• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God accept human sacrifice?

ironangel

so it really boils down to which passage is the correct passage.
And that is a debate that noone can win.

No, it boils down to which is logical & correct. Your assertion of God accepting human sacrifice is false & not logical. God commanded his people to search the scriptures to understand Him & to understand the wisdom behind every passage.

Isa 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.

What I am saying is that human sacrificing is not His will nor did it ever crossed His heart. I just like to make you understand that accusing God of accepting human sacrifice is very wrong, it is tantamount of accusing someone something he did not even intend to do and accusing him of the act. Why accept something you did not even command?

Pro 8:8 All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
Pro 8:9 They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

You must understand that God is righteous, and there never was a single word that God commanded any human sacrifice so accepting such is illogical. He contradicts Himself if He says "burning your sons & daughters in the fire, I commanded it not neither came it into my heart" when actually it is acceptable to Him.... isn't it illogical? Try to understand His will & you will not conclude that God accepts human sacrifice.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You must understand that God is righteous, and there never was a single word that God commanded any human sacrifice so accepting such is illogical. He contradicts Himself if He says "burning your sons & daughters in the fire, I commanded it not neither came it into my heart" when actually it is acceptable to Him.... isn't it illogical? Try to understand His will & you will not conclude that God accepts human sacrifice.
Nice try.
Fact is that God did command a human sacrifice:
Gen 22:1-13
And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
seems you think that because an angel stopped the commanded sacrifice from taking place, that the command was not issued.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hmnnn, we have a verbal account that was handed down for YEARS before it was recorded in written form. One must wonder at the motive of someone who does not believe in God to claim that such a statement MUST come from him or else God is not who he says he is. Curious and more than a bit circular.

Nice try.
Gen 22:1-13
And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
seems you think that because an angel stopped the commanded sacrifice from taking place, that the command was not issued.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The Akedah is a masterful folkloric narrative that served, not to condone human sacrifice, but to justify the transition away from it.
That is just it.
Seems to me that there are several who are making the assumption that I believe God condones human sacrifice.
I do not.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Hmnnn, we have a verbal account that was handed down for YEARS before it was made recorded in written form. One must wonder at the motive of someone who does not believe in God to claim that such a statement MUST come from him or else God is not who he says he is. Curious and more than a bit circular.
then your argument is with Iron angel, not me:

Search the bible if there is an instance where God commanded any of His people to offer their sons or daugthers as burnt sacrifice. There is one... Abraham, but it was stopped by an angel saying...

Gen 22:11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
Gen 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
Gen 22:13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

ironangel

Nice try.

Gen 22:1-13​
And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.​
And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.​
And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.​

You're moving away from the main topic, does He accept or does he not? That instance was a test of faith, but offering human sacrifice was never His plans or intentions.

God tests his subjects, to see if they would heed or not, to obey or to rebel against Him.

Deu 8:2 And you shall remember the whole way that the LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not.

Your claim that God accepts human sacrifice is what this discussion is about. Even the passage I used which you used against me does not even back up your claim that God accepts human sacrifice. It rather proves that God really does not allow or accept human sacrifice.

Smoke

Done here.
You will not find anything there that God actually commanded Jephthah to offer her daughter as a human sacrifice.
True. But the Bible tells us that the Israelites practiced human sacrifice in connection with the worship of other gods as late as the reign of Manasseh, and the story of Jephthah gives us a hint that human sacrifice was practiced in connection with the worship of Yahweh as late as the time of the Judges.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Didn't the Christian god sacrifice his son?

That is what I alluded to on page 3 or 4 and got jumped all over for it. I really don't see how the Jesus story is anything other than a human sacrifice. "The ultimate sacrifice" serving to keep all of us from having to continue burnt offering type sacrifices, as I recall it from Sunday School.

For some reason people don't seem to want to look at the Christ figure as a human sacrifice. Why, I cannot imagine, seems pretty clear to me. This man is killed to appease an angry god and as a scapegoat for the sins of all mankind. Yeah, there is nothing about that scenario that sounds like "human sacrifice" I guess. :shrug:

B.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Your claim that God accepts human sacrifice is what this discussion is about. Even the passage I used which you used against me does not even back up your claim that God accepts human sacrifice. It rather proves that God really does not allow or accept human sacrifice.
I disagree.
The passage says that the vow was a burnt offering.
The passage further states that the vow was fulfilled.

Your CLAIM is that the more ACCEPTABLEPOST #36 explanation is that her remaining a virgin fulfills the vow.

So if you think that God accepting a human sacrifice is unacceptable, by all means, go with the more acceptable to your beliefs version.
I will stick to what the verses actually say.

ironangel

I disagree.
The passage says that the vow was a burnt offering.
The passage further states that the vow was fulfilled.

Your CLAIM is that the more ACCEPTABLEPOST #36 explanation is that her remaining a virgin fulfills the vow.

So if you think that God accepting a human sacrifice is unacceptable, by all means, go with the more acceptable to your beliefs version.
I will stick to what the verses actually say.

and the verses say "and she knew no man." I just don't know if you understand what it means.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
roli said:
Regardless of how men view God or compile certain scripture and make conclusions concerning things that took place in the Old testament and God, he has never taken pleasure in the death of any people.

Oh no?

Proverbs 16 (King James Version)
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.