• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in a literal devil?

Is there a literal Devil?

• The Devil is literal (I’m an Abrahamic monotheist)

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • The Devil is literal (I’m of Left Hand Path belief)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Devil is literal (Other religion)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • The Devil is not literal (Abrahamic)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • The Devil is not literal (LHP)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The Devil is not literal (other)

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What post am I replying to? You don't know, do you, because I didn't quote it. I just read two posts that have absolutely no context because they did not quote.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That strikes me as more convenient than helpful. How, for example, does such a view enrich one's understanding of the Balaam story or, for that matter, the entire book of Job?
By understanding that Job is a fictitious story that is designed to teach. Stories quite commonly will insert characters as a literary device.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I believe in a literary devil -- I've read thousands of books he (and once in a while she) appears in. But then again, orcs, gremlins and puppeteers have all appeared in books, too, and never, ever been reified.

Ebionite

I have no basis. So far as i know, the titles of Devil and Lucifer are exclusively Christian in origin. It just seems as though these names are interchangeable with Satan. Now that you brought it to my attention, perhaps i have been mistaken about this.
The name of Lucifer (morning star) is in the KJV in relation to the king of Babylon, and the morning star was referred to by Peter:

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
2 Peter 1:19

The name of Lucifer is also recited as part of the Catholic Exultset.