• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you get your thou's all mixed up?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Inspired by "Addressing Gods"................

Do any of you (mostly when "ad-libbing" prayers, find yourselves getting deeper and deeper into a rut of verb Tenses? -I do.

It starts off easily enough, with "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done" when saying the Lord's prayer, but when I go off into the ad lib prayers, I find myself wrestling with
"doest" ? and all strange declensions that I am quite sure are totally wrong. Sometimes, I just have to layugh, and say "£Sorry God, bad to modern speak".......

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Hee hee. Not really, I say my prayers in Hindi. :D
I do not speak Hindi (I only know a few words) but I know the general translation of the prayers that I say. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:

Do any of you (mostly when "ad-libbing" prayers, find yourselves getting deeper and deeper into a rut of verb Tenses? -I do.

It starts off easily enough, with "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done" when saying the Lord's prayer, but when I go off into the ad lib prayers, I find myself wrestling with
"doest" ? and all strange declensions that I am quite sure are totally wrong. Sometimes, I just have to layugh, and say "£Sorry God, bad to modern speak".......
Your post really struck me funny, michel. I seriously thought that only Mormons did the whole, "thee, thou, thine" -- King James English stuff when talking to God. In my own prayers, I do back and forth between the old style and modern English all the time and have found myself saying exactly the same thing, "Uh... God, I'm sorry. Would you mind if I just got to the point in a language I'm comfortable with?" :D

uumckk16

michel said:

Haha, I would get completely lost if I tried my prayers in that kind of language. I just use modern language. The actual words I say don't really matter to me, anyway. What's more important is the feeling of connecting with the Divine.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
uumckk16 said:
Haha, I would get completely lost if I tried my prayers in that kind of language. I just use modern language. The actual words I say don't really matter to me, anyway. What's more important is the feeling of connecting with the Divine.
Actually, I'm sure you'd get lost, but it's just because it would feel awkward to you. I've been praying that way since I was three, and to me it comes perfectly natural. :)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Kungfuzed said:
Evidently, some people think God is a pirate :pirate:, whereas you think He's a silent ninja. :ninja:
God is God; he can easily be both if he wants to. (And even if he can't, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to tell him that... ;))

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
michel said:

Any ad libbed prayers I do are in modern English, and they actually only tend to be the addition of a couple of lines to other prayers anyway (for specific people etc.). Most of the prayers we use are fixed and I say those in either KJV English (because I prefer it) or Romanian. I can't say that I'd have any great problem formulating prayers with thee and thou, mind. I live in Barnsley, remember - they still speak like that here. I do find (being the grammatical pedant you know me to be, Michel) it rather irritating to see people use the grammar wrongly (thou have and thou are are particularly irritating - it's thou hast and thou art) but I never comment as I might with modern English because I think it's quite reasonable that people don't know archaic grammar - I just wish that if they didn't they wouldn't try to use it.

James

PetShopBoy88

JamesThePersian said:
(being the grammatical pedant you know me to be, Michel) it rather irritating to see people use the grammar wrongly (thou have and thou are are particularly irritating - it's thou hast and thou art)
Yeah, I find it particularly grating as well. :yes: