• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God need intercessors?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In my opinion, the purpose of prayer is not to request things. I practiced with SGI Buddhism and thats what they pray for, something. Prayer should be communication without expecting something in return. Soi if Im praying for my aunts health to be better, I personally dont ask can you (or the Buddha-not the person) cure my aunt. I tall about my aunts sorrows and it is up to life (cause/effect) or to you God to cure her, not my request. Its out of my hands I can do is pray for her.

i don't get this either. why do we need to talk to god only when we want something from him? do we only talk to people if we want something from them?

JoStories

I think we have to understand that the mediator, or the Christ is a metaphor, we ourselves can become the Christ, when we fully realize this we are then one with God, or pure Source.

While we are still praying through the Christ to the father, we are still immature, become mature in spirit and you won't even have to pray, your whole life is a prayer.
What an amazingly intuit post and so incredibly profound. I am very impressed and this last sentence is something I will take forward with me in my own journey.

JoStories

Everyone that believes in a god needs something as I see it. They use that belief to fulfill some need or fill a void.
I strongly disagree. I do agree that for some, this might be the case. However, speaking only for myself, I dont 'pray' to God as much as I ask for guidance on what I can do for others and how to do that. IMO, asking God for 'something' is something you should be doing for yourself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think when one uses mediator Christ they refer to His human side on earth being God who acts in between saying you have to go through Him (die to flesh by associating with the human Christ) to be with The Father (after dying tonsin one is resurrected to God)

I feel prayer to Jesus would be living His life, death, and resurrection. We can pray to Him (as a friend to help) but If pray to the Father, in His name to support me as well since He has the power to do so, not Jesus.

You don't need to. But, in the orthodox Christian paradigm, Jesus is God, so praying to one is praying to the other. God does not need a mediator. But sometimes it's helpful for human beings to have "someone on their team," STS.

miodrag

Does God need intercessors?

No, but we do. If we have not experienced a Divine revelation by ourselves, then we depend on following the steps of those who had. Some rituals require initiated or authorized people, so for some reasons we need priests.

As a former Christian I always struggled with why I needed to pray through Jesus to God instead of simply going directly to God.

Jesus said "no one comes to the Father but through Me". I guess that it means that God the Father is transcendental and the only way for us to have a clue about and establish some relationship with Him is to fix on the form He descended in. But, you will have to check with Christian theologians, why Jesus had to say that. There is a similar concept in Hinduism, where devotees call themselves dasanudasanudasa or servant of the servant of the servant (of God) since the attempt to approach God directly does not give a desired effect.