• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe In Dragons?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
This is a question for the theists of the forum.

Do you believe in dragons?
And I do mean actual spiritual or physical dragons like those mentioned in Chinese legends or fairytales.

Now, before you go all "this is a silly question" on me, consider this:
Legends of dragons exist in most of the major cultures in some form or other, just like the concept of gods.
Stories telling of dragons far out-date all of the worlds major religions by several thousand years and thus have more history behind them.
Also, there is no lack of books about dragons.

Still, assuming that your answer will nonetheless be "no"...

If you believe in a god/gods, why do you not believe in dragons?

Midnight Pete

Biblically, the sevil is sometimes referred to as a serpent or dragon-- the epitome of evil.. And I do believe in the devil. But in Asian culture, dragons are thought to be divine. Interesting how so many cultures have the same tropes or symbols. The serpent is usually a symbol of evil, and the eagle is usually good or noble. Animal imagery is pretty universal.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe in the sidhe. Some interpretations of these beings led to legends of dragons.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Where do ideas about dragons come from?

Hard to say, but they crop up all over the place. From the Norse myths about the serpent that encircled Midgard to Mayan feathered serpent-gods and Chinese spiritual dragons the earliest myths I've come across date to at least 2000 BC and maybe as far back as 5000 BC.

Interesting to note though that with three replies none answered my question... :sarcastic

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
This is a question for the theists of the forum.

Do you believe in dragons?
And I do mean actual spiritual or physical dragons like those mentioned in Chinese legends or fairytales.

Now, before you go all "this is a silly question" on me, consider this:
Legends of dragons exist in most of the major cultures in some form or other, just like the concept of gods.
Stories telling of dragons far out-date all of the worlds major religions by several thousand years and thus have more history behind them.
Also, there is no lack of books about dragons.

Still, assuming that your answer will nonetheless be "no"...

*raises hand* What does "actual spiritual" mean? How are we to take that?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hard to say, but they crop up all over the place. From the Norse myths about the serpent that encircled Midgard to Mayan feathered serpent-gods and Chinese spiritual dragons the earliest myths I've come across date to at least 2000 BC and maybe as far back as 5000 BC.

Interesting to note though that with three replies none answered my question... :sarcastic

Because I don't think giant-reptile concepts evolved the same way as god-concepts. (Though if you're talking 7000 years ago, I think it's a fair guess that there were god-concepts back then, as well.)

By the way, my answer is yes, I do believe in dragons. They live on the island of Komodo, and belong to the monitor lizard family. :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Unless reality is a figment of my imagination, then I would claim as much.
So, actually spiritual like you... okay. :D

I'd say that the image of "God" that refers to the creator of reality isn't comparable to any part of that reality that's created, be it real or imagined.

Renji

Well, the "dragon" and "serpent" are symbols representing Satan, the "ancient enemy". But I don't think it's literal that Satan is a dragon or a serpent.