• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Find Ietsism a Likely and/or Plausible Belief?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Yup, or just a very vivid imagination in addition to 'not wanting to disappoint' the hypnotist. I have heard many people say: "It felt like I was making it up, but it also felt real."

Having said that, I have had a spiritual experience myself (without a hypnotist) and that also felt like I was just 'daydreaming', but what I was daydreaming did happen exactly the way I daydreamed it, and... I daydream all the time, but this one stuck with me all my life. So,... you know... :shrug:
By the way. @Trailblazer is a best friend of mine though we have never met in person, and we are both of the same faith, Baha'i. I like your open mind and reasonableness. The first thing that she said to me about you is that you are autistic. I am autistic, also, and have an autistic son who can't talk who is 35.

sew.excited73

Wendy-Anne - I am Dutch/British
By the way. @Trailblazer is a best friend of mine though we have never met in person, and we are both of the same faith, Baha'i. I like your open mind and reasonableness. The first thing that she said to me about you is that you are autistic. I am autistic, also, and have an autistic son who can't talk who is 35.
Thank you. Yes, I put a note on your 'wall' for you. Didn't know whether you were open about your autism, so I worded it a bit more cryptically ;).

They also told me your real name, but not sure if you want to have that here as public knowledge either, but you can call me Wendy-Anne (once the site lets me I will change my username to that anyway).

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes, my (current) belief in a multiverse that consists of a tree whose branches split for (almost) every possibility (or at least some hierarchy of possibilities that bring forth a split of dimensions) would suggest this as well,... as there then must be a branch that has the 'yes' and a branch that has the 'no' option. So waaaaay back when, there is also a dimension where there was never any life, and that one is right next to its opposite branch where life just started, for example.
Far different than my ietsism. Multiverse is an interesting speculation. I'm dualistic because I believe life is fundamental and all these universes are offsprings from the fundamental reality. Life dimensions interact with physical dimensions. I believe existence is infinite in all directions. Universes are like a canvas with painting materials, and the backdrop of that is where eternal reality resides.

I'm interested in what the JWST has to reveal about the early universe. If we see well developed galaxies there, then what is the Big Bang after all.

sew.excited73

Far different than my ietsism. Multiverse is an interesting speculation. I'm dualistic because I believe life is fundamental and all these universes are offsprings from the fundamental reality. Life dimensions interact with physical dimensions. I believe existence is infinite in all directions. Universes are like a canvas with painting materials, and the backdrop of that is where eternal reality resides.

I'm interested in what the JWST has to reveal about the early universe. If we see well developed galaxies there, then what is the Big Bang after all.
I don’t think that’s that far different at all. I can actually find myself very well in your version too… my ideas are fluid, I just describe what I think it could be like… I am not married to its exactness.

I don’t know what JWST stands for, going to google it, but from your description it could be that rover that went past Jupiter that I don’t know the name for?

sew.excited73

I don’t think that’s that far different at all. I can actually find myself very well in you version too… my ideas are fluid, I just describe what I think it could be like… I am not married to it’s exactness.

I don’t know what JWST stands for, going to google it, but from your description it could be that rover that went past Jupiter that I don’t know the name for?
A close but no cigar! James Webb telescope.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don’t think that’s that far different at all. I can actually find myself very well in you version too… my ideas are fluid, I just describe what I think it could be like… I am not married to its exactness.

It's the James Webb Space Telescope.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Originally a Dutch term, ietsism is a form of nontheism that asserts there is some unspecified transcendent reality beyond the mundane. It is expressed in the statement, "I feel there must be more to reality than the physical universe, but I have no idea what that 'more' could be."

Do you find ietsism a likely and/or plausible belief?

Please Note: The spelling of ietsism has been corrected.

Exactly, it is this hubris within atheism and materialism that rubs me up the wrong way.

It gives me an innate feeling that is similar to when someone is lying to me.

It’s just a feeling though, and therefore it doesn’t necessarily make me right in any way. However, when I add that to some personal experiences then to me personally that means something.

So, yes, endlessvoid, that is exactly how I feel too.

Evidently, since Ietsism is so vague, basically anyone can be one though. There was a time I considered myself both an atheist and an Ietsist.
That said, even though Ietsism is a thing, I really find no communities for it anywhere, at least not any that are active. It would be nice to find something like this, with others of similar beliefs.

I am of the opinion that there could be more potentially to the universe, or something beyond our physical reality. But that doesn't necessarily make it a "god." To me, not everything that can't be explained has to be a god.

Might be, might not be. Might be nothing. Nobody knows. I certainly would not assign whatever it is to the biblical god, though.

sew.excited73

Evidently, since Ietsism is so vague, basically anyone can be one though.
Everyone is certainly welcome to be one in my opinion, but I think you meant ‘you can class everyone as an ietsist’?

If that is indeed what you meant then you might want to hide under a bed or in a cupboard quickly… because most religious people, and atheists for that matter, are NOT best pleased with ‘fence sitters’ and want us to pick a camp… preferably theirs of course (goes without saying).

We get attacked from both camps. You won’t believe how much stick one person can get for not picking sides !

sew.excited73

I really find no communities for it anywhere, at least not any that are active.
Ditto… to be honest, that’s part of what I was hoping to find here, but there’s not even a DIR for ietism yet!

Maybe you and I could lobby for one? I have been looking for a DIR for which ietsism could be a sub, but even working that out is hard! Maybe the non-religious one, together with the agnostics and atheists… that might be closest, if not still inaccurate? What do you think?

We might get Osgard and the Hammer to join us for a start?