• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you consider RF .....

Do you consider RF...

• Total voters

stvdv

Veteran Member
Friendly,
Weighty,
A fun place,
A battleground of issues,
A place to grow,
A place for those who wish to ridicule,
A human experiment,
Mostly secular members,
Mostly religious members,
A safe place for discussion,

Not for the faint of heart,
Everything listed,
Nothing I listed?
Also for the faint of heart.
Because the members are very friendly, so the "faint of heart" feels welcome, thereby overcoming his fears, and becoming "firm of heart"

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Friendly,
Weighty,
A fun place,
A place to grow,
A human experiment,
Mostly secular members,
Everything listed,
Nothing I listed,

Or something else?

You left out the slim chance of gaining access to sunstones beer locker.

A Vestigial Mote

So you say there is a better motivation behind the ridicule. I can see that. I might call it chastisement. If someone violates my conscience I might be open to do it. Then again I don't expect people to be of the same conscience as I am. Perhaps in a general way with such things as honesty and credibility that might raise my ire.
I sort of liken it to satire. In a way, the end goal in satire is what I am after. Attempt to paint the thing in a comical or hyperbolic light to expose its weaknesses. Many people will balk at personal attributions of such ridicule, but will fully support and join in on satirical commentary when the aim is elsewhere.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Friendly and sometimes no so much
Weighty with a light-hearted element
Usually a fun place but sometimes a frustrating place
A battleground of issues, a place to chat
A place to learn
A place for those who wish to ridicule, and for those who want to understand
A human experiment,
With secular members, and
With religious members,
A safe place for discussion, rocks and bullets dont travel far on the interweb
Not for the faint of heart, i dont see why not, anyone can fit in here

A nice place to be compared to some of the food fights often misnamed as internet forums

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Members responsible for 99% of all posts:
Ha! nice propaganda, but not true...even if the 13 top posters had your 156,000, that's only a tad over 33 percent...none of them has half as many posts as you...You yourself are about 2.5 percent of all posts, but only one other poster (I think) is over 1 percent...

Is my geekiness showing?:D

GoodbyeDave

How about "a bit of a waste of time"? I stopped coming here a year ago, but I've come back to see how it is. The answer is "worse". By the time one has ignored the politics, evangelical Christianity, evangelical atheism, and the just plain silly, there's not much left. Now I generally go to reddit. There you can post on anything — no DIRs — but the rules against bad manners and prostelisation are firmly enforced in all the religious subreddits. There are any number of posts here which would get deleted there, and some members who'd be banned.

james bond

Friendly,
Weighty,
A fun place,
A place to grow,
A human experiment,
Mostly secular members,
Everything listed,
Nothing I listed,

Or something else?

This is a good thread. Can you add a poll tho? Allow for multiple answers? Also, add a vote for Other (please explain).

That would make it ver-r-r-r-ry interesting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ha! nice propaganda, but not true...even if the 13 top posters had your 156,000, that's only a tad over 33 percent...none of them has half as many posts as you...You yourself are about 2.5 percent of all posts, but only one other poster (I think) is over 1 percent...

Is my geekiness showing?:D
I'm correct for large values of 13.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How about "a bit of a waste of time"? I stopped coming here a year ago, but I've come back to see how it is. The answer is "worse". By the time one has ignored the politics, evangelical Christianity, evangelical atheism, and the just plain silly, there's not much left. Now I generally go to reddit. There you can post on anything — no DIRs — but the rules against bad manners and prostelisation are firmly enforced in all the religious subreddits. There are any number of posts here which would get deleted there, and some members who'd be banned.
Try the joke threads.
It's where the smart, happy, good looking, & civil posters are.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Prime reason for being here - more tolerant. :D (Oops, I've been banned from at least one forum - intolerant bunch of &$$£$%^$-heads)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
A human experiment,
Mostly secular members,

These are the boxes I checked.
(Maybe I'm missing something, according to the poll I'm the only votero_O)

I see the best thing about RF as being it's very secular nature. By secular, I don't mean non-theist, much less antitheistic. I mean "of no particular theistic persuasion". Same with political views. A poster might express virtually any (legal) opinion, and it's on a level playing field with every other opinion. I've been on a ton of forums, RF is unique in that regard. From IIDB, to Erwin's "Christian Forums", to Atheist Network, I've never seen another forum as secular as RF. On every other forum, the playing field and moderation were decidedly tilted in some direction or another.

On an internet increasingly dominated by echo chambers, when it comes to religious and political issues, RF is a paragon of secular values and free exchange of ideas.
I dumped all the rest of my forum entanglements shortly after joining here.

Tom

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Friendly,
Weighty,
A fun place,
A place to grow,
A human experiment,
Mostly secular members,
Everything listed,
Nothing I listed,

Or something else?
In addition to my votes I view this as only partially friendly. Its anonymous, and so no matter how much I grow to like people here I cannot fulfill the friendship. That is the downside of 'Anonymous'. The upside is discussing things without concern for your own background and relations. Its a freedom with a price. Additionally a forum like this can supplement but not replace a social life and family.

As for growth, it can help people grow in certain dimensions but not in all necessary dimensions. Its a supplement like toast can supplement breakfast.

As for mostly religious: yes. Maturing in wisdom at an early age is the most attainable goal of a religion. What makes someone religious is their discipline and maturity. All other accomplishments such as love are subjective, particularly in an anonymous forum. A person may think themselves loving yet not be so or forgiving but in fact may be retributive. Discipline is not subjective, and wisdom shows results. I absolutely view most members here including some secular ones as religious. Religious does not mean 'Perfected'. At the same time I view some people who regards themselves as religious not to be religious if they behave immaturely. Discipline and politeness are one of the first lessons that a religion teaches. The more difficult lessons often require a lifetime to attain. We cannot, then, say who is religious based upon subjective things but only on the basis of their maturity; and if they have no maturity then there is no basis for me, in an anonymous forum, to say that they are religious. If they are mature and have some self control then it seems to me that there is.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
These are the boxes I checked.
(Maybe I'm missing something, according to the poll I'm the only votero_O)

I see the best thing about RF as being it's very secular nature. By secular, I don't mean non-theist, much less antitheistic. I mean "of no particular theistic persuasion". Same with political views. A poster might express virtually any (legal) opinion, and it's on a level playing field with every other opinion. I've been on a ton of forums, RF is unique in that regard. From IIDB, to Erwin's "Christian Forums", to Atheist Network, I've never seen another forum as secular as RF. On every other forum, the playing field and moderation were decidedly tilted in some direction or another.

On an internet increasingly dominated by echo chambers, when it comes to religious and political issues, RF is a paragon of secular values and free exchange of ideas.
I dumped all the rest of my forum entanglements shortly after joining here.

Tom

I added the poll much later than I posted the thread. Interesting comment!