• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe In Dragons?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think I need to interject to say something important:

I can't read the title of this thread without mentally sticking "... in a young girl's heart" onto the end of it.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Because dragons are as actually spiritual as you are. :p

Unless you mean "spiritual" in the most metaphorical way possible, I don't consider myself to have anything resembling a "spirit", "soul" or whatever you choose to call it. ;)

I used spiritual in the question in the OP because some of the dragons of legend are described that way.

BruceDLimber

OK. Then my original response--basically, ~no, only Komodos~--was responsive; and all the rest of this conversation was unnecessary. So let's end it here.

Primordial Annihilator

OK. Then my original response--basically, ~no, only Komodos~--was responsive; and all the rest of this conversation was unnecessary. So let's end it here.

Komodos are fascinating creatures....descended from relics of much older times that became isolated on some islands...and survived man...so far.

Gloone

This is a question for the theists of the forum.

Do you believe in dragons?
And I do mean actual spiritual or physical dragons like those mentioned in Chinese legends or fairytales.

Now, before you go all "this is a silly question" on me, consider this:
Legends of dragons exist in most of the major cultures in some form or other, just like the concept of gods.
Stories telling of dragons far out-date all of the worlds major religions by several thousand years and thus have more history behind them.
Also, there is no lack of books about dragons.

Still, assuming that your answer will nonetheless be "no"...

If you believe in a god/gods, why do you not believe in dragons?
I am not real sure if this is considered a dragon, but it is close and I would consider a phoenix to be something that resembles cultures/society/religion/people and what not. The reason why is the phoenix would live for 500 years and when it aged it would build a nest, engulf itself in flames, turn to ashes and from the ashes a new rejuvenated spawn would awaken. To me this spawn resembles a change in society, life, people, and culture, and so on for some new way of life usually a better one.

phoenix.jpg

St Giordano Bruno

Fossils IMO would have played a huge part in the belief in dragons; most certainly in China and almost certain in Europe. What would some middle age prospector or quarry miner thought in his ignorance palaeontology he stumbled on huge winged pterosaur fossil? He could use it corroborate his belief in huge winged mythical creatures that dwelled deep within the earth.