• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone have a problem with IT?

rojse

RF Addict
I think that the lack of a genderless third person phrase for English is quite poor for the major world language.

Master Vigil

I am quite convinced that "god", "tao", whatever... is without gender. I am also quite convinced that it has no human characteristics. So no matter what "it" is, it will not be "disappointed" with anything being that disappointed is a human characteristic.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I am quite convinced that "god", "tao", whatever... is without gender. I am also quite convinced that it has no human characteristics. So no matter what "it" is, it will not be "disappointed" with anything being that disappointed is a human characteristic.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I'd like to clarify though... The green bit confuses me a little. :)

Do you mean to say that either way, it doesn't have the capacity to care about what it's called?

Rolling_Stone

what about genderless parent? I dont see the One as a parent figure.... but if you want to see it that way.....
Last time I checked "relationship" is not "gender."

Bill Cosby has story that illustrates what I mean. He describes a father and all the sacrifices he would make in working with his son at playing football. When he gets to the pros and the camera panned in on him, he would wave and say, "Hi, Mom!"

rojse

RF Addict
Are there genderless third persons in other languages?

I think most translate as "It"

There are languages that make a clear differentiation between objects, where "it" is an appropriate word, and animals or people, where "it" is not so appropriate..

The English language does not make a clear differentiation, or if it had, the usage has long changed.

For example, the artificially constructed language Esperanto has words for he and she, but also has the word "ĝi" which means "it" and "tiu" for a pan-gender word, when the gender is not known, for example, a baby.

Master Vigil

I'm inclined to agree with you. I'd like to clarify though... The green bit confuses me a little. :)

Do you mean to say that either way, it doesn't have the capacity to care about what it's called?
Not necessarily that it doesn't have the "capacity", just that it has no need for that capacity being that it isn't human.