• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a belief in a god show lack of education?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Becuase "God" is the name of the monotheistic God, for all practicle purposes. So capitalizing God in the monotheistic sense is no different than Captializing Thor or Zeus.
Are you talking about Jehovah, Yaweh, Allah, Cao Dai, Ahura Mazda or a different god?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Ah yes, the "atheist grammar conspiracy" argument.
And don't forget the "King James Bible grammar conspiracy".

But god isn't a proper noun like Loke or Shiva or Jehovah. You might as well claim we should be capitalising ghost or horse.
Are you sure you've "edited grammar books"?

This leaped out at me as well....

All monotheistic versions of God, whether Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Deist, Lakota, all refer to the one and only creator of the universe who has not other gods to compete with.

Which are of course beliefs, then this:

AGain, belief is not the issue.

It seems it's ok for some theists to insist their beliefs are respected as they see fit, but it's not ok when others disbelieve them.

For me the word god is never a proper noun, others may capitalise it if they wish of course, but that's their belief.

KWED

Then I have to correct you, because for all practicle purposes, "God" is the name of the monoetheistic God.
Why did you capitalise the second "god" in that sentence when you were referring to the type of being and not the individual's name? Please be consistent.

KWED

I disagree. Different monotheists have different versions of God, but all acknowledge this god as the one and only God, creator of the universe, with no competition from other gods. Therefore, "God" functions as a NAME. It is SPECIFIC.
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. However, as I pointed out (with references), the rules of grammar beg to differ.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A belief in God is taught as multi varied just human thesis.

Do you choose your belief without personal research?

Yes says most of you.

Yet the human teaching used imposed human research themselves?

Yes.

Is the lacking of self education. Your choice.

lukethethird

unknown member
I disagree. Different monotheists have different versions of God, but all acknowledge this god as the one and only God, creator of the universe, with no competition from other gods. Therefore, "God" functions as a NAME. It is SPECIFIC.
Monotheism means your god is false unless it's exactly like mine.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
There are indeed a few top scientists who still believe in god.

That quote is often mined by religionists. Never really sure why, although I can understand why they never include its context.

A more self-contained Einstein quote on religion is...
“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can change this for me.”

But a lack of education does make belief in god more likely.

Not a religionist....not even all that religious.... What I am is a person who despises generalizations, and labels....

Einstein also said
"God does not play dice with the universe."
"God tirelessly plays dice under laws which he has himself prescribed."

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I don't believe that.

Not to me, as I am an atheist.
Sorry, but whether you believe in a god or not has no bearing on its name. I don't believe in Zeus, but I still have to respect the name of Zeus being the name of a deity, and capitalize it.

IndigoChild5559

Monotheism means your god is false unless it's exactly like mine.
Go study some religion before you make ridiculous claims like that. There is a substantial difference in the KIND of God a monotheistic god is over a polytheistic god.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
No, if you are not capitalizing the monotheistic God, whether he be the Jewish version or the Deistic version or the Lakota version, you are not using good English grammar.
Maybe I'm using bad Christian grammar but in English capitalizing "god" makes no sense.
Of course you can name your dog "Dog", but it is an (especially Christian) misconception that that is the intent of the Bible. The names of the "monotheistic" gods of the Bible are El, Moloch, Baal and Yhvh.
"God" is not used as a name. You can see that also in the fact that "god" has been translated, which should never be done with names. Gott, dieu, dios, deus, allah are obviously not just different spellings but actual translations.
The second hint for a religious exception to the normal rules is that religious authors and translators love to capitalize anything connected to the worshipped. "Christ", "Lord" and even "He" are often seen in Bibles. That is not by normal English grammar but by religious grammar (which, unfortunately, has influenced secular English grammar so that people now believe that "God" is a proper noun).

lukethethird

unknown member
Go study some religion before you make ridiculous claims like that. There is a substantial difference in the KIND of God a monotheistic god is over a polytheistic god.
Listen bud, monotheism means one true god, therefore other gods are false. What I stated stands, monotheism just means your god is false unless it is exactly like mine.

IndigoChild5559

Maybe I'm using bad Christian grammar but in English capitalizing "god" makes no sense.
Of course you can name your dog "Dog", but it is an (especially Christian) misconception that that is the intent of the Bible. The names of the "monotheistic" gods of the Bible are El, Moloch, Baal and Yhvh.
"God" is not used as a name. You can see that also in the fact that "god" has been translated, which should never be done with names. Gott, dieu, dios, deus, allah are obviously not just different spellings but actual translations.
The second hint for a religious exception to the normal rules is that religious authors and translators love to capitalize anything connected to the worshipped. "Christ", "Lord" and even "He" are often seen in Bibles. That is not by normal English grammar but by religious grammar (which, unfortunately, has influenced secular English grammar so that people now believe that "God" is a proper noun).
If thre was only one particular dog in existence, and you referred to that dog as "Dog," that would be an appropriate use of a capital letter.

If Lord is used as a name, like "Give this to the Lord," that is appropriate use of capitalization. If you are referring to A lord, rather than one in particular, you use the lower case lord.

IndigoChild5559

Listen bud, monotheism means one true god, therefore other gods are false. What I stated stands, monotheism just means your god is false unless it is exactly like mine.
But in monotheism, most monotheists simply believe in one God. They don't think Jews worship one God and Muslims worship a different God. In all these monotheistic religions, they simply use "God" as a name for God ( such as the arabic word for God, Allah).

IndigoChild5559

Are you talking about Jehovah, Yaweh, Allah, Cao Dai, Ahura Mazda or a different god?
All of those are names for the One God, with the exception of Ahura Mazda -- zoroastrianism is dualistic, believing in an evil essense that is at war with God.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would one believe parents are rational where their children are concerned?

Do me a favour please, and tell me what you believe rational means, as I am starting to think it means something else to me.
Inconceivable. He keeps saying rational, but I do not believe it means what he thinks it means.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If thre was only one particular dog in existence, and you referred to that dog as "Dog," that would be an appropriate use of a capital letter.
Yep, hence the use of "God" is simply a religious fallacy, not backed by evidence.
If Lord is used as a name, like "Give this to the Lord," that is appropriate use of capitalization. If you are referring to A lord, rather than one in particular, you use the lower case lord.

If Dog is used as a name, like "Give this to the Dog," that is appropriate use of capitalization. If you are referring to A dog, rather than one in particular, you use the lower case dog.

Does that feel right to you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just because I believe in Allah (God) does not mean I believe Jewish belief in God or Christian belief in God is wrong or false...

night912

But nothing that I've said is like what you're saying here. My post was addressing WHEN you were using capital "G" God improperly. Below is an example of what I mean. Your grammatical error is in bold. The second time is being used as a type of god and not as a name of a particular god. Being an atheist or theist is irrelevant because capitalizing the letter "g" on the second "god" is grammatically wrong.

Becuase "God" is the name of the monotheistic God, for all practicle purposes. So capitalizing God in the monotheistic sense is no different than Captializing Thor or Zeus.

And just in case you think that you can wiggle yourself out of this by saying that I'm using an example from a post you made after my response, here's the evidence of your improper use of the word "god" before I posted my comment. Ready?

Because when the idea is that there is only one God, that God is THE God. It's not a matter of "deserving." It's simply a matter of using good English grammar.

WAIT. There's more. Note what's in red. That is an adjective that's being used to describe a type of god. There should be a lowercase "g" instead of an uppercase one.

I'll give you the "reason." I've edited grammar books before, and I'll do it again now. "God" is effectively the name of the monotheistic God. Using a capital G is exactly the same thing as capitalizing Loke or Shiva. It looks to me like athiestic propaganda has infiltrated certain webistes. It doesn't change anything.

If its a name, you capitalize it. That's the rule.

Agreed. But you broke that rule in the examples that I've posted above. You are using a capital "g" when the word, "god" is not being used as a proper noun, or simply put it, a name. Your belief in God caused you to make this grammatical error when referring to a particular type of god such as, the monotheistic god(of Christianity) is equivalent to saying, "the polytheistic god known as, Thor." See how I only used capital "g" once? That's because it's being used as a name. It's a simple matter of using proper English grammar. Your belief does not change anything. Proper English grammar does not care if the user is an atheist or theist, monotheist or polytheist. You should read about "proper English grammar" instead of "English grammar conspiracy theories."

An easy way to recognize English grammatical errors is by replacing the word with a different one.

Example:
"the monotheistic god" = "the monotheistic deity"

Now compared that to "the monotheistic Deity."

Sorry for the long post but I just don't want information to be presented as being true when in fact, it's false information. This is one of the reasons why even some educated people are ignorant of certain topics.

BTW,
Capitalizing pronouns (he, him etc) when referring to God, is only a preference and not a rule for proper English grammar.

Last edited: