• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you love others?

Ozzie

Do you love "others"?

Do you have the capacity to do so?

Do your religious convictions inspire or prescribe that you love others?

Is loving others areligious? Is it a biological imperative?

One cannot love the whole world. How or where do you to draw the line in your capacity to "love others" and who do you love?

Fluffy

A fool
I think one can love the whole world and that one should strive for this goal.

Love in this sense is the belief that any person can overcome their failings and attain salvation through their own effort. I don't know if this belief is true but the alternative is horrifying to me.

Ozzie

I think one can love the whole world and that one should strive for this goal.

Love in this sense is the belief that any person can overcome their failings and attain salvation through their own effort. I don't know if this belief is true but the alternative is horrifying to me.
If you think you can love the whole world I am afraid I have to ask you to prove it.

Fluffy

A fool
Ozzie said:
If you think you can love the whole world I am afraid I have to ask you to prove it.
If I go to the doctor and tell him I think I have a migraine, he can turn around and tell me that I don't have a migraine then I accept his diagnosis. If I go to the doctor and tell him I think I have a pain in my head and he tells me I have no pain in my head then I get a new doctor.

How do I go about demonstrating that I genuinely believe something?

Ozzie

If I go to the doctor and tell him I think I have a migraine, he can turn around and tell me that I don't have a migraine then I accept his diagnosis. If I go to the doctor and tell him I think I have a pain in my head and he tells me I have no pain in my head then I get a new doctor.

How do I go about demonstrating that I genuinely believe something?
By giving examples of real not hypothetical visits to the love *sic* doctor.

Fluffy

A fool
Ozzie said:
By giving examples of real not hypothetical visits to the love *sic* doctor.
It is a constant state. I believe that all people are either good people or can be good people. I believe that love will be the motivater that can transform a bad person into a good person and so I love them out of practicality if nothing else. It is my hope and wish that all people will display their inherent worth.

Ozzie

It is a constant state. I believe that all people are either good people or can be good people. I believe that love will be the motivater that can transform a bad person into a good person and so I love them out of practicality if nothing else. It is my hope and wish that all people will display their inherent worth.
How do you evaluate "inherent worth"?

Fluffy

A fool
Ozzie said:
How do you evaluate "inherent worth"?
The inherent worth of a human is both the intrinsic value of human sapience and the instrumental value of human potential to bring about good.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Do you love "others"?
Yes, of course.

Seems as though I do.

My previous religious convictions encouraged the practice. Now, I simply love people because I want to.

I think so. It's part of survival of the fittest. We give love, and gain protection. At least that's how it worked way back in the beginning.

One cannot love the whole world. How or where do you to draw the line in your capacity to "love others" and who do you love?
The only line I draw is one between my husband and I....to protect what we have together. Other than that....it's free love, come and get it! :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you love "others"?

I'm seriously considerring giving it a shot. I've tried everything else I could think of--anger, hatred, sanctomony, manipulation, passive aggression--and nothing seems to work very well for very long (and people, ungrateful creatures that they are, never seem to appreciate all the time and effort you have to put into these things).

There've been conflicting reports, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

I'm trying to stear clear of ideologies that demand or prescribe convictions. Any God who convicts is going to make me nervous even on days when I feel like I'm on his good side (not to mention the other people you have to deal with).

Is loving others areligious?

It's easy to understand why one might wonder.

Is it a biological imperative?

Considerring our present place in history and what our other options are, I'm leaning toards "probably".

One cannot love the whole world.

I disagree. I like the theory that, deep down, we all naturally love each other. It's just that, like I say, it's deep down, and most likely buried under all sorts of garbage.

I have, in fact, conducted several experiments to help verify these claims for myself--most are easily reproducable if you have access to beer and any large gatherring of sweaty people listening to Raggae music.

I wouldn't exactly call the evidence empirical but I can gauruntee that somewhere over the course of conducting the experiment, you'll stop worrying about things like that.

How or where do you to draw the line in your capacity to "love others" and who do you love?

Like so many people I have so many walls and boundaries that drawing a line would be a moot point.

I find it in my own best interests to go under the assumption that I do indeed love everyone, as much as that goes against my disposition sometimes, just seems to make things easier all the way around (still, I tend to only hang out with the people I like).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I do my best to see the best in each person, which is love. It is a bit harder in some people than others. It is hardest to love those who hate you. It is something that Christians are supposed to strive for, if you follow Jesus' teachings. If you follow His teachings, then you have to learn to love everyone. It really isn't as hard as it seems. Once you start to love, it is hard to stop.
Thich Naht Hanh (I think that is how you spell his name)said that if you love and pray for your enemies, they cease to be your enemies. I like that idea. He also said that if you understand why a person acts they way he or she does, you also can also cease to hate him or her.

Ozzie

Yes, of course.

Seems as though I do.

My previous religious convictions encouraged the practice. Now, I simply love people because I want to.

I think so. It's part of survival of the fittest. We give love, and gain protection. At least that's how it worked way back in the beginning.

The only line I draw is one between my husband and I....to protect what we have together. Other than that....it's free love, come and get it! :D
All of this is nature.

Why is instinct so easily overidden in love?

Ozzie

The inherent worth of a human is both the intrinsic value of human sapience and the instrumental value of human potential to bring about good.
I don't think you can logically juxtapose intrinsic and inherent without distinguishing them. Instrumental value invokes blindness either to oneself or others.

Smoke

Done here.
Do you love "others"?
Some of them.

An interesting article that relates to this subject is "Inside the Monkeysphere," by David Wong. David says:
Let's try an example. Famous news talking guy Tim Russert tells a charming story in his book Big Russ and Me (the title referring to his on-and-off romance with actor Russell Crowe) about his father, who used to take half an hour to carefully box up any broken glass before taking it to the trash. Why? Because "the trash guy might cut his hands."

That this was such an odd thing to do illustrates my monkey point.

Yes, the Monkeysphere. That's the group of people who each of us, using our monkeyish brains, are able to conceptualize as people. If the monkey scientists are monkey right, it's physically impossible for this to be a number larger than 150. Most of us do not have room in our Monkeysphere for our friendly neighborhood Sanitation Worker. So, we don't think of him as a person. We think of him The Thing That Makes The Trash Go Away.
Although this is obviously a humorous article, it makes a valid point. See also Wikipedia: Dunbar's number.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do you love "others"?
Of course, but I wouldn't be so foolish to say that I love everyone equally. I do not, nor will I, ever.

I am a pretty secure person Ozzie and so I would say, "Yes, I do have the capacity to love whom I will." More importantly, my love belongs to those who can see it.

Nopers. I think it is unreasonable to force things. I much prefer to let nature take its course. Those who are worthy of my love make themselves known to me; if I am worthy they just might love me back. I don't have silly expectations of love, peace and beads.

Religion has squat to do with love Ozzie. Zippo. I would lean towards saying it is a a psychological/emotional imperative rather than a biological one although that too plays into it.

I'm no saint, but I am a mystic. In many ways, with each day that passes I outgrow this world and its sorrows and pleasures. I am already unattached, although many may view that as being a very cold thing to say. Suffice to say that I will unabashedly show my love to those who know me. I am concerned about those who remain in the dark, as it were, and that is part of the reason I came out of my self-imposed isolation over two years ago now. I don't expect people to love me, but I settle for getting a smile on their faces or hear them chuckle, so I figure, I'm getting somewhere.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you love "others"?
As I get older I find that I do love other people more than I once did. I see us all as reflections of each other, and as I learn to forgive myself and others for our foibles, I have come to love and appreciate myself and others even in some ways because of our foibles.
Sure, but I'm not always conscious of it.
I believe that love heals us.
No. I think it's a self-evident value.
I just try to take people as they are and as I find them. I don't need to love the whole world, just those few folks that I am encountering at this moment.

blackout

Violet.
Do you love "others"?

Yes. I love deep & wide & real.:hearts:
Sometimes too much for my own good.
But every kind of love is good!
:group::hug::foryou::hugkiss:

This is usually how it makes me feel!
:flower2::cloud9:

Maybe you need some today?
:hugehug:

w00t

I like other people and I am quite fond of some of my closer relatives and friends, but I certainly don't love them like I love my husband, children and grandchildren.