• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Hiya SuperUniverse,

You said:
Now, ya see, that's an interesting claim that quite a few believers attest as a knowable "truth". Of the first part, I would agree that "This universe is a free will place...", but as to divine bestowments of charitable gifts (in this particular case, our species' innate capacities to think and reason)...I do not ask that you provide any "proofs" of this extraordinary claim...I only ask that you reference or source the foundation of that assertive claim. Is there a record of this "transaction" between man and "god"? Is there some sort of written text that attests to (or documents) this foundational truth? I do not ask that you prove your "god" exists, I only ask why you believe that your "god" has "gifted" mankind with free will? What do you cite as validation (or foundation) of that belief? Some accessible text, book, or anecdotal story? From whom, or from what insightful instrument were you instructed/revealed in accepting this "truth" to your subsequently unquestioning understanding? Does it have a title, a Dewey decimal classification, a website, or any named place/archive that skeptics and/or other wayward souls might hope to visit or read from for themselves? Or do you claim some unique and utterly inaccessible and personalized revelation of "god's truth" (like some especially "gifted" and extraordinary enlightenment that is your alone to "know" and fully appreciate)?

So much then for concepts of free will...

I'm reminded by the observation of one Mr. Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), who said:
"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world--and never will."
-- "Consistency" speech, essay

Interesting. I wonder if you might share then your own perceived distinctions between the concepts of "free inquiry", and "free will"? Is reasonable doubt a "choice", in and of itself; or is it an inexact inference that leaves free inquiry added room to explore and pursue avenues of ongoing discovery and "revelation"? What sort of divinely bestowed "free will" can be claimed as "absolute"...if any realization that "god might not exist" is to be deemed as categorically false, and beyond all human capacities of free inquiry or reasoned conclusion?

Oh churlish SuperUniverse...I wish to elevate matters of discourse for the benefit of all...not to the confined and "absolute" perspectives of the few...

You remain unmindful, or purposefully deflecting in even offering such a rhetorical inquiry.
I indulged you with a most considered reply that readily surpassed a simple "yes" or "no" answer waaay back here in post #733, within this thread.

Within that very post, I said then:
"It's reason that allows/permits disbelief of any specified claim. Any/all "gods" exist if there is but one claimant that insists that their alleged god(s) are "real". Do you "believe in" Zeus, Apollo, or Athena? Perhaps you "believe in" the claimed divinity of Demeter,Bhrama, Anuke or Baal? Maybe Enki, Ninhursag, or Ki, instead?

No?

What then is the reason you don't believe in those gods?

What reason do you employ that allows you to conclusively doubt insistent claims of fairies, or flying unicorns (or spaghetti monsters traveling aloft in the sky)?"

...and...

"The "reason" I don't believe in your god is because I doubt the legitimacy (or earnestly-lent "testimony") of the claim of it's/His existence. There is more "evidence" supporting a faith-based assertion/claim of Thor as a "god"...than other contemporary faith-based claims of either singular or multiple existent "gods". I can see lightning; I can hear thunder. Should I doubt the correlations of such cause/effect "explanations", or should I simply proclaim and insist that "Thor LIVES"?"

Ya see?

No evident fear on my part in that specific reply...nor in any that have followed.

If I were fearful of your claimed "truths", I would have retired from this thread long ago.

I remain...of my own free will. ;-)

Uh, under my religion it says Urantian/Wingmaker. Hello...

Every name given to the Prime Creator is correct for that individual or group of people. There have been many names given to God and in the coming millenia there may be many more. This is because God is not simple. I know that angers you, you want to know now, you feel you have a right to know but you can only teach so much to an ant. You have to wait for it to evolve higher sentience before you can introduce more advanced concepts. If you really want to know then stop being an ant.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Not in the least. People believe in the police and still commit crimes. In many myths, the arch anti-god (e.g., Satan) has proof and rebels anyway. Proof does not impact the freedom of will to act.

Police don't always get the bad guy.

As an angel, Lucifer had an advanced understanding of how the universe works but he did not know God. Angels don't come from heaven, they are a tool of highly evolved universal beings, ascended beings.

At the higher levels of universal intelligence God is unanimously accepted as the Prime Creator and source of everything that exists. Still anyone with free will can deny any thing regardless of the supporting evidence especially when you know that God will not interfere. There are other reasons why Lucifer rebelled but they are off topic.

Think of a young child in school, how would they act if their father was the teacher's assistant each day in the classroom?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Think of a young child in school, how would they act if their father was the teacher's assistant each day in the classroom?
It is likely the child would choose to alter behavior. This does not mean the child's freedom of will is restricted. The degree of freedom was not impacted, though the choices may have differed.

The child could just as freely chosen to misbehave - still had the free will to do so, but the child has the benefit of more information to make a better choice with more information about the consequences. Free will is enhanced by more information, never by a lack of information.

Super Universe

Defender of God
It is likely the child would choose to alter behavior. This does not mean the child's freedom of will is restricted. The degree of freedom was not impacted, though the choices may have differed.

The child could just as freely chosen to misbehave - still had the free will to do so, but the child has the benefit of more information to make a better choice with more information about the consequences. Free will is enhanced by more information, never by a lack of information.

The child has more information to make a better choice? To you, perhaps. Think of yourself when you were young. What choices did you make that you learned from? Would you be the person you are today if not for those life lessons? And, regardless of your level of maturity, you still have a long ways to go.

People take all of this much too seriously. No one is harmed, nothing is destroyed, things are only changed. It's like being inside a video game, do real parents care whether their child's video game character dies?

kaat

Storm Animal
Do You Know Why You Don't Believe?

Not really. The idea of being as one is appealing until I realize that everyone else on the planet will be there.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Uh, under my religion it says Urantian/Wingmaker. Hello...

Hi.

Yawn...

Every name given to the Prime Creator is correct for that individual or group of people.

Well...DUH.

There have been many names given to God and in the coming millenia there may be many more. This is because God is not simple.

Well geez...does god have a permanent address (and not just a PO box), or a phone number then? If you god wants everyone to accept his, um..."existence"; then can we at least expect a contact form, mailing address, or website to interact with this "God"?

I know that angers you, you want to know now, you feel you have a right to know but you can only teach so much to an ant.

Angered? Nope.

Not in the least...and I neither claim nor exercise any especial "rights" to which I feel revelations unto HIS WORD are fairly expectant or due to such lowly life forms as humans. The only question I would then forward is...why would such a god/deity/entity inform a species like ours just enough to contemplate and evaluate it's own personalized ends...just to confound us all, and treat with us as if we were ants? If our species is that stupid and insignificant to "god", then why should hat god give a lick about our course or outcomes?

You have to wait for it to evolve higher sentience before you can introduce more advanced concepts. If you really want to know then stop being an ant.

And...ya see...

...what angers people like myself the most...are the heedless and braggart "true believers" and the rest of the "most high" pious claimants of some unique and universally grand insight/wisdom that (self-gratifyingly) exceeds and defies ALL human understanding.

If your "god" exceeds all human understanding or comprehension...then what/whom is left for our species to accept as ANY incontrovertible truth? By your outline, NO ONE can be said to fairly and completely understand/explain "god"...so by fair enough extrapolation...ANYONE who claims to possess such an "insight/understanding" ...is but another "ant" within a widespread colony of sentient (albeit confused) ants.

Which is it then?

Is your "god" comprehensible by our species in any sustaining and/or meaningful way, or not?

If not, then what should we conclude regarding those that claim to (yet) fairly understand and accurately "interpret" whatever their "god" says....

If "god" is comprehensible...then why would any such "god" rely upon human frailties and doubts as a pathway to enlightenment and informed comprehension (in deliverance unto truth) as to the 'true" nature of "god"?

If I was seeking to dominate a colony of ants (or the occasionally singular upstart ant), I'd at least show my humongus magnifying glass as some "God inspired" rationale.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Hi.

Yawn...

Well...DUH.

There have been many names given to God and in the coming millenia there may be many more. This is because God is not simple.

Well geez...does god have a permanent address (and not just a PO box), or a phone number then? If you god wants everyone to accept his, um..."existence"; then can we at least expect a contact form, mailing address, or website to interact with this "God"?

I know that angers you, you want to know now, you feel you have a right to know but you can only teach so much to an ant.

Angered? Nope.

Not in the least...and I neither claim nor exercise any especial "rights" to which I feel revelations unto HIS WORD are fairly expectant or due to such lowly life forms as humans. The only question I would then forward is...why would such a god/deity/entity inform a species like ours just enough to contemplate and evaluate it's own personalized ends...just to confound us all, and treat with us as if we were ants? If our species is that stupid and insignificant to "god", then why should hat god give a lick about our course or outcomes?

You have to wait for it to evolve higher sentience before you can introduce more advanced concepts. If you really want to know then stop being an ant.

And...ya see...

...what angers people like myself the most...are the heedless and braggart "true believers" and the rest of the "most high" pious claimants of some unique and universally grand insight/wisdom that (self-gratifyingly) exceeds and defies ALL human understanding.

If your "god" exceeds all human understanding or comprehension...then what/whom is left for our species to accept as ANY incontrovertible truth? By your outline, NO ONE can be said to fairly and completely understand/explain "god"...so by fair enough extrapolation...ANYONE who claims to possess such an "insight/understanding" ...is but another "ant" within a widespread colony of sentient (albeit confused) ants.

Which is it then?

Is your "god" comprehensible by our species in any sustaining and/or meaningful way, or not?

If not, then what should we conclude regarding those that claim to (yet) fairly understand and accurately "interpret" whatever their "god" says....

If "god" is comprehensible...then why would any such "god" rely upon human frailties and doubts as a pathway to enlightenment and informed comprehension (in deliverance unto truth) as to the 'true" nature of "god"?

If I was seeking to dominate a colony of ants (or the occasionally singular upstart ant), I'd at least show my humongus magnifying glass as some "God inspired" rationale.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

:clap Well put....

Super Universe

Defender of God
Hi.

Yawn...

Well...DUH.

Angered? Nope.

And...ya see...

Which is it then?

Does God have a permanent address? Yes, everywhere.

If God wants everyone to accept this... Uh, you don't have a choice. The universe is His way, not yours. If you don't like it, well, that's just too damn bad, there isn't anything you can do about it.

God has never revealed or informed any human. That would violate the purpose of the earth to exist. People do have revelations but they come from their soul, a fragment of God that separated from Him. You do not have to be confounded, you simply choose to be because it gives you an excuse to be angry for the person you are. You could figure it all out if you truly wanted to.

Humanity is not stupid and insignificant but some people are. Wisdom doesn't defy all human understanding. Sigh... Like a prodigy child who quits when things get a little bit tougher.

At this point the totality of God exceeds human comprehension but there is enough that you can understand to keep you busy. What do you know of the atom? 10% maybe, still that 10% is enough for you to create the atom bomb and nuclear energy.

God does not rely upon human frailties as a pathway to enlightenment. We'll get a great deal of help, a universe full of help, just not yet, not here, and not now. You have to finish kindergarden before you can learn about physics.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hello SuperUniverse,

You offered:
Cool.

Tell me then what to write in the address box when I wish to FedEx Him a clock/radio?

If God wants everyone to accept this... Uh, you don't have a choice.
Ummm...yes...I do. I am a skeptic...ya know...;-)

The universe is His way, not yours. If you don't like it, well, that's just too damn bad, there isn't anything you can do about it.
If your imagined god was real and existent...perhaps that claim would be merited. Since HE chooses to remain invisible and inaccessible by any/all physical means...I'll just have to fairly conclude that your claim of an existent "god" is bunk...and that's just too damn bad....

God has never revealed or informed any human.
Evidently enough.

That would violate the purpose of the earth to exist.
It would?

What then is that "purpose" that He has since refused to reveal or inform any human of any such a "purpose"? How do YOU know what that "purpose" may be, if "god" didn't (couldn't/wouldn't) tell you?

People do have revelations but they come from their soul, a fragment of God that separated from Him. You do not have to be confounded, you simply choose to be because it gives you an excuse to be angry for the person you are. You could figure it all out if you truly wanted to.
I can.
I have.
What you suggest is certainly not beyond any human capacities of intellect or personal conscience. Both qualities may exist in the utter and complete absence of any attributed deity or claimed supernatural entity. What need or explanation does then your "god" fulfill?

Humanity is not stupid and insignificant but some people are. Wisdom doesn't defy all human understanding. Sigh... Like a prodigy child who quits when things get a little bit tougher.
Yawn. Waiting for some clarifying profundity on your part...

At this point the totality of God exceeds human comprehension but there is enough that you can understand to keep you busy. What do you know of the atom? 10% maybe, still that 10% is enough for you to create the atom bomb and nuclear energy.
What?

What?

(Human) Ignorance is real...but both the search for understanding, and any human relevance to discoverable facts...is but our species effort to overcome that (both implied and intangible) ignorance and lacking comprehension of relevant realities.

To indulge your inanities (for but a moment)...what did anyone "know" of nuclear energy, particle physics, or even the planet Neptune 500 years ago?

All your argument forwards is some static and unalterable dynamic of human existence and any of it's prospective revelations. Our species continues to unveil the wonders of the cosmos and our own personal existence within the relevant and insightful discoveries and explanations of the world in which we reside. Does your "god" seek to limit or inhibit those revelations, or not? If not...then one day humans may come to understand 99.9999% of the fundamental aspects of nuclear energy and physics. Then what? On to something else...

God does not rely upon human frailties as a pathway to enlightenment.
Sez you...but as your argument suggests...you can offer no informed certainty of any kind as to the mind or motives of your claimed "god".

We'll get a great deal of help, a universe full of help, just not yet, not here, and not now. You have to finish kindergarden before you can learn about physics.
I'll feel confident enough in not looking to you to inform me as to the intricacies or abstract concepts that "physics" presents us with today.

I don't believe in insoluble "mysteries". I accept that any discovery leads to further inquiry in any search of greater understanding and comprehensive appreciation of the cosmos as it is, or seems to be. Either your "god" is a willing aide, or a conspiring and self-serving hindrance to such discoveries. It would seem that "He" just doesn't matter one way or the other.

JerryG

That is a true answer. We live within the mind and body of God. The universe is composed of a large series of light speed energies. We are light speed 1 enerrgy. (186,000 miles per second) God goes up toward light speed infinity. Thus our entire universe is no larger than a single human mind time wise. The mind of God is a multi-light speed entity.
Our souls are composed of energy thousands of our light speed. Yet we do not own our souls. They are part of God.
We are defined as our body (DNA code number plus our soul)