• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You believe that Moses actually existed?

ashai

Ushta All

Of course he did! But in the sense that there was a law maker that laid down the Torah, not in the sense of the Moses of the Exodus from Egypt etc.

You cannot explain the birth of a faith out of whole cloth. But the character of the founder is usually embellished. I believe that there is plenty of evidence to refute the Exodus from Egypt and thus the plagues etc. The rest is, probably, fairly accurate minus miracles, I would say.

As to the authenticity and historicity of the Exodus , please check out the book A View from Mt. Nebo. I believe is still available at Amazon. Also add up the amount of Israelites fleeing Egypt according to Numbers . While you are at it note that women and small children are not mentioned in most instances. If you do this you will reach a reasonable estimate of between 400,000 to 1.5 million people. That large body of people walking up and down the Sinai would had to leave behind enough trash and discardings to be an archeological treasure trove. There is no archeological evidence in the whole of Sinai for a migration of those numbers for 40 years

Ushta te
Ashai

ashai

Udshta Becky

Muhammad is a historical figure that is we have contemporary independent testimony that he existed. There is no such thing for Noah. That is the difference. indeed there is a Sumerian story of a "Noah" ( with an unpronounceable name., U something, dont recall right now) that is older than the Biblical Noah. That is a fact which makes it very likely that Noah, of the Bible, was a myth, a legend. That and his age, etc; mark him as a very unlikely person to be considered as real.

Ushta te
Ashai

Smoke

Done here.
ashai said:
indeed there is a Sumerian story of a "Noah" ( with an unpronounceable name., U something, dont recall right now)
Utnapishtim, which was presumably pronounceable to Babylonians. ;)

ashai

Ushta Midnight

Yup you are right ! They must have been able to pronounce it I certainly can't though!!