• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel out of place?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am aware of only one other Druid within the county I live in, and several surrounding counties. I only know of a few Shamans within that area. There are many other Pagans though.
I use to get alot of glares, and poor treatment, but as time passed, and more people comming out of the closet, it got easier, to the point the only problems come from the zealous and evangelical Christian crowd.

I'm going to guess that, since the midwest has so many different cultures in general, and it's generally more liberal than, say, the west coast, that you don't feel out of place.
There are many different groups, but it's the ones who have larger numbers and more power that matter. Kokomo, Indiana, has dozens of churches, the town is not friendly towards gays, and since the KKK is still strong here, blacks are virtually quartined to one particular part of town. They don't all live in the same part of town as a since of bonding. It's for there own protection.
I'm just waiting for the next revival in town to wear my "Pagan America" shirt once again to remind them the town is not Christian.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
L.A. is very diverse in culture. I could choose pretty much any religion I wanted and I wouldn't have a problem fitting in.

EponaRose

Tree-Hugging Pagan
How about being a Druid in a house full of Wiccans?

Actually northern California is pretty Pagan friendly so I don't feel too out of place. But the nearest Druid grove (that I know of) is like 60 miles away.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
what with the purple mohawk, full face 'toos and multiple body piercings, i feel oddly out of place wherever i go.

just kidding,
!Fluffy!

ayani

yes, sometimes. the small city where i live is mostly Christian- an interesting mix of Evangelical, Quaker, and Catholic.

i have no house of worship of my own, so sometimes i'll drop by St. Mary's for mass, which i enjoy and am grateful for. i do get stares and questions, but i welcome the latter and don't worry much about the former.

people's levels of tolerance of non-Christian faiths (or other Christian denominations) vary. depends on what neighborhood you go to, and whom you talk to.

i live in pa but its semi diverse here but the majority of people are catholic -- i dont feel out of place at all -- the only thing that freaks me out is the ashes on ash wednesday its like they all got the sign of the devil on them -- freaks me out -- why you would walk around with black ashes smeared on you forehead - but hey to each his own