• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God have emotions?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Mystic is broad from one who experiences mystical experiences to one who feels home with existence to one who feels one with All or God or Universe...endless takes.

I only attach awe and wonder to my own mystical experiences. If I feel deep peace and connected to life, earth, friends and family I don't label it or see it as a revelation.

You answered that like a true mystic.:)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Moving the cruelty of the Christian god aside, I would say god does not have emotions as such an entity transcends such weakness.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Emotions are a creation. They do not co-exist with G-d. G-d has no emotions. Only what appears to us as emotional responses.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Psalm 78:4 "0 How often they rebelled against him in the wilderness
And made him feel hurt in the desert!
41 Again and again they put God to the test,
And they grieved the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 63:10 'But they rebelled and grieved his holy spirit...'

Genesis 6:5 Consequently, Jehovah saw that man’s wickedness was great on the earth and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time. 6 Jehovah regretted that he had made men on the earth, and his heart was saddened.

1Timothy 1:11 according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted.

Proverbs 27:11  "Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice,
So that I can make a reply to him who taunts me

Proverbs 23:15 My son, if your heart becomes wise, Then my own heart will rejoice

Exodus 22:22  “You must not afflict any widow or fatherless child. 23 If you afflict him at all, so that he cries out to me, I will unfailingly hear his outcry; 24 and my anger will blaze, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives will become widows, and your children will be fatherless.

Zechariah 1:13 Jehovah answered the angel who was speaking with me, with kind and comforting words. 14 Then the angel who was speaking with me told me: “Call out, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies says: “I am zealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with a great zeal. 15 With great indignation I am indignant with the nations that are at ease, because I felt indignant to a small extent, but they added to the calamity.”’

Our God is not emotionless. Whom do we get our senses from? In who's image are we created in?

rusra02

Premium Member
I disagree with much of what the writer said, for example, that God is a trinity and we do not know why God permits evil. But the Bible plainly teaches that God has feelings and emotions, as Pegg's post clearly shows.

rusra02

Premium Member
Yea that's it, in my church they use to tell their children that every time you do something naughty you make Jesus cry, that's disgusting.

I find that what most "Christian" religions teach and practice has little to no similarity to what the Bible really says.(2 Thessalonians 2:9-12)

rusra02

Premium Member
The Bible describes God as insecure in several places, doesn't it? God is described as jealous. Jealousy is a form of insecurity.
Why, and of whom, would an omnipotent God be jealous?

The true God is not insecure. The Hebrew and Greek words translated jealous have several meanings. For example, the Hebrew word translated “jealousy” can mean “insistence on exclusive devotion; toleration of no rivalry; zeal; ardor; jealousy [righteous or sinful]; envying.” Jehovah's jealousy is not selfish, but rather an intense desire to keep his people from harm. Thus, Zechariah 8:2 says of Jehovah; "This is what Jehovah of armies says, ‘I will be zealous for Zion with a great zeal, and with great wrath I will be zealous for her.’” Other translations use the word Jealous. In both cases, this is a positive emotion based on love, not insecurity. The English word jealous has a decidedly negative connotation, whereas the Hebrew word can be positive or negative.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I find that what most "Christian" religions teach and practice has little to no similarity to what the Bible really says.(2 Thessalonians 2:9-12)

Yes I have noticed that also, most are too busy with their organization they call church, to truly understand what is right in front of them.

ametist

Not emotions. God has a 'knowing'. About anything you can think or feel in your physical and nonphysical self frame just as they feel and sound to you. There is an ongoing and non stop 'info exchange' without you being aware of it.
In holy books or personal meditations or in making of art god answers according to this collective or individual calls.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What do you believe and why?

I would like to qoute Alvin Plantinga on this one:
"As the Christian sees things, God does not stand idly by, cooly observing the suffering of His creatures. He enters into and shares our suffering. He endures the anguish of seeing his son, the second person of the Trinity, consigned to the bitterly cruel and shameful death of the cross. Some theologians claim that God cannot suffer. I believe they are wrong. God's capacity for suffering, I believe, is proportional to his greatness; it exceeds our capacity for suffering in the same measure as his capacity for knowledge exceeds ours. Christ was prepared to endure the agonies of hell itself; and God, the Lord of the universe, was prepared to endure the suffering consequent upon his son's humiliation and death. He was prepared to accept this suffering in order to overcome sin, and death, and the evils that afflict our world, and to confer on us a life more glorious than we can imagine. So we don't know why God permits evil; we do know, however, that He was prepared to suffer on our behalf, to accept suffering of which we can form no conception."

Let's start the discussion. Enjoy!

I think God does a face palm somewhere in Psalms.

BruceDLimber

Given that the Baha'i scriptures say (among many other things):

"Love Me that I may love thee [God speaking],"

it's clear that God does indeed have emotions!

Peace, :)

Bruce

ametist

If you are not familiar with love you cant recognize love. It is more about god knowing about human psychology and states than it having emotions. It is more like saying for gods to reveal its essense you should be in right mind. I also dont see love as an emotion. It is getting an elevated experience out of all no matter what happens or what emotions are felt all along. It is a state of being rather than an emotion.

BruceDLimber

That's an interesting passage! What is the context behind it?

It's part of a verse in The Hidden Words, which is described by Baha'u'llah as a short summation of the teachings of earlier religions. Here's the whole verse:

"O SON OF BEING!
"Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant."
--Part One, #5.

You can see all of them, if you like, at this site:

Bahá'í Library Online (click "Writings" to get to them.)

Peace, :)

Bruce

What do you believe and why?

I would like to qoute Alvin Plantinga on this one:
"As the Christian sees things, God does not stand idly by, cooly observing the suffering of His creatures. He enters into and shares our suffering. He endures the anguish of seeing his son, the second person of the Trinity, consigned to the bitterly cruel and shameful death of the cross. Some theologians claim that God cannot suffer. I believe they are wrong. God's capacity for suffering, I believe, is proportional to his greatness; it exceeds our capacity for suffering in the same measure as his capacity for knowledge exceeds ours. Christ was prepared to endure the agonies of hell itself; and God, the Lord of the universe, was prepared to endure the suffering consequent upon his son's humiliation and death. He was prepared to accept this suffering in order to overcome sin, and death, and the evils that afflict our world, and to confer on us a life more glorious than we can imagine. So we don't know why God permits evil; we do know, however, that He was prepared to suffer on our behalf, to accept suffering of which we can form no conception."

Let's start the discussion. Enjoy!
God permits evil so we human beings can know what evil is and what evil does. It's like this: If you never had a severe toothache, how would you know what it's like when somebody says he/she has a severe toothache? If we lived on a flat earth with the sun in the same spot 24 hrs a day how would we know what it is to live in total darkness? Today, if there was no ISIS group doing the most evil things in the world, how would anybody know what ISIS is capable of doing? But now we know because they exist.