• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in good?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think good is that which promotes well-being. That would match up with some of the definitions in the OP, more or less.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I believe morality is totally subjective and the notion of 'good' is incredibly important because of this. I don't believe there is any objective list of 'good actions' nor do I think there is any objective way to qualify or quantify 'good'. We do continue to make lists and and qualify it all the same, and I am all for that. Objectivity isn't necessary.

Straw Dog

I believe in good, but I think we need to look at the psychology behind why we as humans call things good or bad, as well as understanding our own personal beliefs on the subject. I'm dubious of approaching a complex subject like morality with dogmatic presuppositions.

What do you think the psychology and personal understanding reveal about the subject of good, such that we can discern faulty presuppositions when they arise?

Straw Dog

I guess good is a type of contrast essentially. I would take it's contrast that I would be recognizing with a perception of good as it is noticed. Im not quite sure if belief would be applicable for my personal view. Im usually hesitant to use the word belief anymore because of change. :0)

It does seem somewhat awkward to say that a person believes in good in the metaphysical or absolute sense. Perhaps it would make more sense to believe in goodwill or consequences. It also does seem to depend upon a contrast forming between preconceived values. At any rate, a declaration is being made at some point that some thing or event is good or well. It doesn't appear that this would be the case unless particular situations required resolution.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Interesting. Could you please describe in what ways they are similar and in what ways they are different?

Somethings are just plain good like water and gentleness with a baby....some are individually good like specific foods or a night of dancing and drinking beer with friends. A lot of times we look at this stuff or things like determinism vs free-will and think it must be one or the other but plain duality is pretty much always flawed.

I use good in the meaning of ability to bring holistic health, happiness, or well-being - which is encoded in English and other Germanic languages naturally.

I think it takes flexibility and wisdom to approach a moment or issue as an individual reaching the highest good instead of some ability to follow a plainly laid out all-encompassing universal good.

MD

qualiaphile
Consumerism, liberalism, atheism and promoting sociopathic behaviours for 'economic growth' killed off what was considered good. Then again good might have just been something a few individuals had and this elusive goal society aspired towards.

Strong is better than good.

Straw Dog

Consumerism, liberalism, atheism and promoting sociopathic behaviours for 'economic growth' killed off what was considered good. Then again good might have just been something a few individuals had and this elusive goal society aspired towards.

I can see how rampant consumerism and sociopathic behavior are contrary to the common good, but how does liberalism and atheism negatively effect what is good?

Strong is better than good.

What do you mean by 'strong'? Do you believe that might makes something right?

Straw Dog

I believe morality is totally subjective and the notion of 'good' is incredibly important because of this. I don't believe there is any objective list of 'good actions' nor do I think there is any objective way to qualify or quantify 'good'. We do continue to make lists and and qualify it all the same, and I am all for that. Objectivity isn't necessary.

It does appear to arise subjectively or intersubjectively. However, this is only an appearance or a category for a mind that has not dropped subject/object duality. It'll be interesting to hear more from those arguing that it is an objective quantity or quality. There must be a bridge somewhere. Personally see these as shifting categories without a static foundation.

How do you define subjectivity? How do you define objectivity?

Petson

Petson
Goodness and badness is the part of live, if something happened good to us we say its my good day somewhere goodness is attached to your behavior how you react with others, if you will be good with others that make you feel good and happy

Cardboard

Because we have an interest in our fellows also feeling gratification and happiness. They're part of it.

The interest is only there for self gratification and fulfillment.

A person does “good” for others to feel better about themself as a person, granted there may be physical or mental hardships for doing so, but in the end it is for self fulfillment. It is ultumatly for selfish reasons.