• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you pray?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i don't pray as often as i should....

I remember watching a program years ago that showed Hassidic Jews praying at the Wall and they were rocking back and forth. I thought...weird, but whatever.
hey i do that:p it's like head banging for G-d:jam:

atofel said:
Chaos is a discription of great complexity. It means something is so complex, we can't effectively untangle it. However, at the granular-level, it does not suggest things do not operate according to some absolute mechanism.

Particularity is something different. It means it is one way instead of another.
I don't understand. Are you saying that something that is "chaotic" can't be "particular"--or, using your definitions, something that has "great complexity" cannot be "one way instead of another"?

atofel said:
So how did particularity originate without a selective force?
Okay, I think I see what you're saying. I agree, things are the way they are because certain forces/relationships/laws in the universe selected for the present conditions. Then of course you're going to say "what selected for those laws?" Then of course I'm going to say "what selected for the gods?" And around and around we go.... :woohoo:

atofel said:
I do not think God is a particularity, but rather an absolute. He is an infinite being that is opposite to nothingness. He is the origin and author of all particulars.
Or, maybe there are no gods, but rather laws and proportionalities in the universe which are absolute, and which give rise to all "particulars". Both explanations account for the existence of "particulars", though the latter doesn't appeal to unevidenced and unknowable entities.

robtex

Veteran Member
jewscout said:
i don't pray as often as i should....
How do you know how often you should or when you should? What happens if you don't . I am thinking if G-d is all knowing he got the 411 before you did. Unless you are just reminding him :p of xyz event what are the consquences of not partaking in prayer?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
robtex said:
How do you know how often you should or when you should? What happens if you don't . I am thinking if G-d is all knowing he got the 411 before you did. Unless you are just reminding him :p of xyz event what are the consquences of not partaking in prayer?
men are bound by the time required prayers...but really it's about my connecting w/ G-d not anything He needs per se. the purpose of prayer is to elevate my own spirit.

Melody said:
JS,
What is the purpose of the rocking?
Traditional Jews routinely sway back and forth during prayer, apparently a reference to Psalm 35, which says "All my limbs shall declare, 'O L-rd, who is like You?'"
http://www.jewfaq.org/prayer.htm
for me it just gets me in the grove. growing up i was (and still am) a huge metalhead, and when i would go see shows if i saw a band i loved or heard my favorite song i would bang my head so hard and fast that my neck hurt for like 3 days afterward. So in my own odd little way i show my faith, devotion, and enthusiasm for HaShem by "banging my head" to Him and all of His awesomeness:jam: