• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Find Ietsism a Likely and/or Plausible Belief?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Originally a Dutch term, ietsism is a form of nontheism that asserts there is some unspecified transcendent reality beyond the mundane. It is expressed in the statement, "I feel there must be more to reality than the physical universe, but I have no idea what that 'more' could be."

Do you find ietsism a likely and/or plausible belief?

Please Note: The spelling of ietsism has been corrected.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I do, but more in the way that we define "physical reality" as what we are able to discern with our senses. Since we know our senses are limited and our brains can only model the information they give us in discriminating ways, it is likely that reality beyond our senses is very different and extraordinary (in the true sense of the word) from what we experience.

And even with what we do extrapolate from our ability to technologically enhance our senses and logically map the territory beyond them, what we find is pretty awe-inspiring and transcendent if we allow ourselves to emotionally respond to it.

amorphous_constellation

Originally a Dutch term, Letsism is a form of nontheism that asserts there is some unspecified transcendent reality beyond the mundane. It is expressed in the statement, "I feel there must be more to reality than the physical universe, but I have no idea what that 'more' could be."

Do you find letsism a likely and/or plausible belief?

Seems like it's related closely to agnosticism, or it's like an incremental step away from it toward some kind of theism. I guess it's useful, but the person practicing it is probably not pleased with their lack of knowledge. A good human goal is to know, we are surely here to find answers if we can

This has got to be one of the best character studies every composed as a song....

That fit in good with my morning I think

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Yes, although plausibility strikes me as a pretty low bar. A question: What do you think differentiates letsism from panentheism?

(You're up early, my friend.)

Seems like it's related closely to agnosticism, or it's like an incremental step away from it toward some kind of theism.

The difference, however, is that the central question addressed by both agnosticism (as commonly used) and theism (as commonly used) is that of preternatural agency.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Originally a Dutch term, Letsism is a form of nontheism that asserts there is some unspecified transcendent reality beyond the mundane. It is expressed in the statement, "I feel there must be more to reality than the physical universe, but I have no idea what that 'more' could be."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It appears that the term is Ietsism. Wikipedia notes:

"The name derives from the Dutch equivalent of the question: "Do you believe in (the conventional 'Christian') God?", a typical ietsist answer being "No, but there must be something", "something" being iets in Dutch."​

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes, although plausibility strikes me as a pretty low bar. A question: What do you think differentiates letsism from panentheism?

And how do you defend your position against the inevitable counter belief of 'Letsnotism'? (Sorry...couldn't help myself...going a little stir crazy...send help..)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yes, because there is already more to the world than the physical. And I don't even mean that in a transcendent sense.
To explain the world as a physical universe doesn't even work within the everyday world in practice.

Regards
Mikkel

PureX

Veteran Member

It's a founding principal of taoism: that we humans don't get to know the 'truth of what is'. But that we can nevertheless align ourselves with (the flow of) it, and thereby fulfill it, through honesty, humility, and spontaneity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It appears that the term is Ietsism. Wikipedia notes:

"The name derives from the Dutch equivalent of the question: "Do you believe in (the conventional 'Christian') God?", a typical ietsist answer being "No, but there must be something", "something" being iets in Dutch."​

Thank you so much! Funny story: I originally thought it was spelled with an "i". But after squinting for a while (perhaps too long) at my screen this morning, I decided it surely must be an "L" that I was looking at. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes, although plausibility strikes me as a pretty low bar.

Good point.

A question: What do you think differentiates letsism from panentheism?

Not being too knowledgeable of either, I suspect there could be a couple of differences. First, ietsism seems agnostic on the question of whether the 'something out there' that transcends the mundane is deity. Second, ietsism does not seem to insist that the 'something' pervades and interpenetrates every part of the universe. I would think, though, that a variation of ietsism could be equivalent to panentheism.

Sleep disorder. I am preparing to sue God on account of it -- and name the Pope a co-defendant.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's a founding principal of taoism: that we humans don't get to know the 'truth of what is'. But that we can nevertheless align ourselves with (the flow of) it, and thereby fulfill it, through honesty, humility, and spontaneity.

That's a very interesting comparison, PureX. Thank you for that. A bit of nuance is almost always lost when comparing Eastern and Western concepts, but I can certainly see the family resemblance -- now that you point it out.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Originally a Dutch term, ietsism is a form of nontheism that asserts there is some unspecified transcendent reality beyond the mundane. It is expressed in the statement, "I feel there must be more to reality than the physical universe, but I have no idea what that 'more' could be."

It is a likely belief and I know quite a few people who believe in "something". It is a case of wishful thinking and not accepting the harsh reality of the physical world.

Milton Platt

Please Note: The spelling of ietsism has been corrected.

Sounds a little like agnosticism.
The time to believe something is when there is sufficient evidence to warrant the belief. In this instance, the case has yet to be made.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is a likely belief and I know quite a few people who believe in "something". It is a case of wishful thinking and not accepting the harsh reality of the physical world.

How can there be wishful thinking in a purely physical world and how can it be harsh? Those are not physical properties.

Regards
Mikkel

Heyo

Veteran Member
How can there be wishful thinking in a purely physical world and how can it be harsh? Those are not physical properties.

Regards
Mikkel
From the viewpoint of someone using/needing wishful thinking, reality is harsh. That's why they try to escape.

Heyo

Veteran Member
But harsh is not a physical property and I assume those thinking that are in the physical universe.

Regards
Mikkel
Well, they don't. Or at least they hope they don't. But I'm reporting here on a group I don't really understand. So, for more detail, you'd better take it up to someone who can defend that position.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, they don't. Or at least they hope they don't. But I'm reporting here on a group I don't really understand. So, for more detail, you'd better take it up to someone who can defend that position.

No, you are using a non-physical term, harsh, which is not a part of the physical world. The same with "I don't really understand". Please explain that in purely physical terms.

Regards
Mikkel