• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in God?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I know. But thanks.
Are you a pantheist? If not that's a refutation of your God argument right there in my view. If so it would be an internal contradiction as parts of the universe are more merciful than the whole indifferent universe making your God less merciful than things Islam generally doesn't want worshipped (such as a parent for example) in my view.

And if your God argument is refuted (which at this point I believe we can successfully say it is) then your God argument is logically unsound or put another way using shorthand, we may say your argument for God is illogical.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Can you explain how exactly that constitutes an advancement in philosophy or theology?
Philosophy and theology are ideas, thoughts, contemplations on the Mysteries of the world, history, the mind, everything. Exchanging ideas and thoughts help them expand. Sure, it's going to be difficult to go up against Socrates, Plato, Lucretius, and the like, but today's modern thinkers do attempt it, and make a little progress here and there.
I have no idea what you mean by 'advances'.
Then you need to read some history on religions-- beliefs and practices.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I don't have links. But if you wish, you can read Ibn Rushd and his Wajibul Wujood.
Why are you quoting this again after i already in my view refuted it for you? Shouldnt you at least attempt a counter refutation in this thread?
Or Juwaini's Irshad. Or you could try the contingency argument and the Qur'anic Necessary Being description that corresponds with it. Maybe if you search for them you might find some links somewhere. If not get their books. Good reads.

Irshad appears to be a collection of arguments. Why not share his arguments here one at a time for potential refutation as his book contains extensive introductory material and other waffle to wade through.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
why are some people today trying to bring back the past?
People tend to idealize the past and fear the future. In a time of turmoil like we're living in, many look to a past that never really existed. Some tend to denigrate the past by the standards of today. Personally my view is that religions in the past made the world a better place than it would have been otherwise. Christianity inspired people to build amazing religious structures, inspired people to end slavery and gave hope in a world full of darkness. By the standards of today, the religions of the past were flawed instruments and the scriptures full of both positive and negative elements. But like anything else, individual religions are born, mature and finally the traditional religious structures die.

That death to me is evident in the media. We have people who claim to be truly religious who choose "mammon" over God, in Christian terms. They do this by putting political expediency and political power over the Sermon on the Mount's moral imperatives. We've had endless examples of people in religious authority committing horrible crimes while hypocritically pretending to be devout. Others, noting that things were apparently better in the past trying to force people into structures that have no life in them any longer.

People with religious beliefs are being challenged to find a new path which retains the positive essence of their religions in new ways.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It was for a different discussion with a different person.
So you are prepared to spread ignorance by spreading refuted arguments?

I believe honesty requires that rather than looking for people who may not be aware of the refutations to spread those arguments to one should either label them as refuted arguments when spreading them or provide counter refutation that upholds them
Nope. Thanks for the challenge though.
Why are you afraid of having Irshad's arguments refuted? Is it because your job depends on the spread of ignorance? Personally I would just find a new job.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You didn’t give me a book.

Why not just quote the part that talks about how saying that religion is a team sport is somehow a logical fallacy?

And then I can cite sources from historians and anthropologists that suggest otherwise.
The book was for you to understand logical fallacies. You calling them "internet logic". And I did give you a book. If you think giving you a book is to buy it and mail it to you then you are sadly mistaken. Find it.

danieldemol

Premium Member
So what? What argument are you so badly looking for?
I'm inviting you to make a counter refutation that upholds your religion so we can see for ourselves that you are being truthful when you claim there are logical arguments that uphold your God.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Philosophy and theology are ideas, thoughts, contemplations on the Mysteries of the world, history, the mind, everything. Exchanging ideas and thoughts help them expand. Sure, it's going to be difficult to go up against Socrates, Plato, Lucretius, and the like, but today's modern thinkers do attempt it, and make a little progress here and there.

Then you need to read some history on religions-- beliefs and practices.

Ah, so what you mean by 'advance' is 'expand'.
I agree that philosophy and theology keep expanding every day. But I don't call that advancing per se.

Emergentism, for example, is not an advancement when compared to dualism. It is just a different model.