• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in a global flood?

Atruthseeker

If you believe in the Bible/are a Christian etc, do you believe the flood was world wide or simply localized but appearing worldwide to the then known world? What convinces you either way?

Dunemeister

All I know is that the text itself does not demand that the flood be viewed as literally earth-wide. Its description is compatible with a more localized (although still quite dramatic) phenomenon. So I'm agnostic.

Morse

To Extinguish
I completely agree with Dunemeister. If you look at it from a localized perspective, with 40 days and 40 nights being perhaps a hyperbole, then I can accept its validity.

However, a global flood is pretty much impossible.

Atruthseeker

I completely agree with Dunemeister. If you look at it from a localized perspective, with 40 days and 40 nights being perhaps a hyperbole, then I can accept its validity.

However, a global flood is pretty much impossible.
To be honest, I'm not sure it was global. However, the scriptures talk about the water canopy bursting and the waters of the vast waterdeep bursting forth too. It also says that valleys decended and mountains acended, indicating that the earth itself was different, perhaps flatter. If that was so, could it then be possible?

rusra02

Premium Member
If you believe in the Bible/are a Christian etc, do you believe the flood was world wide or simply localized but appearing worldwide to the then known world? What convinces you either way?

I believe the flood was world wide. The Bible clearly declares the flood was global. The historical document reads: “The deluge went on for forty days upon the earth . . . And the waters overwhelmed the earth so greatly that all the tall mountains that were under the whole heavens came to be covered. Up to fifteen cubits the waters overwhelmed them and the mountains became covered.”—Genesis 7:17-20.
"For, according to their [those who ridicule] wish, this fact escapes their notice, that there were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water and in the midst of water by the word of God; and by those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water." 2 Peter 3:5,6
Some may wonder if the story of the whole earth being covered with water is a myth or at least an exaggeration. To some extent the earth is still flooded. Seawater covers about 71 percent of the earth’s surface. So in reality the floodwaters are still here.

Atruthseeker

I believe the flood was world wide. The Bible clearly declares the flood was global. The historical document reads: “The deluge went on for forty days upon the earth . . . And the waters overwhelmed the earth so greatly that all the tall mountains that were under the whole heavens came to be covered. Up to fifteen cubits the waters overwhelmed them and the mountains became covered.”—Genesis 7:17-20.
"For, according to their [those who ridicule] wish, this fact escapes their notice, that there were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water and in the midst of water by the word of God; and by those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water." 2 Peter 3:5,6
Some may wonder if the story of the whole earth being covered with water is a myth or at least an exaggeration. To some extent the earth is still flooded. Seawater covers about 71 percent of the earth’s surface. So in reality the floodwaters are still here.
Like I said, I'm not 100% convinced because even though it says the earth, it could mean land. I'm not 100% sure on the original word used. For instance, in the new testament it says the good news had been preached in the entire earth, but it hadn't, it simply meant the then known world. Also, the famous scripture about the meek inheriting the earth is also translated as land. Young's Literal Translation
'Happy the meek -- because they shall inherit the land.
And here's a footnote :
5:5 Blessed are the meek. The mild, the gentle, opposed to the proud and ambitious, the kind who succeed in such a kingdom as the Jews expected.
Shall inherit the earth. The land; Canaan as the type of all blessings: It is the heavenly land especially that is inherited. The especial reference is to the Messiah's kingdom, of which the land of Canaan was a type.

All I'm saying is I need to do further research.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is very little in Genesis that I believe is both factual and historic.
There was a flood in the fault line north of egypt connecting the two oceans. This probably was exagerated in tribal memory.

Even though there is evidence that a very large local flood happened around the middle east, I do not take that as evidence for a litteral Noahs flood even on a local scale, though it could of course be exactly that.

There is a point to the flood story, a lesson to tell, thats its purpose as far as I am concerned, ie without God on our side we are doomed full stop, all wickedness will perish and we take life for granted at our peril.
A message of deliverance.

Regardless of any Christians view of the text and its relation to real events I think we all wind up getting the same message in the end.

RomCat

How can you have a flood of that magnitude
that would not be world wide? Water seeks
its own level.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I think at some point we here at RF need to stop starting multiple threads echoing the same theme. This particular subject has already been started in another thread.

LittleNipper

The Bible says that the highest points of the earth were covered up by 20 cubics. The fact that water seeks the lowest point would indicate to me that the FLOOD covered the entire earth.

gnostic

The Lost One
If the highest mountains were covered, then the water wouldn't just disappear in a year. Where did the water go?

And if there was a global flood, then why are there no discontinuity in the dynasties, civilisations and cultures like that of Egypt and Mesopotamian cities. Those cities (in Egypt and Mesopotamia) would exist, because they were not built in highlands. And considered the fact that both kingdoms or city-states are located near the rivers (eg. Nile, Euphrates and Tigris), where they experience annual floods that help them irrigate farmlands, flooding is nothing unusual in these places, and global flood would have ended their civilisation completely, but nothing of the sort happen in 2nd half of the 3rd millennium BC, which is when Noah's Flood supposed took place at some points.

Only 366 years separate between the time Noah disembarked from the ark and the time Abraham left Haran at age 75. So the Flood COULDN'T HAPPEN in the 1st half of the 3rd millennium BC. The Wikipedia put the Flood about 2350 BC. I put the date around 2104 BC, according to my calculation, using the Jewish calendar.

gnostic

The Lost One
logician said:
A made up story, like many in the bible.

Not wholly made up.

I would say there were a bit of borrowing from the Sumerian/Babylonian myths, and changing the polytheistic religion into monotheistic one.

Bick

MY COMMENTS: Yes, I believe it was a world wide flood.

Why? God's Word says so. Genesis 7:21ff reads, "And all flesh died that moved on the earth, birds, domestic animals, wild animals, all swarming creatures that swarm the earth, and all human beings; every thing on dry land in whose nostrils was the breath of life died.
He blotted out every living thing that was on the face of the ground, human beings and animals and creeping things and birds of the air; they were blotted out from the earth." NRSV.

While the earth is relatively stable today (mountains are still rising in parts of the world). Nothing says there were very high mountains at the time of the flood. The mountains of Ararat could have been much lower than today. In fact, at that time the land masses may have been joined together (called Pangea), as the theory states. It would then make sense that "in the days of Peleg the earth was divided" (Gen. 10:25), possible meaning the continents were formed. Peleg was only the fifth generation from Noah.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
MY COMMENTS: Yes, I believe it was a world wide flood.

While the earth is relatively stable today (mountains are still rising in parts of the world). Nothing says there were very high mountains at the time of the flood.

Then you run the risk of trying to figure out why the geological record does not show evidence of a world wide flood. I know what your bible says but geologist have actually studied the earth and see no traces of this.

You also have to account for other civilizations, namely the Egyptians and the Sumerians who were still alive during the proposed date (given by creationist and other bible literalist). And why they didn't seem to realize that they were under water.

The mountains of Ararat could have been much lower than today.

Could have been but you have to establish the evidence for your assumption.

In fact, at that time the land masses may have been joined together (called Pangea), as the theory states. It would then make sense that "in the days of Peleg the earth was divided" (Gen. 10:25), possible meaning the continents were formed. Peleg was only the fifth generation from Noah.

If this is your stance then you don't understand the geological hypothesis dealing with Pangea. This super continent supposedly existed over 250 million years ago. Supposedly when the super continent started to breakup was about 175 million years ago. This would mean that the biblical story contained in Genesis doesn't fit the geological hypothesis of Pangea.

See link here: (Pangaea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Muffled

Jesus in me
If the highest mountains were covered, then the water wouldn't just disappear in a year. Where did the water go?

And if there was a global flood, then why are there no discontinuity in the dynasties, civilisations and cultures like that of Egypt and Mesopotamian cities. Those cities (in Egypt and Mesopotamia) would exist, because they were not built in highlands. And considered the fact that both kingdoms or city-states are located near the rivers (eg. Nile, Euphrates and Tigris), where they experience annual floods that help them irrigate farmlands, flooding is nothing unusual in these places, and global flood would have ended their civilisation completely, but nothing of the sort happen in 2nd half of the 3rd millennium BC, which is when Noah's Flood supposed took place at some points.

Only 366 years separate between the time Noah disembarked from the ark and the time Abraham left Haran at age 75. So the Flood COULDN'T HAPPEN in the 1st half of the 3rd millennium BC. The Wikipedia put the Flood about 2350 BC. I put the date around 2104 BC, according to my calculation, using the Jewish calendar.

My calculations put the flood at circa 3850 BC. According to Wikipedia there were no dynasties in this prehistoric period of Egypt.. One would have to examine the dating of artifacts to determine if there was a gap. However Wikipedia did say there was a continuity of culture during this period based on artifacts.

Wikipedia shows a significant Euphrates flood at c 3350 which ceratainly puts it in range since the bible has a 500 year mystery in it.

This obviously isn't something where you can just look at a bone and say aliens landed there 200 million years ago.

I personally tend to think of it as a localized flood but 40 days of rain could give you 40 inches of rain and that would make for an awesome flood.

Troublemane

Anyone recall where they found cave paintings that are under water? I am thinking they are in France somewhere? I know its in the Mediterranean, somewhere. Anyway, I wonder if the "global" flood myth originates from the glacial ice melting after the last ice age? That would be about 10,000 years ago, which coincides pretty well with y-chromosomal adam.

Just sayin. The end of the ice age would have seemed like a global flood. So, the story could have an actual basis in fact.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yes; I believe it happens every day. It makes sense, symbolically.