• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe Gnosticism is growing?

Raban

Hagian
From when it was utterly annihilated- yes. However, I think that modern Gnosticism (I know two 'modern gnostics') is very different from its ancient forms. For example, for the most part I am Protestant, but I hold various 'gnostic' gospels in high esteem. But I would not consider myself Gnostic. Now if you consider the influence of Gnosticism as a growing force, I would say yes.

prognosticator

I would say it is definitely growing with the discovery and publication of the Nag Hamadi scriptures, and also with the proliferation of books on Gnosticism. I attended a Gnostic group for awhile and also a meet-up group, which was attended by a surprising number of people. There are also a plethora of web sites of different Gnostic groups.

BTW, how do I join this sub-group?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Of course it is. It's gone from total obscurity to being a fairly well addressed issue among scholastics and intellectuals. It's part of mainstream culture to some degree. But the question is...."What is Gnosticism exactly"? Each group had its own beliefs. What was the original? What is a "Gnostic" Group? What is their beliefs? What kind of "Gnosis" do they espouse? What rituals? What secrets and passwords of the Angels are they believing are the keys to attaining access to the Light realm? What are their views on Archons?

What is growing is understanding of ancient Gnosticism and awareness, but not necessarily adherence to it.

theosis

Maybe once Phillip K. Dick's VALIS becomes a film, we'll see more people reading the gnostic scriptures.

Bunny

What is growing is understanding of ancient Gnosticism and awareness, but not necessarily adherence to it.

That. ^^^^

I also think that we're seeing certain gnostic beliefs being subsumed into larger religious/spiritual groups without those groups actually becoming Gnostics (insofar as anyone can "become" Gnostic) themselves.

xkatz

I believe it's growing because,

hipster-barista-template.jpg

(I know I'll get some flak for this)

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

Damn right Gnosticism is growing. It needs to grow because of its mystical beauty and nature that people have been wanting to know, so that way they could escape the imprisonment of religion.

Ketoujin12

Damn right Gnosticism is growing. It needs to grow because of its mystical beauty and nature that people have been wanting to know, so that way they could escape the imprisonment of religion.

SheikhHorusFromTheSky,

I wholeheartedly agree! I am a syncretist who is something between a proto-Buddhist and a modern day Gnostic. I am still finding my way in this and have volumes left to learn but have always been intrigued by many of the doctrines enunciated in Gnostic thought as well as in the more enstatic Dharmic religions.....though in doing so I am moving beyond the idea of "religion" as most people, especially in the West, conceive of it.

I hope the basic idea which I call the blessed dispensation of "Chrestos Dhamma" will triumph and help all people overcome suffering and defeat the tyranny of the demiurge.

Good luck in your journey of understanding. I hope you, as I, will find freedom.

Best,

Gunnar

biased

It's definitely become more popular since it entered public conciousness with films like The DaVinci Code and heavy allusions in the Matrix trilogy. Elaine Pagels also seems to pop-up on all of the History Channel specials regarding anything Jesus and more often then not mentions Gnosticism.

theosis

It's definitely become more popular since it entered public conciousness with films like The DaVinci Code and heavy allusions in the Matrix trilogy.

That's probably the most that can be expected. Popular culture references are not going to reignite a religious movement.

Shermana

Heretic
First off, what exactly is a "Gnostic" movement? Are we talking about revival attempts to bring back specific Gnostic associated groups like Sethians and Cainites or the concepts themselves? Are we talking a reemergence of people who believe in Gnostic Cosmology and interpretations of the texts? A revival of interest of people who are reading the Nag Hamadi and Apocryphal "NT" Texts?

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

First off, what exactly is a "Gnostic" movement? Are we talking about revival attempts to bring back specific Gnostic associated groups like Sethians and Cainites or the concepts themselves? Are we talking a reemergence of people who believe in Gnostic Cosmology and interpretations of the texts? A revival of interest of people who are reading the Nag Hamadi and Apocryphal "NT" Texts?

Yes! :yes:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I myself have always been a self proclaimed Gnostic considering deism grew off its tree. But the ancient Gnosticism such as the Mandaeanism and Bardaisans? Nope, not going to happen as most of the actual teachings have long since been lost.

But will newer formed styles of Gnosticism arise? Hell yes.

Gnosticism is a major gap for people as of now as mysticism is becoming heavily popular and sought. The issue is that only Dharmic mysticism is heavily known to the public while Gnosticism is looked over. Many people I know of are unaware that Europe had any form of mysticism that was organized to some extent.

I myself follow much in the Mandaeistic path

biased

Gnosticism is a major gap for people as of now as mysticism is becoming heavily popular and sought. The issue is that only Dharmic mysticism is heavily known to the public while Gnosticism is looked over. Many people I know of are unaware that Europe had any form of mysticism that was organized to some extent.

What do you mean by unaware Europe had any form of mysticism that was organized?

theosis

I myself have always been a self proclaimed Gnostic considering deism grew off its tree. But the ancient Gnosticism such as the Mandaeanism and Bardaisans? Nope, not going to happen as most of the actual teachings have long since been lost.

The texts of the Mandaeans are preserved because the Mandaeans are still extant and most have been translated to English.

I

I myself follow much in the Mandaeistic path

Pop quiz: Without googling, what are the tenets of the Mandaean faith?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
What do you mean by unaware Europe had any form of mysticism that was organized?

Most people view mysticism as something Asian or Middle Eastern in nature. Many just overlook the fact that there were many mystics in the Hellenic era and beyond.

It just seems to be overlooked simply. Everyone keeps associating mysticism with Cherokee shamans, Haitian vodou, and African witchcraft etc.