• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want God to exist?

chinu

chinu
I know all the reason that atheists don't believe God exists: No proof, POE, can not be explained reasonably, etc.
But would you prefer that God does not exists?
If it some how was proven, someday, God is real, would you be disappointed?

Why to be disappointed, We will say, "We were just joking Man!!!"- Sayings of Atheists, for that time.:D:D:D:D:D

_/\_
Chinu

Vansdad

Aaahhh - but they are not judging God, they are judging what other people say about God, and write about God, and tell us about God.

We don't absolutely KNOW enough about God to form judgements, which is sort of the point. Since no one can even offer objective proof of God's existence, the judgements being made are on other peoples' word and ideas, not "judging God".
Form your own opinion instead of listening to others. God it too complex for one person to define. I've found He is different to different people.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I know all the reason that atheists don't believe God exists: No proof, POE, can not be explained reasonably, etc.
It depends. If God is evil then no I would'nt want it to exist, but if it is good then yes.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
The question is interesting, because it tells us why people really believe in God. It is not so much because God explains anything, although atheistic arguments usually attack that aspect of religion. It is because God has something to offer us. Atheism promises us nothing--no afterlife, no miracles, no settling of scores. People can pray to God, but atheism takes that away. So I would not argue against the existence of God on the grounds that I would prefer to have no afterlife or for there to be no justice in the universe. For the vast majority of believers, God offers real hope that our circumstances will ultimately be better than they now appear to be.

What drives my atheism is not that I want to see hope dashed for myself and others. It is the desire to make sense of my life and the universe while I still have time to enjoy it. If I could have a real Santa Claus for Christmas, that would be wonderful, too. But ultimately, I need to know where those Christmas presents really come from if I expect to continue receiving them. Because I do not believe in Santa Claus, I know that I must also give presents in order to receive them. I also know that I must work hard in order to be able to afford to give presents. Religious belief helps us cope with life's difficulties, but it can also become one of life's difficulties.

Mr Orange

Meditate

Im not sure if i'd be happy or disappointed- would i care? i do believe what would matter to me is the nature of this 'god' for example if he brings fire and burns inderviduals for simply not believeing in him. i'd have a grudge obviously, or is he a peaceful and loving deity wanting us to achieve enlightenment and reality?.... i'd need more information about this deity of what you claim to be a god.

yes, i think that would have an appeal to me. i just cant digest the evolution theory, but i also have a hard time with alot of what i have read in the bible about that god.
i think the most appealing thing to me would be simply knowing that everything was made by someone, and although i might not know why he created it all, it would be enough to know that he must have done it for a reason.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't really care.

If there is absolute evidence for a god that comes along on the news all over the world tomorrow or whenever I will just be like "Okay, now we know that a God exists." I wouldn't care for it because we can prove things that are extraordinary but I always believe that anything is possible unless there is evidence contradicting it.

I would not choose to worship or go against this God, I'd just acknowledge its existence.

ellenjanuary

Syntax error. Existence limits god; an entity thus restrained is undesirable, it would imply that the destiny of beings crafted in the image of god cannot transcend existence.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the most general sense, I don't have much of preference.

Although, most gods that I've had described to me are rather petty, cruel, violent, and childish, so I'd definitely be disappointed in existence if any of those exist. I mean, if it turned out Zeus exists, and goes around having sex with women, I would find that to be a ridiculous and nonsensical situation. If it turned out that some random religion "got it right" and the proposed existence of some god that wants people to believe a certain thing, or do a certain thing, and gets upset and violent when they don't, then I would find that to be a ridiculous and nonsensical situation as well. Most descriptions of gods leave me rather uninspired, to say the least.

If there were some benevolent deity, I guess I'd be neutral to such a thing. When I was a child converting to atheism, I deeply wanted to believe in the god that I was losing belief in because it was a pretty nice god. But over time, and with more experience and thought put into it, I would have no particular interest in the existence of any gods.

waitasec

Veteran Member

thus far god has shown it's self to be indifferent, so even if there was a deity or whatever, my life would still have as much meaning to me then as it does now.
there is no difference.

Ubjon

Unless there was some sort of discourse with that God I don't think it would change anything. The problem with religion tends to be beliefs that have been built up around the belief in God, not belief in God itself. Just because that God is now real doesnt' mean that the religious are correct in their beliefs.

I suspect that the main consequence will be more conflict as the various religions will wrongly see this as confirmation that everything they claimed is correct, rather than just the bit about God, and they'll try even harder to impose their beliefs on others.

Another issue would be the religious would become unbearably smug and intolerable to be around even through they've nothing to be smug around. Its not like they spent years researching a scientific theory and finally after much blood, sweat and tears they're research has paid off. The religious have made an unsubstantiated claim and by pure chance have turned out to be right.