not allow the UN to be involved in any investigation of why the post was struck.
"Israel has never agreed to a joint investigation, and I don't think that if anything happened in this country, or in Britain or in Italy or in France, the government of that country would agree to a joint investigation," he said.

Paul Maxwell

Rubbish. I doubt very much any nation would agree to a joint investigation with the UN. Perhaps when the UN regains a shred of credibility it may be another matter. I doubt that Annan's stupid comments about "deliberate" attacks on UN forces have been very helpful. If the Secretary General can issue such a comment then he MUST have proof. I cannot help but notice that he has offered nothing whatsoever.

Israel -> 1
UN -> -5
Hezbollah -> Who cares.

greatcalgarian

Paul Maxwell said:
Rubbish. I doubt very much any nation would agree to a joint investigation with the UN. Perhaps when the UN regains a shred of credibility it may be another matter. I doubt that Annan's stupid comments about "deliberate" attacks on UN forces have been very helpful. If the Secretary General can issue such a comment then he MUST have proof. I cannot help but notice that he has offered nothing whatsoever.

Israel -> 1
UN -> -5
Hezbollah -> Who cares.

Why do you think Annan's comment about "deliberate" is stupid?
Have you really followed the event from start to finish? Please read again carefully the following:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060727.MIDEASTUN27/TPStory/TPInternational/Africa/
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/1072e4ee2357277ee276ec84fdfca6a4.htm
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/4075171.html
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/25/un-lebanon.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1830294,00.html?gusrc=rss

standing_on_one_foot

Even if they'd rather not and there's not precedent for it, I don't think it would be a bad idea, if just for publicity's sake. Unless there's some reason it would compromise the investigation. I don't think Israel has to or should be forced to, but it might be a good move on their part all the same.

Booko

Deviled Hen
standing_on_one_foot said:
Even if they'd rather not and there's not precedent for it, I don't think it would be a bad idea, if just for publicity's sake. Unless there's some reason it would compromise the investigation. I don't think Israel has to or should be forced to, but it might be a good move on their part all the same.

More likely it would compromise some of their communication methods and intelligence.

You can't really do an investigation of this without looking at the chatter required to do a trace and set the target.

Jon

If the fighting was just stoped and the U.N was brought back in to watch the border.
What good would that do? They would still want Israel wiped out.
They were there wern't they?
The U.N has a bad habbit of watching people kill each other. They're pepping tom's.
They don't stop anything. Why would Israel want to help them in any way.
Having the U.N there just allowed Hizbullah to fight without a strong reply from Israel.
I've had a feeling that Israel hit it on purpose to move the U.N from a peace keeping
role to a more proactive peace making role.

c0da

The U.N has a bad habbit of watching people kill each other. They're pepping tom's
They don't stop anything.

Exactly. Hezballah has been arming itself for the past few years ready for an assualt on Israel and the UN has done nothing. For a lasting peace to take effect, Hezballah must be disarmed and, even erased completely, to take the power away from those breeding the hatred.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
greatcalgarian said:
Israel's UN ambassador, Dan Gillerman, said Thursday Israel would not allow the UN to be involved in any investigation of why the post was struck.
"Israel has never agreed to a joint investigation, and I don't think that if anything happened in this country, or in Britain or in Italy or in France, the government of that country would agree to a joint investigation," he said.

I'm not sure that " not allowing " and " not agreeing " are quite the same thing .

First off , wasn't the post in Jorden ? If so , then Israel couldn't stop an investigation . However , without their cooperation , any investaigation would likely be a waste of time .

Basically , I read the statement as saying that Israel will not cooperate with any investaigation . I agree that it appears that Israel may be hiding something , but at least Mr. Cillerman is being honest .

greatcalgarian

kreeden said:
I'm not sure that " not allowing " and " not agreeing " are quite the same thing .

First off , wasn't the post in Jorden ? If so , then Israel couldn't stop an investigation . However , without their cooperation , any investaigation would likely be a waste of time .

Basically , I read the statement as saying that Israel will not cooperate with any investaigation . I agree that it appears that Israel may be hiding something , but at least Mr. Cillerman is being honest .

A joint investigation means that all informations be shared during the investigation process, for example communication between UN official and UN official, Israel commander to commander etc. So Israel would like to keep the investigation to herself and not ready to share information with UN as she may have some thing that is not exposable to light. If you have nothing to hide, an open investigation is the best path to clear up any misunderstanding. Well, Mr. Cillerman is being honest to be dishonest. :p