• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Any Religion Require Us to be Intellectually Honest?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein

If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. -Albert Einstein

Buddhists must be intellectuality honest with them selves to examine their own faults and desires in order to transcend them.

Please note that while there may be some branches of Buddhism that see Buddha As a Deity I am speaking of the Atheistic/Agnostic Branches of Buddhism.
I disagree. Buddhism has more than its fair share of warts too, although it is not quite so hobbled as other religions.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Does any religion require its followers to be intellectually honest? If so, which religion is that? And why does the religion require intellectual honesty?

Depends what you call intellectually honest. What standard are we using here? One I can think of though is Deism.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
one question, what does intellectual honesty mean?

i'm serious though, i thought it to be normal plain honesty, but i looked it up and found a confusing answer which i don't understand. i think it's my english but anyhow, can someone explain it please.

Ben Masada

Does any religion require its followers to be intellectually honest? If so, which religion is that? And why does the religion require intellectual honesty?

ALL religions require of its followers to be intellectually honest, but as an act of
intellectual dishonesty.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
so in other words does my religion teach to say this is only based on belief, this is based on facts and belief and this other stuff i just don't know about. is that correct?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That would be a step in the right direction, at the very least. But intelectual honesty also involves a degree of personal commitment and discipline; it is not easy at first to resist the urge of being partial and biased.

Ben Masada

so in other words does my religion teach to say this is only based on belief, this is based on facts and belief and this other stuff i just don't know about. is that correct?

IMO, no, it is not. Religions, usually, do not admit that kind of honesty.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
well in islam we have belief in what is apparent and in what is hidden. that which is hidden is known aanly by god, we only know of that what god has wanted us to know, ie. we believe in the day of judgement, but when this day of judgment will be we do not know. thats all we have been told and thats all we must say. (just a brief example)

what do you mean with the other part of your post Luis, i apologise but for some reason i'm having one of those nights where i just can't understand plain english. if i come back to it a few days latter i might unnderstand what you are saying but tonight it's just not working. sorry.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Its not the religion that requires it, its yourself that requires it ... at least to make any progress at all in becoming a better person. Its like the first step in AA meetings ... admitting you have a problem.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
IMO, no, it is not. Religions, usually, do not admit that kind of honesty.

maybe the following verses might be of help as to what i'm saying:
2:1 Alif. Lam. Mim.
2:2 THIS DIVINE WRIT - let there be no doubt about it is [meant to be] a guidance for all the God-conscious.
2:3 Who believe in [the existence of] that which is beyond the reach of human perception, and are constant in prayer, and spend on others out of what We provide for them as sustenance;