• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Answer Prayers?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I prefer to keep the power to myself in the way my life goes, rather than put it at the mercy of something which may or may not exist, who could choose to either say "yes" or "no" on a whim. My own personal power is one thing I can guarantee - everything else I can't.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I prefer to keep the power to myself in the way my life goes, rather than put it at the mercy of something which may or may not exist, who could choose to either say "yes" or "no" on a whim. My own personal power is one thing I can guarantee - everything else I can't.

In a sense, this is what we all do. We don't believe that God drops new Cadillacs out of the sky or puts a million dollars in our bank account. We believe that God helps us find a way to do the things we want or help us find a better job to have extra money to save up for what we want.

Beaudreaux

In a sense, this is what we all do. We don't believe that God drops new Cadillacs out of the sky or puts a million dollars in our bank account. We believe that God helps us find a way to do the things we want or help us find a better job to have extra money to save up for what we want.

God helps you find a better job? Is this something you have received from God in the past?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Which happens to be the exact same as doing nothing whatsoever and calling it "God's will."

Dezzie

Hey Dezzie. I'm a bit confused. You list your religion as "agnostic" yet you seem to believe in God. Can you clarify for we the easily flummoxed? :)

Do you ever pray for others? Perhaps someone who is ill? Have you ever prayed for something that did not come to pass?

Well... I guess instead of Agnostic I should put still searching. I believe in God, of course. I think I have found myself more by using this site... I've always been searching for my true way... My believes lean more to Christianity... I don't believe in everything though... I guess I am just "stuck"... :shrug: :confused:

I do pray for others. I do that more than praying for myself. Another person's health and life matters a lot to me... almost more than myself. It's only every once and a while I will pray for help too. :bow: :)

Beaudreaux

I do pray for others. I do that more than praying for myself. Another person's health and life matters a lot to me... almost more than myself. It's only every once and a while I will pray for help too. :bow: :)

So, when you pray for others such as those with health problems, do you ask God to heal them?

Dezzie

So, when you pray for others such as those with health problems, do you ask God to heal them?

That is a great question you ask. :)
I guess when I pray for other people with a health problem/risk, I ask God to give them strength. I also pray that God watch over them... not necessarily to "heal" them, but to, like I said, give them the strength to help themselves get better. I believe that when a person is healed from their health problems, I believe it is because it is not their "time". Sometimes even if we pray for those sick people, they still pass away or do not get better. I believe God has a time for all of us. God knows when we will die and knows how. I believe God is the one that creates that time. I guess my answer leans more towards the "serious" health risks...

tomspug

Absorbant
The Bible is ambiguous on many things, but one of the subjects on which it is very clear is prayer. In multiple locations, Jesus tells his followers that if they ask God for something in prayer that He will provide it.

Christians I have encountered understandably to take this to heart. I have friends who not only pray to God in private, but take part in prayer groups that collectively go to God in prayer to make requests.

My question is, does anyone really believe that God grants prayer requests?
Happens every day, but rarely is it what you expect.

logician

So god keeps somebody else from getting a good job so you can get it?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So god keeps somebody else from getting a good job so you can get it?
Good God, give me a break! Some of you guys are such pessimists and only see negative in a positive statement. :shrug: Oh, it couldn't be positive, because you guys disagree with it. :D

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.

Thing is, if you *don't* end up getting a better job, then you can place some of the blame to God for that couldn't you?

I mean... instead of allowing yourself to rely entirely on your own power - a power that DOES reside in you whether God exists or not - then you remain partly blameless for failings no?

Understand, I'm not attempting to squish your PoV, I'm merely suggesting that a level of reliance on something else to make things happen in your life gives away the power you have already.

Having said all that, sometimes I'll have a wee chat to my "higher self" to outline what it is exactly that I want and for me to suggest to my self how to go about getting this.. thing, whatever it is. I guess that can be looked upon as some sort of prayer, only - I'm remaining at the helm, not handing it over, or even sharing it with another being.

Does that make sense?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Thing is, if you *don't* end up getting a better job, then you can place some of the blame to God for that couldn't you?

I mean... instead of allowing yourself to rely entirely on your own power - a power that DOES reside in you whether God exists or not - then you remain partly blameless for failings no?

Understand, I'm not attempting to squish your PoV, I'm merely suggesting that a level of reliance on something else to make things happen in your life gives away the power you have already.

Having said all that, sometimes I'll have a wee chat to my "higher self" to outline what it is exactly that I want and for me to suggest to my self how to go about getting this.. thing, whatever it is. I guess that can be looked upon as some sort of prayer, only - I'm remaining at the helm, not handing it over, or even sharing it with another being.

Does that make sense?

That's a fair response. I guess it is easy to thank God for all my good fortunes and blame God for anything bad that happens. And the truth is, I don't know if that if I do get a better job if it happened because of God or just because I was the best candidate.

Beaudreaux

That is a great question you ask. :)
I guess when I pray for other people with a health problem/risk, I ask God to give them strength. I also pray that God watch over them... not necessarily to "heal" them, but to, like I said, give them the strength to help themselves get better. I believe that when a person is healed from their health problems, I believe it is because it is not their "time". Sometimes even if we pray for those sick people, they still pass away or do not get better. I believe God has a time for all of us. God knows when we will die and knows how. I believe God is the one that creates that time. I guess my answer leans more towards the "serious" health risks...
Why in the world wouldn't you ask God to heal them? It is certainly a good and selfless request. Do you ask for the strength and self help stuff because there is no way to measure whether or not God did it?

Beaudreaux

Happens every day, but rarely is it what you expect.
How could an answered prayer request be not what you expect? If I pray for God to heal a sick friend, I expect him to get healed. If God answers my request, the guy gets healed, exactly as I expected. If the answer is not what I expect, then God did not answer the request.

Beaudreaux

Absolutely. It would be pointless, though, for me to try to convince you of that, and I don't intend to.

Why would that be pointless? I am an atheist asking you about whether or not God answers prayers. Wouldn't it go a long way toward un-atheising me to convince me that God grants prayer requests?

Also, if God does grant prayer requests, how hard should it be to convince me?

Beaudreaux

Good God, give me a break! Some of you guys are such pessimists and only see negative in a positive statement. :shrug: Oh, it couldn't be positive, because you guys disagree with it. :D

ChristineES, this is what I was leading up to when I asked if this has ever happened to you. I often find that Christians do not think through the implications of God physically intervening in the world. Logician is absolutely right. If you pray to God to get you the right job, and God actually intervenes so that you get that job, then that means the person who WOULD have gotten that job normally is prevented from getting it. It has nothing to do with optimism or pessimism. What you are in essence praying is "Dear God, if someone else is going to get that job, please take if from them and give it to me instead. Amen." You see it optimistically because you are only thinking of the situation from your context.

There are other examples of how God's intervention is not thought through. Before many sporting events, players from both sides pray for God to help them win the game. How exactly would God do this, especially since both sides want him to give them an advantage they wouldn't have had before?