• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe Gnosticism is growing?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The texts of the Mandaeans are preserved because the Mandaeans are still extant and most have been translated to English.

I forgot that they are called Sabians often. Thanks for reminding me. I recall this subject arising between me and some fellow Muslim pals once a while ago because the Sabians were mentioned int he Qur'an

Pop quiz: Without googling, what are the tenets of the Mandaean faith?

I recall them clearly rejecting Jesus(my kicker), the emanation of existence being spiritual or supernatural (personal belief), astrological elements about stars( I really hate astrology)

That is all I can think of on the fly. Also I got it confused, I mean't Manichaeism. That is of primary interest to me, mainly because of my fascination of al=Razi :p

theosis

I forgot that they are called Sabians often. Thanks for reminding me. I recall this subject arising between me and some fellow Muslim pals once a while ago because the Sabians were mentioned int he Qur'an

Actually, the Mandaeans were identified with the Sabians to their benefit -- it meant that they could be considered People of the Book. Whether the actual Sabians were the same people as the Mandaeans or if they were a different baptizing sect is an open question.

I recall them clearly rejecting Jesus(my kicker), the emanation of existence being spiritual or supernatural (personal belief), astrological elements about stars( I really hate astrology)

They reject Jesus because they are a pre-Christian sect. The astrology is definitely present (I agree with your view) but the bedrock of their faith is their belief in ritual baptism. Baptism is so central to their faith that it's the main sacrament and it's done daily.

They believe that flowing water (like the River Jordan) represents the world above (think Siddhartha by Hesse). By continually baptizing in a flowing body of water, they are brought closer to Heaven on a daily basis. They strive to be like the Primal Man, Adam -- not like any demiurge. That is the crux of their faith (though I'll agree with you that much of their other theology is misguided).

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Actually, the Mandaeans were identified with the Sabians to their benefit -- it meant that they could be considered People of the Book. Whether the actual Sabians were the same people as the Mandaeans or if they were a different baptizing sect is an open question.

I have always been unclear on this really. Muslims say they are the same yet I hear people like you state a difference of some kind. I usually go to Arab videos and the mentioning of Sabians always arises.

They reject Jesus because they are a pre-Christian sect. The astrology is definitely present (I agree with your view) but the bedrock of their faith is their belief in ritual baptism. Baptism is so central to their faith that it's the main sacrament and it's done daily.

I have taken note of their emphasis on baptism. It is astonishing for me really.

prognosticator

I have always been unclear on this really. Muslims say they are the same yet I hear people like you state a difference of some kind. I usually go to Arab videos and the mentioning of Sabians always arises.

I have taken note of their emphasis on baptism. It is astonishing for me really.

Off the top of my head, I know that Mandaens exist in Iraq. They were heavily persecuted by Saddam Hussein, and I think he tried limiting their access to sources of running water for their daily rituals. They adhere to teachings of John the Baptist and have animosity toward Jesus, because they feel that he co-opted John's teachings and ran away with them, becoming more popular. I actually have a book about them, which I haven't really read yet. I'll share more when I can.