• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone believe the original scriptures? why or whynot?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.

Oh, did he ask you just now to tell us this?

Draka

Wonder Woman
We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.

Okie dokie. So glad you could contribute to this topic. Wait. Did you contribute?

dust1n

Zindīq
This is a good place to start being that not even the best of scientist and figure anything out I'd rather go back in history, starting with the scriptures that came first (according to historical FACTS!!!). So answer the question, this is specifically for non Christians. If you are Christian praise GOD! but if you are an atheist or something else I would like to know first and for most, do you believe that THE Bible is a factual historical document, WHY or WHY NOT???

:biglaugh:

Wannabe Yogi

Or what about the 23,000 archaeological digs directly related to historical events in the bible. 66 books, over 40 authors, in three different continents, three different languages all adding up to the same thing.

This is the problem with Modern American Christianity. Not all the archaeological facts or textual criticism would lead me to that the bible is 100% true history. Here are a few examples:

-There is no proof of stuff like the Exodus or that slaves were even used to build stuff in Egypt. In fact it looks like the Jews were always in parts of Israel.

-How did Moses write about his own death

-Why are their two different creation accounts that the order of things contradict.

-If at the time of Christ's death people came back from the dead all over the place why is there no Roman record of this. I am sure there would be some talk of the greatest thing that ever happened in history.

-Rabbits dont chew cud like it says in the OT.

I can go on and on for years with this type of thing.

This view that scripture is a science text book. This is a new thing for Christians. It started in the 1800s. Read the most importent Christian Theologian of all time has to say about this.

"It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation"
-Augustine (The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20 [A.D. 408]).

I go to the parts of the bible I find to be Inspirational. You see I believe that not only is Mythology more useful then History it can also be more true.

logician

This is a good place to start being that not even the best of scientist and figure anything out I'd rather go back in history, starting with the scriptures that came first (according to historical FACTS!!!). So answer the question, this is specifically for non Christians. If you are Christian praise GOD! but if you are an atheist or something else I would like to know first and for most, do you believe that THE Bible is a factual historical document, WHY or WHY NOT???

The Xian bible is by and large NOT a historical document. IT was not meant to be a document of history, but a "voted upon" collection of stories pushing a particular faith.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

>Does anyone believe the original scriptures? Why or why not?

The ORIGINAL scriptures are so old we don't even have them any more!

About the oldest we still have around are the Hindu scriptures, and even they have been at least somewhat altered and corrupted over the millenia.

Peace,

Bruce