• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does faith compromise a person's ability to reason?

Does faith compromise a person's ability to reason?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

asketikos

renouncing this world
I think that people of faith are more open-minded in some things like you but they are being too open minded about them. Claims about invisible spirits, miracles, and the like should be met with skepticism until some sort of evidence is provided.

Often religiosity means over-skepticism of good science like evolution and the big bang and even science in general. Faith is an epistomological imbalance.

I agree -- blind faith can blind people from realities of our nature, science, and other political and social realities. I guess so can atheism, or extreme disbelief.

I don't know about claims of miracles and spirits can ever be really proved, as they are mostly a matter of faith.

But i would just like to say that the theory of the big bang is hotly disbuted by astrophysicists today. Most astrophysicists don't believe that the universe started from the big bang -- BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2010-2011, What Happened Before the Big Bang?

I think that some atheists take scientific theories as facts -- such as the big bang and evoltuion -- they are after all, theories.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree -- blind faith can blind people from realities of our nature, science, and other political and social realities. I guess so can atheism, or extreme disbelief.

I don't know about claims of miracles and spirits can ever be really proved, as they are mostly a matter of faith.

But i would just like to say that the theory of the big bang is hotly disbuted by astrophysicists today. Most astrophysicists don't believe that the universe started from the big bang -- BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Horizon, 2010-2011, What Happened Before the Big Bang?

I think that some atheists take scientific theories as facts -- such as the big bang and evoltuion -- they are after all, theories.
The statements in this post are largely based on:

a) A misunderstanding of the Big Bang theory.
b) A misunderstanding of what a scientific theory is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Big Bang I know little about... but Biological Evolution is as solid a fact as they come. That the popular use of "theory" is far weaker than the scientific use of the same word does not make it any less true.

outhouse

Atheistically

evolution is fact and scientific theory which is not a normal theory. theses no debate about evolution.

as far as the BB it happened, because they dont know what happened before the 14 billion ish year ago doesnt mean magic man said "poof" there it is"

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Big Bang I know little about... but Biological Evolution is as solid a fact as they come. That the popular use of "theory" is far weaker than the scientific use of the same word does not make it any less true.
This is true.

There is nothing above a theory in the scientific realm. There is no way for a theory to become a fact. A theory is a collection and interpretation of facts.

Saying that something is "just a theory" or using similar language is not applicable because there is nothing higher than a theory in science.

smokydot

I believe faith distorts a person's sense of reality. People of faith are unable to use their reason to full effect. We see this occuring all the time. I myself experienced it when I had faith. My own journey as a Christian became more and more troubled towards the end, as I tried to use my reason to understand the countless theological, ethical, scientific and philosophical problems that my religion presented. Unfortunately, change does not come easy. Especially when there is the threat of eternal torture. Even thinking about the various problems Christianity presents seemed dangerous to me, as I thought I might be angering god. Religions that promote the concept of eternal torture are evil. Their God is a cruel psychopath. I hope these people will realize that their master is an evil tormenter, and that they have alligned themselves with the side of darkness and become blind followers of an evil being they imagine exists.
All human reasoning is the product of our disposition. We do not reason toward that to which we are not disposed, but we do reason toward
that to which we are disposed.

So what we find "reasonable" depends on our dispostion. Our disposition must be changed in order to change the way we reason.
And that is what happens to those who believe in Jesus Christ. . .they are born again, which means their disposition is changed.
Their changed disposition now reasons toward that to which they are disposed, which is God's truth as revealed in the Scriptures.

They most definitely use their reason. . .in fact, it is used in a much deeper way than it was before their changed disposition. But faith does not distort their reason--quite to the contrary, it enlightens it. Their reason sees and understands things it neither saw nor understood before, and it is used to lay hold of them.

waitasec

Veteran Member
All human reasoning is the product of our disposition. We do not reason toward that to which we are not disposed, but we do reason toward
that to which we are disposed.

So what we find "reasonable" depends on our dispostion. Our disposition must be changed in order to change the way we reason.

so far i agree. our disposition, which you failed to point out, is our inclination to give ourselves an undue sense of importance

And that is what happens to those who believe in Jesus Christ. . .they are born again, which means their disposition is changed.

i wouldn't say changed, i'd say reenforced.

Their changed disposition now reasons toward that to which they are disposed, which is God's truth as revealed in the Scriptures.

which reenforces biases

They most definitely use their reason. . .in fact, it is used in a much deeper way than it was before their changed disposition. But faith does not distort their reason--quite to the contrary, it enlightens it. Their reason sees and understands things it neither saw nor understood before, and it is used to lay hold of them.

because god is on their side...

ps....
wouldn't changing this disposition of self importance require one to realize their limitations?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Apparently, there are people whose ability to reason seems compromised by their faith. But I don't think that's true of everyone who has faith.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith

Extreme disbelief is not always blinding. Sometimes the greatest skepticism is based on the best of reasons. Blindness does not come from belief or disbelief, but from faith based on little evidence. Faith based on little evidence is a brand of mis-placed trust.

Thats right. No rational basis, just unproven mythology and speculation. Faith is a epistomological lottery.

None of those statements are true in the slightest. There is debate over the fine points of the big bang such as future rate of expansion of the universe, or the composition of the universe, but very little debate over whether it is true or not among cosmologists and astrophysisists over the last three decades.

As your article says most cosmologists do not think that the big bang STARTED the universe, but they do believe that it does describe the expansion of the universe and the creation of matter. The big bang has tons of evidence and I am taking a college class which is touching on the theory and will be glad to enlighten you.

The question over what started the universe is still up in the air and that is where the multiverse hypothesis comes in as your article says.

A theory in layman terms is the same as a hypothesis or a conjecture in scientific terms and a scientific theory in scientific terms is proportional to a fact in layman terms. Scientific theories have very strong evidence and some examples are the theory of gravity, theory of relativity, and atomic theory. The big bang theory and the theory of evolution and also solid facts (in layman terms).

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
On issues like homosexuality, stem cell research and abortion.................yes I think so.

I think it goes beyond those issues.

I'm in favor of homosexuals getting full marital rights, and stem cell research. And while I may personally be against abortion, politically I'm pro-choice. (And when I say against abortion, I mean that in the same way that I'm against purposely killing any sort of life needlessly.)

FAR more than any amount of faith can. ^_^

I think the two go hand in hand lol

In my experience love plays an important role in the lives of most people of faith. Certainly Christianity, but also of other faiths as well.

And love can certainly make a person vulnerable to taking many things on faith.

Both can, and I think very often do, seriously mess up someones ability to reason. I would be willing to bet, though, that there are a lot more people committing suicide per year because of love, than there are people becoming suicide bombers.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think the two go hand in hand lol

In my experience love plays an important role in the lives of most people of faith. Certainly Christianity, but also of other faiths as well.

And love can certainly make a person vulnerable to taking many things on faith.

Both can, and I think very often do, seriously mess up someones ability to reason. I would be willing to bet, though, that there are a lot more people committing suicide per year because of love, than there are people becoming suicide bombers.

Therefore, at least based on some peoples' reasonings, we should all stop loving and just become like Vulcans. ^_^

smokydot

so far i agree. our disposition, which you failed to point out, is our inclination to give ourselves an undue sense of importance
i wouldn't say changed, i'd say reenforced.
No, prior to faith in Jesus Christ, their disposition was unbelief regarding God's Word written, as is your disposition now.
which reenforces biases
That statement is biased.
because god is on their side...
You've got the cart before the horse. . .they are on God's side.
ps....
wouldn't changing this disposition of self importance require one to realize their limitations?
The disposition that is changed is their unbelief in the Word of God written, which is the disposition you have now.

They're still sinners like everyone else. . .but they are repentant sinners.

Last edited: