• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have to disprove other people's belief or non-belief?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Why does it seems like some people must defend their belief no matter what? Are they that unsure about their own belief?
My faith needs defending when it is slandered. From the horses mouth:

WARN, O Salmán, the beloved of the one true God, not to view with too critical an eye the sayings and writings of men. Let them rather approach such sayings and writings in a spirit of open-mindedness and loving sympathy. Those men, however, who, in this Day, have been led to assail, in their inflammatory writings, the tenets of the Cause of God, are to be treated differently. It is incumbent upon all men, each according to his ability, to refute the arguments of those that have attacked the Faith of God. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the All-Powerful, the Almighty.
(Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh)
www.bahai.org/r/900581933

However, this doesn't mean, in my opinion, that this must go on forever, which can happen here. This was revealed in a context where this happened in print, not in a forum. I must be as thoughtful as I can, without taking a long time answering which is not as possible as in a book. Then if clarification is needed I stop. However, a problem I find here is several people attack my answer and they don't look at the answer I gave to other attackers. I don't know how to handle that. Recently this happened and I ended up depressed as I answered person after person, then I had had enough.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I also much prefer discussions to debates but it seems as if not that many people are interested in discussions ..

I used to like to debate but eventually a light went off in my head and I realized that debating to prove I am right is just ego. It was at that juncture when I lost all interest in proving that my religion is true. However, I still like to talk about my religion if people are interested in it because I do believe it is true and people should have the opportunity to know about it.
What can one discuss with you? You speak on the authority of Torah, Bible, Quran Kitab-i-Aqdas and the authority of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohammad.
You do not seem to have lost your interest. Your 29000+ posts in 4 years prove that (it took me fourteen years to garner 27000+ posts). You have done much better than me by quoting your manifestation of Allah and his ilk. You are repeating the same things to nearly the same set of people. They know what you want to say in and out, but you still persist.
The question really is what you gain by your prolific postings? Is it an advertising campaign that Bahais seem to be engaged in? ;)

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Why does it seems like some people must defend their belief no matter what? Are they that unsure about their own belief?

Why does it seems like some people must do everything in their power to discredit or disprove other people's faith or belief? Are they so desperate to prove God can not exist because they themselves does not see any proof of God?

Are both groups wasting their time on proving to others that they are the one who are right?
Even though it may seem so sometimes, I don't debate to win, I debate to gain knowledge. And I assume (at least at first) that my interlocutor does the same. The goal is to answer a question after seriously scrutinising it.
On a religious forum that question is often "is my belief justified?". If you really want to know, you want it critically analysed and I can help with that. From my point of view it isn't an attack, it is helping you to get rid of the unjustified parts and strengthen your certainty in the justified parts.
If you just want confirmation, don't ask me.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My faith needs defending when it is slandered. From the horse's mouth:

However, a problem I find here is several people attack my answer and they don't look at the answer I gave to other attackers. I don't know how to handle that. Recently this happened and I ended up depressed as I answered person after person, then I had had enough.
If person after person attacks your answer, then you must check your answer. It may be false and ridiculous, that is perhaps why people attack your answer. But you believe only what a horse says.
Who decide what is a foolish belief?
IMHO, science.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

I never rode a bike the way you do, I only rode to get to work or for exercise.

I hate competition and I have no need to win a debate.

Very rarely does anyone win a debate anyway, at least not conclusively. What usually happens is that one or both sides claim victory, or rather their ego does. And nothing is resolved.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Reality. The way things actually are in the raw as opposed to one's fantasy or imagination.
Believe in God is a personal belief, disbelief, in the physical world is a personal belief. Disbelief in a God is a personal lack of belief in something"unseen"

They are all valid to the one who believe in them.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What can one discuss with you? You speak on the authority of Torah, Bible, Quran Kitab-i-Aqdas and the authority of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohammad.
You do not seem to have lost your interest. Your 29000+ posts in 4 years prove that (it took me fourteen years to garner 27000+ posts). You have done much better than me by quoting your manifestation of Allah and his ilk. You are repeating the same things to nearly the same set of people. They know what you want to say in and out, but you still persist.
The question really is what you gain by your prolific postings? Is it an advertising campaign that Bahais seem to be engaged in? ;)
I just respond to people who post to me and I rarely have time to respond to any posts that were not posted to me. I think you should be asking the people who are posting to me over and over again why they are posting to me, given they are not even interested in what I believe. They are just going to hear me say the same things over and over again. It is really boring and tedious to have to keep repeating myself over and over again.

As to why I do it, that is a very good question. A part of me wants to be here and another part of me doesn't, but I have been doing forums for nine years now so I don't have any other life anymore, except for my work and the cats. I just started going to a counselor and my forums is now a top agenda item. I have a compulsive personality so that is why I am compelled to answer every post. Most days I just wish people would leave me alone. I dread looking to see how many posts I have in the morning and then they keep coming throughout the day. How does one stop a moving train?

What this has done to my life is irreparable. I don't even like the Baha'i Faith anymore and I never liked God.
I like talking to people but I really don't want to talk about religion, it is others who drag me into the discussion.
Religion is boring to me, I'd much rather talk about something else. I like talking about God but not religion.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Even though it may seems so sometimes, I don't debate to win, I debate to gain knowledge.
You just helped me realize something. I do not like to debate about religion anymore because I am not interested in religion. I used to want to gain knowledge about religions other than my own but I have lost interest over the years. I was never very interested in religion but at least I was interested in my own religion for a while, but I am so sick of talking about it that I have lost interest in it. :( I am almost ready to sign up at the atheist kiosk.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You just helped me realize something. I do not like to debate about religion anymore because I am not interested in religion. I used to want to gain knowledge about religions other than my own but I have lost interest over the years. I was never very interested in religion but at least I was interested in my own religion for a while, but I am so sick of talking about it that I have lost interest in it. :( I am almost ready to sign up at the atheist kiosk.
Maybe you are more spiritual than religious?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Very rarely does anyone win a debate anyway, at least not conclusively. What usually happens is that one or both sides claim victory, or rather their ego does. And nothing is resolved.
Ain't that the truth.:rolleyes:
And sometimes it just keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.....
It doesn't help that I have a compulsive personality.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I just respond to people who post to me and I rarely have time to respond to any posts that were not posted to me. I think you should be asking the people who are posting to me over and over again why they are posting to me, given they are not even interested in what I believe.

I don't have any other life anymore, except for my work and the cats. .. I have a compulsive personality so that is why I am compelled to answer every post. Most days I just wish people would leave me alone. I dread looking to see how many posts I have in the morning and then they keep coming throughout the day. How does one stop a moving train?

What this has done to my life is irreparable. I don't even like the Baha'i Faith anymore and I never liked God. I like talking to people but I really don't want to talk about religion, it is others who drag me into the discussion.
Religion is boring to me, I'd much rather talk about something else. I like talking about God but not religion.
Why? You have responded to most posts that I made in discussions between us. I know, you will reply to this post also. I wish that you continue to post. If anyone does not post, He/she will not get a reply, if anyone is bothered about replies. You see, one cannot clap with one hand.
What kind of work you are engaged in? I find you at the forum during day and night as if on a mission. I do not think that you have time even to feed the cats.
Abandon what you don't like. I also have done so, and I am happy about it. You say religion is boring for you, but you are always posting about it. Religions have God/Gods/Goddesses in them. If you talk about God, you cannot escape religion.
Cool down. Don't get agitated, it is just "Forum Talk".

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why? You have responded to most posts that I made in discussions between us. I know, you will reply to this post also. I wish that you continue to post. If anyone does not post, He/she will not get a reply, if anyone is bothered about replies. You see, one cannot clap with one hand.
What kind of work you are engaged in? I find you at the forum during day and night as if on a mission. I do not think that you have time even to feed the cats.
Abandon what you don't like. I also have done so, and I am happy about it. You say religion is boring for you, but you are always posting about it. Religions have God/Gods/Goddesses in them. If you talk about God, you cannot escape religion.
Cool down. Don't get agitated, it is just "Forum Talk".
A long time ago it was a mission and a duty, now it is more of a compulsion and a habit. I only wish I could abandon everything I don't like, in which case I would abandon all 3 houses and move to a cabin in the woods up in the mountains, but of course there are the cats who I love more than anything in the entire world so I have to be closer to town and have room for the cats.

i would like to travel if I did not have the cats. My husband could take care of them but I would have to travel alone and I would worry about them. I love the cats more than any religion. Looks can be deceiving so just because you see me talking about religion that does not mean I like it. I do a lot of things I don't like out of a sense of duty. I hardly like anything I do except the cats.

That's right, religions have God/Gods/Goddesses in them so if I talk about God, I cannot escape religion. That is the sad fact.