• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have Free Will?

dust1n

Zindīq
So is "bovine." :)

Maybe innately, all words are, if that is what you are getting at.

But with bovine, one can say it and I pretty much know what they are referring to given any circumstance or place in which the word has been used.

Free will on the other hand is basically entirely devoid of any cogent understanding.

But perhaps if you'd like to provide one, I'd be happy to talk about why it doesn't exist or why I don't think it is "free will."

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
What is a choice?

choice [chois] Show IPA noun, adjective, choic·er, choic·est.
noun
an act or instance of choosing; selection: Her choice of a computer was made after months of research. His parents were not happy with his choice of friends.
the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option: The child had no choice about going to school.
the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen: This book is my choice. He is one of many choices for the award.
an alternative: There is another choice.
an abundance or variety from which to choose: a wide choice of candidates.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
choice [chois] Show IPA noun, adjective, choic·er, choic·est.
noun
an act or instance of choosing; selection: Her choice of a computer was made after months of research. His parents were not happy with his choice of friends.
the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option: The child had no choice about going to school.
the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen: This book is my choice. He is one of many choices for the award.
an alternative: There is another choice.
an abundance or variety from which to choose: a wide choice of candidates.
According to those definitions, I can write software that makes choices.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's your point?
You said free will is the ability to make choices, so I asked what a choice was. You showed some definitions of a choice, to which I replied that I can write software that meets those basic definitions.

Would you say my software programs have free will?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
We don't have 100% free will.

Its a combination of don't have a choice have a choice.

We aren't "gods".

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
My free will is conditional on my enviroment and things beyond my control.Including I cant see the future and that sucks.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I liken free will to a feedback loop. A furnace and a thermostat work in tandem, supplying information to each other to create a regulated system: the furnace turns on when it's too cold, or off when it's too hot based on information from the thermostat; the thermostat, in turn, records information about the environment that the furnace has affected. There's no magic about it, yet the system provides an apparently controlled outcome that defies nature (ambient temperature).

Replace the furnace with your presently conscious mind and the thermostat with memory. Memory has recorded every bit of information about what the conscious mind has done; the conscious mind, in turn, relies on that information to act. It's when the conscious mind says, "Memory is present-me in the past, having already done something," that a feedback loop is set up--a system and an apparent outcome that defies nature. Where you might have said something aloud, you look to memory and adjust what present-me does. That is will, and it is free in the sense that it can defy nature.

dust1n

Zindīq
Beside the fact that a feedback loop is usually a mechanistic description of information output and input, in which everything ought to be determined or else there wouldn't be a feedback loop, how exactly does your description of will defy nature?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Beside the fact that a feedback loop is usually a mechanistic description of information output and input, in which everything ought to be determined or else there wouldn't be a feedback loop, how exactly does your description of will defy nature?
In the same way the mechanistic description of information output and input, in which everything ought to be determined or else there wouldn't be a feedback loop, does. Without the furnace-thermostat feedback system, there would be only ambient temperature. Without the present me-past me feedback system, there would be only mindful action, without volition.

dust1n

Zindīq
In the same way the mechanistic description of information output and input, in which everything ought to be determined or else there wouldn't be a feedback loop, does.

But it doesn't. If I have a feedback loop set up, and an output does not match the output suggested by the feedback loop, then the feedback loop is an incorrect assessment of the phenomenon. This doesn't mean that the unintended output has defied nature.

Without the furnace-thermostat feedback system, there would be only ambient temperature. Without the present me-past me feedback system, there would be only mindful action, without volition.

First, I wouldn't call the surrounding environment "nature." Nature entails the object and it's environment and all possible objects and environments. This was my confusion about defying nature.

Secondly, there is no argument from me regarding your assessment of the feedback loop, even though such an assessment would require one to actually determine the feedback loop, making it a product of determination. Even if that weren't the case, how is description "free will" as opposed to just "will?"

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But it doesn't. If I have a feedback loop set up, and an output does not match the output suggested by the feedback loop, then the feedback loop is an incorrect assessment of the phenomenon. This doesn't mean that the unintended output has defied nature.
I'm not following. Can you explain? When I referred to an outcome, I referred to that produced by the feedback loop. What is the output that "would not match"? What phenomenon is incorrectly assessed?

Edit: The outcome of the furnace system is a regulated temperature. The outcome of the "me" system is a volitive me impacting the world.

Even if that weren't the case, how is description "free will" as opposed to just "will?"
Will is free will. The issue of "freedom" revolves around predestination, and predestination is only possible with a destiny, and that requires volition.

Last edited: