• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Support the Mormon Proposal to Allow Religious Discrimination?

Do you support a special right for religious people to legally discriminate?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Those two aren't comparable. When the customer refuses to use a service, they are just one individual refusing to use the service that they could use if they change their minds. That is not discrimination, because it can be changed at any time.

However, when a business decides to withhold a service from a person or a group of people, that is discrimination. A better comparison would be, say, a gay owner of a wedding-photo place withholding his services from Mormons, which would be equally as wrong & illegal.
I see what you're saying. I suppose I'd have to agree with you on that. What has always struck me as weird, though, is why an LGBT couple would even want to support a company that didn't want their business. I mean, if I were a lesbian woman who wanted to marry my partner and had to choose a photographer, I would not be inclined to choose the one I knew was opposed to my marriage in the first place. I'd want to give my business to someone whose reaction to my marriage was, "Congratulations and best wishes!" Yeah, it's always possible that this is the only photographer available, but when there were other options, why not just use one of them?

At any rate, I'm still waiting for the OP to quote any of the four LDS spokespersons who made statements. If any of them really did make a statement that means what the OP is saying, it went over my head.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I see what you're saying. I suppose I'd have to agree with you on that. What has always struck me as weird, though, is why an LGBT couple would even want to support a company that didn't want their business. I mean, if I were a lesbian woman who wanted to marry my partner and had to choose a photographer, I would not be inclined to choose the one I knew was opposed to my marriage in the first place. I'd want to give my business to someone whose reaction to my marriage was, "Congratulations and best wishes!" Yeah, it's always possible that this is the only photographer available, but when there were other options, why not just use one of them?
I think it's simply the principle of the matter, not to mention that against the law is against the law, regardless if there are alternatives.

Reactions: gsa

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I don't know about Utah, but here in Indiana Church run schools get a lot of taxpayer funding and the push is on for more.

Tom
BYU does receive federal funding, and must therefore follow Title IX. It does not receive federal funds for daily operation, but it does receive federal funds in the form of research grants and Pell grants. That's all I was actually able to find out.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Of all of the negative things that have been said about religion by any of the anti-religious pundits like Hitchens or Dawkins, or any angry internet/youtube poster, or even by any member of this board, nothing is as damming to religion as this proposal. This proposal is saying in as many words that it is impossible to practice certain religions without being a bigot. I am not the one saying this, the people who want exceptions to discrimination laws are saying that. How much more clear can it be said? They are saying that their religion forces them to discriminate. What could be a worse criticism than that?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Of all of the negative things that have been said about religion by any of the anti-religious pundits like Hitchens or Dawkins, or any angry internet/youtube poster, or even by any member of this board, nothing is as damming to religion as this proposal. This proposal is saying in as many words that it is impossible to practice certain religions without being a bigot. I am not the one saying this, the people who want exceptions to discrimination laws are saying that. How much more clear can it be said? They are saying that their religion forces them to discriminate. What could be a worse criticism than that?
Fantome, would you please provide a quote you believe says that? Everybody keeps saying, "The Mormon Church wants to pass laws giving them the right to discriminate against gays and lesbians." So far, nobody has provided a quote. If that's what they said, I evidently missed it. If I missed it, I will admit I was wrong.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Being a pluralist, I support the right of cultural groups to exist and preserve their traditions, regardless of whether or not others happen to personally agree with them. Given we also exist in a country where there are overarching laws that, for better or worse, interfere with expressions of culture, I also support reasonable limitations on cultural practices as guided by common principles laid out by democratic consensus. Thus, I voted "other," because it depends on the specifics, and how loose we're being with that word "discrimination." Also, because in most respects, what I think doesn't matter.

In this particular case, it is not my business to tell another religion what they should or shouldn't do within their own tradition. But, regardless of what they choose to do within their tradition, they are also part of a broader culture. For better or worse, that culture may interfere with their decision. Things will play out as they will.
This isn't about their beliefs but about the status and rights of the lgbt community. You've missed the point entirely.

gsa

In order to substantiate your claims, would you mind quoting any of the four individuals who spoke at the news conference? Thank you.

Sure; they don't explicitly say what they are looking for, but their examples make it clear enough. From Holland:

In addition to institutional protections, individual people of faith must maintain their constitutional rights. This would include living in accordance with their deeply held religious beliefs, including choosing their profession or employment or serving in public office without intimidation, coercion or retaliation from another group. For example, a Latter-day Saint physician who objects to performing abortions or artificial insemination for a lesbian couple should not be forced against his or her conscience to do so, especially when others are readily available to perform that function. As another example, a neighborhood Catholic pharmacist, who declines to carry the “morning after” pill when large pharmacy chains readily offer that item, should likewise not be pressured into violating his or her conscience by bullying or boycotting.

Note that there is no constitutional right to discriminate in the provision of services. Nor is there any legal recourse for those who are "pressured" into something because of social stigma.

Almost all of Oaks' examples were of the "pressure" variety, save this:

In the state of California, two-dozen Christian student groups have been denied recognition because they require their own leaders to share their Christian beliefs. The university system is forcing these groups to compromise their religious conscience if they want recognition for their clubs.

What they are talking about here is publicly funded university groups discriminating in membership on the basis of sexual orientation. Sorry, but LGBT groups cannot exclude Christians. Again, what is being sought is a special right.

He also said this, which is deeply offensive:

When religious people are publicly intimidated, retaliated against, forced from employment or made to suffer personal loss because they have raised their voice in the public square, donated to a cause or participated in an election, our democracy is the loser. Such tactics are every bit as wrong as denying access to employment, housing or public services because of race or gender.

Translation: Mormon individuals and businesses who campaigned against extending rights to gay people should be able to do so without being criticized or losing business. Holding them responsible for seeking to disparage and discriminate against LGBT people is the same as firing someone because of his race or denying a single woman access to housing.

it's clear that you detest Mormonism. Tell me something I don't already know.

It is true that I don't think highly of your religion. I'm not going to deny it or sugarcoat it. But my objection here has nothing to do with the wild claims of Joseph Smith and everything to do with a political and religious debate point.

I have one question for you now: Should people (let's say members of the LGBT community) be able to boycott a Mormon-owned business if they want?

Yes. Anyone should be able to boycott anything. Some kinds of boycotts are vile (i.e., anti-Semitic boycotts, homophobic boycotts, racist boycotts). Your example is not one of those things, unless it is solely because of the Mormonism, and not because of certain church activities or political donations, for example.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
BYU does receive federal funding, and must therefore follow Title IX. It does not receive federal funds for daily operation, but it does receive federal funds in the form of research grants and Pell grants. That's all I was actually able to find out.

I wasn't talking about university level schools. Those students are grownups. I am talking about elementary and high school. Where kids are taught "Jesus loves you if you stay in Church. Those other people are going to hell", in between arithmetic and spelling and geography.

Tom

gsa

I see what you're saying. I suppose I'd have to agree with you on that. What has always struck me as weird, though, is why an LGBT couple would even want to support a company that didn't want their business. I mean, if I were a lesbian woman who wanted to marry my partner and had to choose a photographer, I would not be inclined to choose the one I knew was opposed to my marriage in the first place. I'd want to give my business to someone whose reaction to my marriage was, "Congratulations and best wishes!" Yeah, it's always possible that this is the only photographer available, but when there were other options, why not just use one of them? .

You can say the same about any form of discrimination. Why would black people want to eat at a restaurant owned by racists? Why would a woman be upset that she was rejected as an applicant in a firm that only wants to hire men? Etc.

What those people were saying is that they were above the laws prohibiting discrimination and they shouldn't be forced to serve "those people," and "those people" can be substituted any way that you like.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
From the article linked in the OP.
Oh, my gosh! You're not stupid, fantome. The article was written by a journalist who attempted to paraphrase what the Church's statement was. I personally don't think he did a very good job of it. Did anybody actually listen to the news conference itself?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Oh, my gosh! You're not stupid, fantome. The article was written by a journalist who attempted to paraphrase what the Church's statement was. I personally don't think he did a very good job of it. Did anybody actually listen to the news conference itself?
Do you have a link to it?

But regardless of whether or not this journalist has correctly described this particular proposal doesn't actually change my point. There are laws on the books that allow religious exemptions to things like discrimination laws, religious exemptions for hate speech etc. These kind of religious legal exemptions do exist. And nothing any religious critic could say is a damming to religion as the fact that people feel they need these exemptions.

gsa

Do you have a link to it?

But regardless of whether or not this journalist has correctly described this particular proposal doesn't actually change my point. There are laws on the books that allow religious exemptions to things like discrimination laws, religious exemptions for hate speech etc. These kind of religious legal exemptions do exist. And nothing any religious critic could say is a damming to religion as the fact that people feel they need these exemptions.

The italicized examples in Post #29 upthread are quotes from the Mormon speech. They are asking for greater exemptions than are enjoyed today. So for example, a pharmacist would not have to fill a prescription if they deemed it "immoral," nor would a physician have to offer services to LGBT people. Those are actual examples.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Sure; they don't explicitly say what they are looking for, but their examples make it clear enough. From Holland:

In addition to institutional protections, individual people of faith must maintain their constitutional rights. This would include living in accordance with their deeply held religious beliefs, including choosing their profession or employment or serving in public office without intimidation, coercion or retaliation from another group. For example, a Latter-day Saint physician who objects to performing abortions or artificial insemination for a lesbian couple should not be forced against his or her conscience to do so, especially when others are readily available to perform that function. As another example, a neighborhood Catholic pharmacist, who declines to carry the “morning after” pill when large pharmacy chains readily offer that item, should likewise not be pressured into violating his or her conscience by bullying or boycotting.
Well, I guess if you think an LDS doctor should be required to perform an abortion when it goes against his moral conscience, we really are at odds here. I don't believe anyone should have to be forced by the laws of the land to go against what his conscience tells him is wrong.

Almost all of Oaks' examples were of the "pressure" variety, save this:

In the state of California, two-dozen Christian student groups have been denied recognition because they require their own leaders to share their Christian beliefs. The university system is forcing these groups to compromise their religious conscience if they want recognition for their clubs.

What they are talking about here is publicly funded university groups discriminating in membership on the basis of sexual orientation. Sorry, but LGBT groups cannot exclude Christians. Again, what is being sought is a special right.
I'm sorry but you lost me. Are you saying that Christian student organizations should be required to include LGBT students in their group? To me, the idea that they'd want to do such a think kind of sucks, but I think they should be allowed to. These are, after all, social organizations. There have been many, many instances of "Christian" groups (sports teams, etc.) refusing to allow Mormons to play. This sucks, too, but I don't believe it should be illegal.

He also said this, which is deeply offensive:

When religious people are publicly intimidated, retaliated against, forced from employment or made to suffer personal loss because they have raised their voice in the public square, donated to a cause or participated in an election, our democracy is the loser. Such tactics are every bit as wrong as denying access to employment, housing or public services because of race or gender.

Translation: Mormon individuals and businesses who campaigned against extending rights to gay people should be able to do so without being criticized or losing business. Holding them responsible for seeking to disparage and discriminate against LGBT people is the same as firing someone because of his race or denying a single woman access to housing.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree with your translation. I believe in freedom of speech, including freedom of speech in the political arena. A person shouldn't have to worry about his property being vandalized, for instance, simply because his political ideology is offensive to someone else, nor should he lose his job for having bigoted opinions. Personally, I detest bigotry, but our constitution gives us the right to speak our minds.

It is true that I don't think highly of your religion. I'm not going to deny it or sugarcoat it. But my objection here has nothing to do with the wild claims of Joseph Smith and everything to do with a political and religious debate point.
That's nice to hear.

Yes. Anyone should be able to boycott anything. Some kinds of boycotts are vile (i.e., anti-Semitic boycotts, homophobic boycotts, racist boycotts).
I think I'm starting to get it. Anti-semitism is vile, but anti-Mormonism is another matter.

Look, we're never going to do anything but go around in circles on this topic. I have had a long-standing policy of not wasting my time repeating myself time and time again. You and I definitely don't agree on this point at all. While I commend my Church's leaders in their efforts to guarantee that LGBT people not be discriminated against in housing or employment, you can do nothing but criticize. I have really said all I have to say on this thread. No doubt people will continue to direct questions, comments and accusations my way. I just hope they don't lose any sleep waiting for me to answer. Having expressed my opinion, I'm done here.

Last edited:

gsa

Well, I guess if you think an LDS doctor should be required to perform an abortion when it goes against his moral conscience, we really are at odds here. I don't believe anyone should have to be forced by the laws of the land to go against what his conscience tells him is wrong.

No. No one forces physicians to offer abortion services, as you well know. But the lesbian example is far more illuminating: Mormons say that a Mormon doctor who offers in vitro fertilization services should be allowed to deny those services to lesbians, even as they are offered to heterosexuals.

I'm sorry but you lost me. Are you saying that Christian student organizations should be required to include LGBT students in their group? To me, the idea that they'd want to do such a think kind of sucks, but I think they should be allowed to. These are, after all, social organizations. There have been many, many instances of "Christian" groups (sports teams, etc.) refusing to allow Mormons to play. This sucks, too, but I don't believe it should be illegal.

It is easy to lose you when you are constantly misreading what I write. No, if those organizations want to forgo university recognition and funding, they should be allowed to discriminate as much as they like. When they ask us to subsidize their discrimination, a line must be drawn.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree with your translation. I believe in freedom of speech, including freedom of speech in the political arena. A person shouldn't have to worry about his property being vandalized, for instance, simply because his political ideology is offensive to someone else, nor should he lose his job for having bigoted opinions. Personally, I detest bigotry, but our constitution gives us the right to speak our minds.

Everyone has the right to be free from violence and criminal acts. I even agree that bigots need to work, and I would support a law that prohibited termination for what an individual says or does on their own time. But you know, the constitution guarantees free speech, not freedom from consequences for that speech.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'd have much less trouble with religious people who want to discriminate if they didn't also want special tax exemptions.

Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This isn't about their beliefs but about the status and rights of the lgbt community. You've missed the point entirely.

That others see a different picture or tell a different story does not mean others have missed the point. It means that there are other points we feel are worth making.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I haven't given it that much thought, but I suppose so. For example, I don't believe that a Catholic priest should have to perform a marriage when one of the individuals to be married has been divorced.
I was being sarcastic. I was pointing to one example of the fact that what the government does and doesn't recognize has no bearing on what churches are and aren't required to do.

The fact that divore and remarriage is allowed by the government does not mean that Catholic priests are forced to marry divorced people. The fact that the government recognizes the legal equality of men and women does not mean that the LDS Church has been forced to ordain women. The fact that the government recognizes same-sex marriage does not mean that the LDS Church will be forced to solemnize same-sex marriages.

Okay, so you're saying this is about the Mormon Church claiming the right to only employ Mormons at the church-owned Deseret Book Store. Is that right?
I think it's more about trying to secure the right for church-owned companies, even if they have no religious function (like Utah Property Management Associates), to do things like deny family health insurance coverage to LGBT employees and their families while offering it to straight employees.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do you think the same about other similar situations? Should those black people who were refused service at Denny's have just found another restaurant?

At any rate, I'm still waiting for the OP to quote any of the four LDS spokespersons who made statements. If any of them really did make a statement that means what the OP is saying, it went over my head.

This speaks to some of what the OP describes:
At the same time, the apostle decried what he described as "the steady erosion of treasured [religious] freedoms that are guaranteed in the United States Constitution."

For evidence, the Mormon apostle noted California schools' refusal to recognize Christian student groups simply because those organizations require their own leaders to be Christian, and government lawyers subpoenaing the sermons and notes of pastors who opposed parts of a new law on religious grounds.

Oaks also pointed to 1984 gold medalist Peter Vidmar, a Mormon gymnast who resigned as symbolic head of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team for the London Summer Games after drawing fire for his support of California's Proposition 8 and his opposition to same-sex marriage. In addition, a CEO at Mozilla stepped down from the high-tech firm after his contribution to Prop 8 created an Internet uproar.

"When religious people are publicly intimidated, retaliated against, forced from employment or made to suffer personal loss because they have raised their voice in the public square, donated to a cause or participated in an election, our democracy is the loser," said Oaks, a former Utah Supreme Court justice. "Such tactics are every bit as wrong as denying access to employment, housing or public services because of race or gender."

This bit speaks to the issues I touched on:
Holland, who joined Oaks at the Conference Center briefing in downtown Salt Lake City, said religious organizations should have the right to "use church properties in accordance with their beliefs without second-guessing from government."

Faith groups should be allowed to set their own rules for "employment, honor code standards and accreditation as church schools," he said, and "church-owned businesses or entities that are directly related to the purposes and functions of the church must have the same latitude."
In major move, Mormon leaders call for statewide LGBT protections | The Salt Lake Tribune