• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have Free Will?

Awoon

I know this has been discussed but right now on Through The Wormhole on Science channel they are saying, NO.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
While I loathe the fact that you are equating beliefs on the subject with the reality or unreality of free will, I don't have free will anymore than a rock or an insect.

And neither do you.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What the hell do they know? I'm choosing not to listen to their babbling. Free will.
I would perhaps listen to their babbling. A good many sources of media on academic subjects that are commonly put out in forms intended for the general public are things I acquaint myself with simply to know what it is that most people might be using to inform themselves regarding some topic.

I'm with you. The idea that free will doesn't exit in some limited form of self-determination of the brain (and therefore the biological systems we call humans) is pretty nonsensical to me. Had we been discussing this in the 19th century, perhaps it would be more of a problematic issue. However, the end of reductionism as an essential component of the sciences, the indeterminism of modern physics, and the advent of systems sciences all point to the completely inadequate view that determinism is universal. But it's kind of hard to argue with those who disagree if one doesn't know what the other side is using as evidence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What I find interesting is when the idea of lacking free will is personally threatening to some people, and where those emotions stem from.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What I find interesting is when the idea of lacking free will is personally threatening to some people, and where those emotions stem from.
For some, it's rather tramatic to have whole parts of the world simply denied by others. :)

We need the world, intact and just the way it/me is.

seeking4truth

Can you choose to fly - without a flying machine?

Can you choose to live in the sea like a whale?

Free will is limited 1. by natural law, 2. by civil law, 3. by moral law and 4. by spiritual law.
The first three have visible consequences in this life. The forth both in this life and the next.