• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you not ask yourself "what if I am wrong?"

Lady B

noob
I have been bouncing around the different threads and I see so much false assurance,but what if your wrong?
In all due respect can an atheist have peace? Is there no higher power then science? Do you really sleep well at night content with no God? What happens after death? Where are your loved ones? Is earthly life all you strive for and death is the end of you? Are you so sure, really?
What if...just What if your wrong? What are the consequences of your denial?
:thud:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been bouncing around the different threads and I see so much false assurance,but what if your wrong?

We're all wrong until we look at things without adjectives, without subjectivity, and without perspective.

In all due respect can an atheist have peace?

Peace is subjective

Is there no higher power then science?

Science isn't a higher power, it's just looking at reality as reality.

Do you really sleep well at night content with no God?

Yep, gods don't care if we exist, why should we care if they exist?

What happens after death?

Life goes on. Many have died, and we're still here.

Where are your loved ones?

Some are at their homes, some are in graves, others are out partying or working.

Is earthly life all you strive for and death is the end of you? Are you so sure, really?

Unless there is something else to regenerate our consciousness without our brain, which technically wouldn't even be us.

No consequences, just fate. Fate is destined, so live with it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In all due respect can an atheist have peace? Is there no higher power then science? Do you really sleep well at night content with no God? What happens after death? Where are your loved ones? Is earthly life all you strive for and death is the end of you? Are you so sure, really?

If there is a god, he would be infinitely understanding and forgiving, and would be above petty vengeance. A real god wouldn't have such a fragile ego that required constant reassurance through worship. A real god wouldn't gift us the ability ability to reason, only to have us to forgo its use by expecting us to blindly adhere to irrational and arbitrary commands.

What about you and your false assurance? What logic and evidence do you stand upon? What if you're wrong? What if some religion other christianity, such as Islam or Hinduism, turned out to be true? Does that keep you up at night? Do you try to follow every religion ever, no matter how absurd and unsubstantiated, just to be on the safe side?

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you suggesting people should believe something just because it might be true?

I mean, if someone told you that you would spend eternity in a fiery hell if you didn't wear red suspenders, would you run out and buy red suspenders just in case?

kylixguru

My experience suggests that if a person doesn't honestly and sincerely invite and encourage constructive criticism to their ideas that they are very likely an unreliable source.
I also determine the credibility of an individual based upon how generally interested they are in exploring new ideas. If they aren't willing to patiently explore something I would be willing to work with them on until the could see the view from my vantage point I consider that they are a person more or less incapable of seeing any other point of view than their own. Therefore, again, for that reason, they are an unreliable source of information.

Unfortunately, these two characteristics seem to apply to the vast majority of people.

Skwim

Veteran Member
And, what if...just What if your wrong? What are the consequences of your denial?

Yeah, I know, it's impossible that you could be wrong because . . . . well . . . . well, you just couldn't be wrong, could you. ;) It's the conceit of the fear-driven believer.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I mean, if someone told you that you would spend eternity in a fiery hell if you didn't wear red suspenders, would you run out and buy red suspenders just in case?

Steve Urkel is prepared!
5-steve-urkel.jpg

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What if you're right?

In all due respect can an atheist have peace? Is there no higher power then science? Do you really sleep well at night content with no God?
If you've got no God, there's nothing to disturb your sleep (or your peace).

What happens after death? Where are your loved ones?
Does it matter?

Is earthly life all you strive for and death is the end of you?
No. Death is the end of illusion.

Are you so sure, really? What if...just What if your wrong? What are the consequences of your denial?
What if you are?

There are no consequences to denial of something that can't be known to exist.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Are you suggesting people should believe something just because it might be true?

I dunno... Objective reality might be true.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
A real god wouldn't have such a fragile ego that required constant reassurance through worship. A real god wouldn't gift us the ability ability to reason, only to have us to forgo its use by expecting us to blindly adhere to irrational and arbitrary commands.
*giggles at the liberal Scotsman fallacy*

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
this is silly
i find science and atheism liberating. i have no desire for an after life my loved ones are in my heart and memories life is life this world is beautifull. and what if you wrong maybe baal is god maybe he will be made i didnt worship him but at least i did not worship a false god.

also if i go to hell then god is evil pure evil

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
In all due respect can an atheist have peace?

Um, how can an atheist not have peace? Maybe I am not understanding the question, but what makes peace and atheism incompatible?

Is there no higher power then science?

Of course there are! There are the laws of physics that apply to our universe, the laws of the quantum world, of string theory, etc that we have not even touched on yet, not to mention the laws of thought which are inescapable.

Do you really sleep well at night content with no God?

Hmmm, I don't sleep well at night due to chronic pain, a terrible mattress, stress, video games, movies, and intense work for class before bed, depression issues... Nothing related to God though. Again, I am not sure I understand the question. How does a good night's rest relate to God? If anything, I sleep poorly because of the way God made my brain work.

What happens after death?

Well you are either cremated or buried, though there are many ways to mix it up. Your body rots in the ground, feeds worms and such, returns to the soil and to the life cycle as a whole. It is actually quite poetic. We return to where we came from.

Where are your loved ones?

Uh, well I think my grandparents are at home. Same with my mother and aunt. Friends too probably considering all of us have classes in the morning. As for dead loved ones, my dad's corpse (or what is left of it) is about two miles away plus 12 feet under ground. It would be safer to say he exists in pictures, memories, stories, and the blood of his relatives. Again, also relatively poetic.

Is earthly life all you strive for and death is the end of you?

What do you mean by "earthly life"? Right now I am striving for a Bachelors in biological anthropology, as well as completing a more successful play through of Mass Effect 3 on Xbox 360, trying to write a novel, looking for a damn job... Again, not sure how it relates to God. Of course death is the end of "me", how could "I" exist without awareness and my mental processes? "I" am the miraculous result of trillions of cells and millions of years of evolution working together against unfathomable odds to create the exact person I am today. Much more beautiful than walking on water and turning water to wine. And when I die I will "live on" in memories, pictures, stories, and blood.

Are you so sure, really?

Actually yes, I am quite sure. I do believe there is something fundamental beyond our full understanding, but nothing supports the existence of anything I would call God. There is no reason to believe that not everything has a natural cause, that whatever is fundamental is not just as mechanical and deterministic as the aspects of reality we are familiar with. There is no need for a conscious creator and nothing supporting that one exists. There is not one single case that suggests interaction from a divine being, nothing that needs to be explained by the supernatural, and even if there is something we do not fully understand, it is only logical to believe that there is an explanation besides God, we just do not know it. There is absolutely nothing suggesting a deity exists.

Logically nothing. There is no evidence that any deity exists, and apparently God is beyond logic and understanding. So, there is no responsibility on me to accept God's existence. If God held it against me that it created me in a way that I could not logically believe in it or understand it, as well as creating me in such a way that is bound to fact, evidence, and logic, then screw it, I wouldn't want anything to do with such a God. If God exists, the ability to reason (which sets humans apart from other animals) is God's greatest gift. Since I see no logical reason to believe in God, I think if one exists it would respect my logical atheism more than a believers blind, fideistic faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

averageJOE

zombie

If your god is truly omniscient then he would surly be able to determine if one is a "believer" for mere insurance reasons. Is this why you believe? "Just in case"?

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be just the opposite.

Secret Chief

Degrow!

Are you addressing only atheists?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Kalama Sutta

"Now, Kalamas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure — acquires four assurances in the here-&-now:
"'If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world.' This is the first assurance he acquires.
"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.
"'If evil is done through acting, still I have willed no evil for anyone. Having done no evil action, from where will suffering touch me?' This is the third assurance he acquires.
"'But if no evil is done through acting, then I can assume myself pure in both respects.' This is the fourth assurance he acquires.