• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does An Experience of God Prove The Existence Of God?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Entirely so, I'm just asking what that justification is.
But it would be meaningless to you. For instance, let's say I have a particular concept of what "God" is, and if I claim as justification of my experience of this thing a detailed account of my experience of this thing, where does that leave you?

logician

But it would be meaningless to you. For instance, let's say I have a particular concept of what "God" is, and if I claim as justification of my experience of this thing a detailed account of my experience of this thing, where does that leave you?

Why the belligerence? Why do you say it would be meaningless, I'm just wanting to know what the exeperience is and why it is related to a god.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
If you have an experience of God, does that prove the existence of God? Why or why not?

No, no single experience of anything can prove something. Personal accounts are nothing if they are not backed up by empirical evidence.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Why the belligerence? Why do you say it would be meaningless, I'm just wanting to know what the exeperience is and why it is related to a god.
I'm sorry; I didn't mean to sound belligerent. Why wouldn't it be meaningless to you, if you have no concept of "a god"? Or to put it another way, you would simply have to chalk up the experience to something else --you would have no choice.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
What class? Surely it's relevance is entirely relative and case-specific.
It is relevant in almost every field.
Good old Statistics 101. How to design an experiment that shows meaningful results.
Also, how to accurately interpret results. Chapter 3 I think

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
If you have an experience of Leprechauns, does that prove the existence of Leprechauns? Why or why not?

In an emperical sense it does not. If however you think you had an experience of a leprechaun is that enough?
I can doubt everything except that I think, in order to live I have to go with working assumptions and with what makes 'sense' to me. It does not flow from this that my assumptions will work for anyone else.
So -
If you have an experience of God, does that prove the existence of God? Why or why not?

It does not prove it, but, nor do I think proof impacts on the subjective experience of it. Also subjective experience is virtually impossible to communicate.
We learnt this when we were kids. I don't know who wrote it

Reason has moons
But moons not hers
Lie mirrored on her seas
Confounding her astronomers
But O delighting me

If it delightful who cares whether or not it confounds, I find some of the delight in being confounded

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I don't know, was I dreaming? Did I have too much coffee? Not enough sleep? is it dark? Drugs? alcohol? Chocolate? With other words; even if you did have the experience than it isn't 100% accurate. So it would first strongly depend on the kind of experience..

With that, if your eyes experience a rainbow, is there actually a colored bow there or lots of water reflecting light? Is there a bow at all?

My personal answer though, I can't tell. Never had such an experience myself..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
God is everything and nothing.

If you have an experience of the everything/not-a-thing thing, can it be the same as having an experience of a just-a-thing?

Unification

Absolutely not. It's not even evidence for god. Using this logic, we could presume that it's also evidence for the flying spaghetti monster, angels, aliens, demons, dead loved ones and thousands of other mythical entities created in the span of human history. There's evidence to the contrary scientific explanation, which makes simple and obvious sense; the "touch of god" is explained away by the brain shooting itself up with dopamine and serotonine. The same thing happens when hugging or kissing a loved one, for example. The only prerequisite is that one must believe it to be true first, then the brain will dish out the chemicals. So, obviously those who "experience god" are going to claim it to be god; it's a form of self-hypnosis (we all accept hypnosis as fact, right?). To think that one's feelings are of the touch of a god, let alone a specific figure in organized religion, is flat-out ridiculous.

To think that a "god" automatically must be a supernatural deity, a specific figure just because many or organized religions say so or define it that way is also flat-out ridiculous.

Just as conditioned as the ones who assume supernatural deity, or a specific religious figure. The sharing of the same assumed beliefs of what a "god" is.

You may not believe in those "gods" but you believe that's what a "god" is and must be.

Senseless

Bonnie & Clyde
I think different people experience reality differently. Maybe some experience a reality in which a god or gods exist. If it works for you, that's great, and not for me to judge. Whether I personally would accept someone else's testimony of their experience with god as true for me as well would depend entirely on the context.

So....maybe?....I don't know.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
FYI, logican posted his remark 8 years ago and hasn't posted here since Aug 17, 2011.

An experience of Logician today would in many respects be more impressive than an experience of deity, given how long it's been since we last saw him.