• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you notice...

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
that people wear crosses on thire neck.Even when they are not Jesus followers?:)
I've met some people who consider themselves cultural Christians that do it, though they may not believe in the Biblical Christ as having been an actual person(or, at least not the mystical/mythological aspects of the religion).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No. In fact I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing one at all. I guess this just isn't that kind of town.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I wear a cross always and do not believe in the biblical narrative, but I do believe in Christ and his teachings, although quite a different way to Christians

I also wear an archangel Michael ring always, as I’ve met them in person and so the ring is a particularly important reminder to myself

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And this isn't thst kind of country.

Here it's illegal to display overt signs of religion in a public place.
Wow, that sounds awful. I bet a lot of religions get a free pass though, because all this sort of religious oppression does in practice is serve to persecute certain displays of religion while ignoring others. Wearing a cross would be persecuted but wearing a sun pendant wouldn't, I can almost guarantee.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I wear a cross always and do not believe in the biblical narrative, but I do believe in Christ and his teachings, although quite a different way to Christians

I also wear an archangel Michael ring always, as I’ve met them in person and so the ring is a particularly important reminder to myself
You've met the archangel Michael?

What happened?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Wow, that sounds awful. I bet a lot of religions get a free pass though, because all this sort of religious oppression does in practice is serve to persecute certain displays of religion while ignoring others. Wearing a cross would be persecuted but wearing a sun pendant wouldn't, I can almost guarantee.

Nope, it's across the board and most people in france >80% approve.

However a sun will be ok, it's representative if the sun king, Louis XIV, it's pretty hot on history here.

symbol_of_louis_xiv_the_sun_king_gold_plated_necklace-r8ae3caacea1a4d798ab2d4e8b8bc6361_fkoea_...jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
So if I wore my crucifix whilst doing some shopping at the marché I could be arrested and possibly even guilotined?

If you wore inside your shirt, no problem, if you wore it on display you would probably be asked to hide it.

No guillotine now, there is no death penalty

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'm all for seculism but I think that's taking it a bit far

There must be one in a museum though!

It's a popular law, France has had more thsn its fair share of religious strife, laïcité (secularism) is a big thing. So big there was a move to get it into the national motto. Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, Laïcité

Yup there are some in museums, but i reckon they need a good greasing and testing on water melons before an execution.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a popular law, France has had more thsn its fair share of religious strife, laïcité (secularism) is a big thing. So big there was a move to get it into the national motto. Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, Laïcité
What's the last word of the motto mean?
I don't wear one and I am a Christian!

I value it because my paternal grandmother gave it me but don't particularly want to advertise what my religion is
I have a bunch of religious pendants; pictures or symbols of various deities. Most people don't know what they are, and don't ask.