• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe In Dragons?

Libra

I think all of the stories about dragons originated from Draco. Draco is the third deacon for Sagittarius. Of course I think the zodiac prophecy originated from Enoch.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Well, I for one believe in Dragons but I don't believe in God. Unless you count the Dragon God of Wiltawinia. According to the Wiltawinians, the Dragon God formed the world out of stardust and moon sand. He then breathed energy into the universe with his firey breath, giving life to all creatures big and small.

This Divine Being takes the form of a giant dragon, with bright colorful scales of all shades and hues. But His most fearsome and awe-inspiring features are His vast bat-like wings which, when unfurled in His wrath or at His pleasure, can span the entire distance of our planet's greatest oceans.

So, you see, the OP is really just a matter of personal perspective. There are Dragons, there are Gods, then there are Dragon Gods. So it goes.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Well, I for one believe in Dragons but I don't believe in God. Unless you count the Dragon God of Wiltawinia. According to the Wiltawinians, the Dragon God formed the world out of stardust and moon sand. He then breathed energy into the universe with his firey breath, giving life to all creatures big and small.

This Divine Being takes the form of a giant dragon, with bright colorful scales of all shades and hues. But His most fearsome and awe-inspiring features are His vast bat-like wings which, when unfurled in His wrath or at His pleasure, can span the entire distance of our planet's greatest oceans.

So, you see, the OP is really just a matter of personal perspective. There are Dragons, there are Gods, then there are Dragon Gods. So it goes.

Okay, I'm really just kidding. I don't believe anything like that. But I am currently trying to sell a fantasy novel to a publisher and it is stuff like the above that provides relatively good practice for my prose.

Another discussion in which I'm involved in this forum reminded me of something that relates to this subject; I wish I had thought of this sooner for this thread ....

The King James Version of the bible mentions not only dragons, but also unicorns. So, if someone wanted to justify their belief in dragons (and/or unicorns) using a bible as their primary support, the KJV is the way to go.
:yes:

St Giordano Bruno

bearded-dragon.jpg

Care to downscale it lot for this Australian bearded dragon.
Kind of cute isn't it!

ZooGirl02

I don't really believe in Chinese dragons unless they somehow received their myths from seeing what is known or was known as a sea serpent. As for European dragons, I suppose they could be derived from some sort of reptiles that may have been in existence back then but are now extinct or extremely rare. However, I find the fire breathing part to be a little bit hard to believe although I suppose it is possible.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
fantôme profane;2251210 said:
Do you think “Gods” make better pets than dragons?

Yes, they do. They don't need much maintenance, wash themselves, do their business in tidy litter trays and make pleasant purring noises when you stroke them. They also keep the mice down.

A

angellous_evangellous

fantôme profane;2251210 said:
Do you think “Gods” make better pets than dragons?

Only if the god doesn't breathe fire, bite, and pee on the rug.

Duck

And that is the wrong answer...
We're talking about the dragons of legend.
And while pretty awesome, the Komodo dragons are just big lizards.

So, any chance of seeing an actual answer? ;)

I have mixed feelings about many things of legendary character. While these things are pretty prevalent throughout the various human societies, I am not sure how much would be based in reality and how much is based on a version of the telephone game. You know, Zog and Groo are out hunting, run into an angry bear (standing on its hind legs) which bats Zog across the clearing, Groo runs away. Then tells the story. Pretty soon, after 2 or 3 or 30 tellings, the bear is this giant man thing that Zog turned into, which Groo defeated by using his magical pretty rock or something. Same thing with dragons. The thing goes from, "holy **** did you see the size of that alligator!", to "I swear that thing swooped in from the sky and tried to roast us with its firey breath!" And so, Dragons!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
fantôme profane;2251916 said:
From what I hear they do talk back quite a bit, however they always seem to say exactly what their owners want them to say.

Exactly. "Talking back" typically implies being fairly rude. :D

Then again, my gods tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. (most of the time, anyway.)

BruceDLimber

The question was not about belief in Komodo dragons.

It was about the dragons of legend.

Then the original question was defective because it didn't SAY that!

And you can't impose an ex post facto restriction on the question and still consider the query to have been fully valid. That's the logical fallacy called "shifting ground."

Bruce

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Then the original question was defective because it didn't SAY that!

And you can't impose an ex post facto restriction on the question and still consider the query to have been fully valid. That's the logical fallacy called "shifting ground."

Bruce

The OP states quite clearly:

"Do you believe in dragons? And I do mean actual spiritual or physical dragons like those mentioned in Chinese legends or fairytales."

Why are you confused?