• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really believe God?

Heneni

Miss Independent
HENENI ~ You are not answering my question about these two statements from God. DO they not contridict each other? It is a simple question. Why are you doing everything you can to avoid answer it? You open up this line of question of producing scripture about God now lets see you stand by your statements. arlan

Arlan, im sorry to inform you that you are not going to get any joy out of me. You are not understanding the thrust of this thread, and for the simple reason that you are not a christian, having a biblical debate is rather superflous. The fact that you can slap a few scriptures on the screen does not make it a biblical debate either. You are not a christian, and you do not believe god, you dont even think you believe god, and this thread is about people who say they believe, but need to investigate whether they, and I are really believing what we say we believe.

Does that clear things up for you.? If it doesnt let me say it some other way...i am sorry i ever made you think you are clever enough to make a fool of yourself in the christian debate (BIBLICAL DEBATE) section.

And once again, it tires me that people dont hold to forum rules and poke their noses into stuff they have absolutly no clue about. If i wanted to debate this issue with a non-christian , i wouldnt have put it here. Does that make sense to you?

heneni

Heneni

Miss Independent
If it is, i posted it in the wrong place. So if people will humour me...if your not a christian please dont respond. However, i have lost my appetite for this thread already, so i guess ill be moving along instead.

Heneni

UnityNow101

If it is, i posted it in the wrong place. So if people will humour me...if your not a christian please dont respond. However, i have lost my appetite for this thread already, so i guess ill be moving along instead.

Heneni

Yeah, it is probably just posted in the wrong place. This is the biblical debates forum, and Arlanbb was using biblical passages to make an argument. It is quite alright, Heneni.

Arlanbb

HENENI ~ FYI I do believe in God and that he made this world. I do believe that the Hebrew bible is a history of the Israel. I have read the bible many times and have 4 or 5 different versions here in my house. You asked for scriptures and I gave them to you, now you want to bug out because you do not want to answer my question. That is not showing Christian honesty. arlan

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
That is terribly astute of you to recongise that it is silly. In the same way it is silly for an atheist to debate in a biblical forum. However, if they would like to give the bible a run for its money and post scripture here to indicate that belief in god is not necessary or to believe god is not necessary then please do get involved.

Heneni

We cant have you people thinking your book is the be all and end all now can we. If we drop our guard the bible will become a science text book.

There is no scripture, but is there anything against debating scripture without having to post some more garbage?

Heneni

Miss Independent
I can tell that it must be hard for some people to understand others. It is really pretty simple. I posted this thread to discuss whether christians really believe what they say they believe. Then arlanb, the smart man that he is, starts to debate whether the bible is acurrate or not. And then there is the dispute whether i put this in the right forum.

Oh my boots! What a joke!

Heneni

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I can tell that it must be hard for some people to understand others. It is really pretty simple. I posted this thread to discuss whether christians really believe what they say they believe. Then arlanb, the smart man that he is, starts to debate whether the bible is acurrate or not. And then there is the dispute whether i put this in the right forum.

Heneni
Heneni I can see why you would be frustrated, when you try a thread like this it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Charge! full speed ahead.....It's like a gang bang against any sensible discussion between believers.
Arlan please stuff a sock in your mouth for once and chill out. I thought you and I could declare a truce but you are beginning to pluck my last nerve.
Heneni I do really believe in God, He has never let me down and has given me blessings that I know I do not deserve. I'm only human with human failures and short comings but I know from where my strength comes. Thank you for a thread where I can express those feelings. ;)

UnityNow101

Heneni

All Christians believe in God. The question should be whether or not they are practicing the teachings of Jesus Christ? If they are not, then what is the use? The security of "knowing" that because you believe that you are going to be saved? The moral teachings of Jesus Christ are of great value, but they go largely unheeded because of all of the dogmatic and theological chains that have been placed upon the story of Jesus.

"The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ."{Thomas Jefferson}

Arlanbb

If any of you atheists...my dear friends among whom i labour, have any biblical proof that the bible is a myth and that you really dont believe and can quote scripture to prove it, please do post it in this biblical debate section. I guess we are assuming that you all have gone to bible study ya?

Love you lots, but hey...give the bible readers a chance will you?

heneni
HENENI ~ this is what you said in your #8 post. You asked for biblical proof, I gave you biblical proof, I am not a atheists and then you refuse to answer my question about the scriptures I gave you. You didn't ask for christians ONLY you asked "My dear friends amoung whom I labour". I still would like for you to answer my question. Doesn't the good book say that you as a christian are to give an answer? arlan

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Heneni

Why post in the biblical debates and not expect a challenge to your biblical heresey? honestly

pallanfred

Heneni…

I am a bible thumping, gospel believing, Christ centered Biblican&#8230;and I think that you need to answer the question about what that other dude asked about. He brings up a good point. There are many areas in scripture that seem, at first appearance, to contradict themselves. This is one that I personally can answer; but, before I do answer, I want to address the need for each believer to express love, kindness, gentleness, and humility towards all people. Sarcasm and Pride only smear the Great, Great name of Christ. If you don&#8217;t know how to deal with it, then be honest and humble and admit it. It&#8217;s not the end of the world. We&#8217;re Christians, not perfect&#8230;Christians aren&#8217;t perfect people, nor should they try to be such. In fact, we should wear our faults on our sleeves, and show the world that we can respond to Christ in our lives through blatant and ardent repentance. The only person, who is in more denial than a hard hearted atheist, is a hypocritical religious member of modern Christiandom. An atheist will deny that God exist, which is a denial of their own existence&#8230;while somebody who is religious and strives to appear perfect is in fact denying the need for Christ. Our perfection is Christ and Christ alone. Although Isaiah talks of dirty rags, Christ talks of righteousness. In Christ we are a Royal Priesthood, not filthy rags. I understand that there needs to be a certain self placated understanding of who we are before Yahweh, we also need to know that it is only through Christ that we can even know that God exist at all: meaning this, if you claim to be Christian in any form, thus, acknowledging that you abide, to one degree or another, to the teachings of the apostles and their testimony of Christ, then act like it. That is what believing is all about. What you are talking about in your question is the matter of faith. IF we truly believe something, then our actions will reflect it. We believe that there will be a new day tomorrow. We believe this by our actions&#8230;same applies to Christ. If we believe in Christ, then we know that we are sinners and imperfect, and if we are sinners and imperfect, unless we are deceitful to others or ourselves, we will admit that we don&#8217;t know something about the scripture. Of course, to deny the existence of scripture is total foolishness. There is scripture in many forms. There is the Tibetan book of the dead, there is the Koran, there is the Tanahk, there is the Septuagint, there is the Christian Canon, there is the book of Mormon, and there is the sermon of Buddha with the seven levels of existence. Mankind has been adhering to scripture for thousands of years, and to say that there is no such thing is a sure sign of ignorance, or stupidity. I digress; believing is doing. Like the example of Abraham, who in essence believed in the resurrection of the dead, knowing that it was through Isaac that the promise would be kept, and in faith obeying God in sacrificing Isaac anyway, only to be stopped by an Angel at the last minute. Belief can also be expressed by us Gentile believers by our lives lived as holy sacrifices according to the Holy Spirit as He worked through Paul. Upon further study, you will see that all of Paul&#8217;s letters are simply an expansion of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). So we read that Sermon, and do as it says. Part of this is to love and bless our enemies. We know that self proclaiming atheists are enemies of Christ, so we bless them and indulge them in these type of post, so as to not shame Christ. Perhaps by your example of love, this or that atheist will reconsider their position. It is not for us to say how we are going to positively affect someone as to coming to a full affect in their thinking. My previous life, I was a wretch (not said lightly) and hard hearted. I dated a tiny faithful women who opened my doors of faith in my heart one summer, and the seeds she planted led to my conversion some months later. All she did was use her life, and an unwillingness to indulge in sinful behavior for Christ sake, to plant those seeds that God grew. That&#8217;s what I like about these forums. Granted, some of the people on this form of scripture debate seem to be just picking for a fight; but, what I think you will find in the end, is that these &#8220;atheist&#8221; are really just looking for a way to believe in God past their frustration of all the garbage that modern Christiandom is. There is rampant hypocrisy, spiritual foolishness and duplicity, selfish ambition, personal agendas, ignorance in the scripture leading to false walls of constriction that mislead the willing down a path of religiosity that is truly demonic in nature&#8230;and what more? It is no wonder that people, who have good hearts and want to believe, so they go on these bible forums in hope that someone will not let them down &#8220;this time&#8221;, but in the end become frustrated and disgusted by so called Christians and their ignorance. For example, this chap that is looking at these two different scriptures with seeming contradictions, let&#8217;s look at them&#8230;4</SPAN> &#8220;You shall not make for yourself a carved image&#8212;any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.&#8221; Exodus 20:4-6. Okay, we see here that basically, this command, of the ten, is a &#8216;relationship with God&#8217; command. Each command has to do with either the relationship with God, or man&#8217;s relationship with other men. Thus the meaning that the sum of the law is to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind, and like it, love your neighbor as yourself; meaning, back to the basic golden rule. This particular command comes with a prophetic promise on it. It is a gracious Creator trying to impart some wisdom on our hard hearts. Don&#8217;t make assumptions in what is being said here. First, God is expressing that He hates it when we put images of any kind before Him, or instead of Him (we know that there are many &#8220;Christian&#8221; faiths that do this very thing), but more so, God is just zealous for the truth. Let us not bow down to images of anything created.

pallanfred

Okay, so this word &#8220;Visited&#8221;, in its Hebrew original language, can mean a possible two things: one is meaning that God will be Judging that generation, and the residual effects will last through a few following generations. Meaning, that if you bow down to man made images instead of God, you&#8217;ll be judged and that judgment will have adverse effects on his kin folk. We can imagine how this might manifest, perhaps by the father teaching his children to do the same thing as worshiping Idols, and their kids teaching their kids. The example of worship tends to go from generation to generation and there will be from two, to maybe two dozen people all worshiping false Idols, all from one mans decision to bow down to a statue (of course in the late seventies I had a Farra Faucet poster I bowed down to, but I was just a kid&#8230;now it is all God Jesus style). Or, &#8220;visiting&#8221; could also mean a judgment that would have an effect on the transgressors family for years to come; perhaps through the death of the perpetrator and not have the sage elder in the family that the Hebrew culture stood so proudly on. Lineage was huge for the Hebrews, and perhaps this would affect the lineage? There can be many things that derive from this. But one thing is for sure, since God mentions it over and over again, it must be severely important to Him.
Now, let&#8217;s look at this other scripture: &#8220;Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their fathers; a person shall be put to death for his own sin.&#8221; Deut. 24:16&#8230;.and&#8230;.&#8221;The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.&#8221;Ezekiel 18:20
These scriptures, especially is you take them into context, simply mean what they say. God will not hold you responsible for your fathers, or son&#8217;s guilt. God will not judge you by what your father or son has done. Will you be influenced by your fathers&#8217; actions? Sure, and will your son be influenced by your sin? Sure. But this doesn&#8217;t mean that you are guilty of what your dad or son has done. We are all responsible for our own sin. So you see, there really isn&#8217;t a double standard here, just a misunderstanding.
You&#8217;ll find this is the case every time. Taking scripture into context, doing the research in root word definitions, alongside translation complications, we must make sure that what we seek to destroy doesn&#8217;t come back to us and bring judgment upon ourselves.
Before I go, Heneni, I want to encourage you to push forward in your dealing with atheists, why are they on a Christian forum? Not just to start trouble, but to find the truth. There is a part of them that really hopes it is not all a bunch of rubbish. We must answer their questions, otherwise, they&#8217;ll feel justified in ignoring God, and tragically, on the day of the resurrection, they will not receive their new bodies, and the old ones they have will be destroyed forever. (Not this eternal torment rubbish that modern Christiandom is deluded into thinking)
I hope that helps&#8230;

Arlanbb

pallanfred [FONT=Calibri said:
I am a bible thumping, gospel believing, Christ centered Biblican&#8230;and I think that you need to answer the question about what that other dude asked about. He brings up a good point. There are many areas in scripture that seem, at first appearance, to contradict themselves.[/FONT]

"For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me&#8221; Exodus 20:4-5.

Of all the scripture given in the bible the 10 commandments is about as close as you get to God really writing anything in the bible. These are God's own thoughts as expressed by this auther.
Now what is an "INIQUITY" = it is a sin.
What does "VISITING" mean here = to inflect punishment, according to my dictionary.

So what God is saying is that if you hate God, God is going to inflect punishment of the Fathers sins upon his children to their third and fourth generation.

This sounds to me as a threat, God is manifesting a vengeful spirit on childen of a father because the father hates God. Now some say "will God really is not going to do that, all he is doing is frighting people into believing he would do that so that they will love God." That is a very strange way to get his people to LOVE their God.

We have had the same type of problem having to do with a B A S T A R D and decendents to the 10 generation in another Thread on Deut 23.

I know it is getting close to Hallowean but does the biblical God have to scare people into LOVING Him? Is that true LOVE or more FEAR? arlan

Arlanbb

CHARITY ~ My posting was not with you so any agreement we had has not been broken between you and I. [When did we make such an agreement?] arlan

Heneni

Miss Independent
A mans mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild; but whether cultivated or neglected, it must, and will bring forth fruit.

That fruit, is very often what others are presented with. The fruit of the mind of posters are presented to us everytime they post. What type of fruit are we getting? Do you like the fruit you are getting? Does it fill you up? Does it make you grow? Does it make you feel nourished?

:sad:

Sometimes courage means you have the ability to say 'no'.

heneni

Arlanbb

HENENI ~ So you still don't want to answer my questions. I understand the problem it will give you if you did.