• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does evil exist?

Ormiston

stemann said:
First off, it isn't clear that evil exists at all. Just what do you define evil as? What gives you the authority to call someone who murders toddlers for pleasure 'evil' and does not give them the authority to call you 'evil' for not doing as such?
You misunderstand me Stemann. The point of my thread was the evil, the adjective, exists. That's all. The rest of the thread was simply me attempting to analyze the good/evil duality. I don't believe good or evil exist beyond human labels.

Ormiston said:
You misunderstand me Stemann. The point of my thread was the evil, the adjective, exists. That's all. The rest of the thread was simply me attempting to analyze the good/evil duality. I don't believe good or evil exist beyond human labels.
I don't know why I am laughing. Neither do you. That's good.

I know why I am not laughing. But you do. That's evil.

Solon

Ormiston said:
Regarding the question of evil; it may be more relevant to ask the oh so obvious. Do you Humans exist, then you have your answer.

Solon

stemann

Time Bandit
Do you Humans exist, then you have your answer.
I dont see an answer whether we do or dont; what is it?

I don't know why I am laughing. Neither do you. That's good.

I know why I am not laughing. But you do. That's evil.
What??? Can you explain this a bit more to me please??

You misunderstand me Stemann. The point of my thread was the evil, the adjective, exists. That's all.
Ok, but what exactly do you mean by that term 'exists' here?
Do you mean the word exists as a mixture of letters?
Or that the word has a definition in one way or another?
Or something else?

stemann

Time Bandit
Evil is the wrong that man does when he chooses to do wrong by his own free will.
I think i am agreeing with John Eastern here (although i cant be sure, because i dont exactly understand what he said), but i dont think you are correct, for reasons similar to you dont define what 'wrong' means.

If i had never heard of the word 'evil' and didnt understand what it meant, how would you explain it to me, as the definition that you believe is true. (This was to michel but anyone can Join The Fun.)

Ormiston

stemann said:
Ok, but what exactly do you mean by that term 'exists' here?
Do you mean the word exists as a mixture of letters?
Or that the word has a definition in one way or another?
Or something else?
The word does have a definition-probably quite a few. That is how it exists, as an idea in a man's mind described by a word. Everyone's view is seperate and unique, but almost everyone knows what the word means, generally, whether you believe it actually applies to a specific action or not. I personally don't believe in absolute good/evil. I think that every action can be justified by someone, somewhere and I don't believe any sort of standardized rules have ever been presented to mankind by a supernatural being. I understand why we've structured civilization the way we have with right/wrong and good/evil - it's a necessity for peaceful co-existance.

stemann

Time Bandit
The word does have a definition-probably quite a few. That is how it exists, as an idea in a man's mind described by a word. Everyone's view is seperate and unique, but almost everyone knows what the word means, generally, whether you believe it actually applies to a specific action or not. I personally don't believe in absolute good/evil. I think that every action can be justified by someone, somewhere and I don't believe any sort of standardized rules have ever been presented to mankind by a supernatural being. I understand why we've structured civilization the way we have with right/wrong and good/evil - it's a necessity for peaceful co-existance.
I agree whole-heartedly. But, like I said, the point of the thread is in highlighting the difficulties of characterizing easily such dualities as light/dark, good/evil etc. Is one just the absence of another? The inverse of another? Is evil the absence of good? Could 'good' be just as easily described as the absence of 'evil' or is this illogical? If so, then 'good' and 'evil' arent just simply opposites.