• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it bug you that....

yuvgotmel

Does it bug you (as a believer in a god) that others don't believe in your god?

It seems as though some people tend to get a irritable when other people don't believe in their particular thoughtform (i.e. "god").

Does it bug you (as a believer in whatever religion) that others don't believe in your particular "holy texts" or prophet(s)?

If you can answer, "yes" to either of those questions, I'd like to know why. Why would you be upset if people didn't believe in your particular god or have any faith in your prophet(s)???

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Hell no.
If they knew Him, they'd believe in Him.
If they don't know Him, they'd be missing the point if they said they did.

It seems as though some people tend to get a irritable when other people don't believe in their particular thoughtform (i.e. "god").

Yes, it's as if their faith is contigent on public concensus and they're going around campaining for votes.

My attitude towards these type of people is; "You must live in a very scary Universe if your God needs my permission to exist."

yuvgotmel

[/size]Yes, it's as if their faith is contigent on public concensus and they're going around campaining for votes.

My attitude towards these type of people is; "You must live in a very scary Universe if your God needs my permission to exist."

hehehehe... See.. that is exactly what I was thinking too....:rolleyes:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have always figured belief in God was each person's own decision. It only bothers me if they try to convice me there is no God. In that case I would rather they keep their opinion to theirselves.:D

UnTheist

If God doesn't reach out to everybody, not everyone will believe.

ayani

no- to each their own. i do not wish to argue faith and doctrine with others- i would rather bring my faith to light with them, with God's help.

Does it bug you (as a believer in whatever religion) that others don't believe in your particular "holy texts" or prophet(s)?

no, it is ok. i believe that God's Word is eternal, and can manifest in countless ways. my faith is based upon a small, specific spark of that Word, yet contains the whole of the Word, as well. i take a kind of Baha'i approach to world faiths- this same Word is expressed through them, in different languages and in different ways. and that the same Word applies everywhere, to people of no faith in a God as well.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. All I ask is that they not imply that I am stupid, deluded or irrational because I do believe.

No. If I let that bother me, I'd be constantly angry or frustrated. The eleventh Article of Faith of my religion is, "We claim the privilege of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscince, and allow all men the same privilge, let them worship how, where, or what they may." As long as people behave civilly with respect to my religion's holy texts or prophets, it doesn't matter to me what they believe.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
No to both...

What gets under my skin is when other pagans ignore the God, or people of any religion tell me I'm wrong or misguided for believing what I do.

yuvgotmel

I have always figured belief in God was each person's own decision. It only bothers me if they try to convice me there is no God. In that case I would rather they keep their opinion to theirselves.:D

Fair enough. Do you ever try to convince anyone that there is a "god" and that your "god" is the particular right one?

yuvgotmel

no- to each their own. i do not wish to argue faith and doctrine with others- i would rather bring my faith to light with them, with God's help.

no, it is ok. i believe that God's Word is eternal, and can manifest in countless ways. my faith is based upon a small, specific spark of that Word, yet contains the whole of the Word, as well. i take a kind of Baha'i approach to world faiths- this same Word is expressed through them, in different languages and in different ways. and that the same Word applies everywhere, to people of no faith in a God as well.

Ok... sounds like a decent approach to things.

yuvgotmel

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. All I ask is that they not imply that I am stupid, deluded or irrational because I do believe.

No. If I let that bother me, I'd be constantly angry or frustrated. The eleventh Article of Faith of my religion is, "We claim the privilege of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscince, and allow all men the same privilge, let them worship how, where, or what they may." As long as people behave civilly with respect to my religion's holy texts or prophets, it doesn't matter to me what they believe.

Sure... Probably most people want to believe they are sane, intelligent and have made the right conclusions/choices.

And it's good that you don't get upset when others disagree with you. That's good...

yuvgotmel

No to both...

What gets under my skin is when other pagans ignore the God, or people of any religion tell me I'm wrong or misguided for believing what I do.

Yeah... true.

Question... Do you have an open-mind to the possibility you are wrong?

yuvgotmel

QUESTION:

Do you all think that people might be getting upset at others who disagree with them because of some sort of cognitive dissonance or doubt in their own beliefs????

Rolling_Stone

It doesn't bother me if others don't believe in God, but it does bother me when they preach thier non-belief with patronizing disdain, as though reality ends where the skin begins and personal experience is delusion or doesn't matter. As for the second question, the answer is "no." On the contrary, if everyone believed what I did I'd have to reconsider everything I believe. :)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Yeah... true.

Question... Do you have an open-mind to the possibility you are wrong?

Of course. I'm a scientist and (my beliefs look very much like a lab report :D) as a scientist I know that I'm going to be wrong on some things, but if my desire is true, then maybe one of these times I'll get it right :) In order to tell me that I'm wrong, one must first hear my argument, and then point out the flaw in my logic; what I meant in my first post is the whole: "You're wrong because I say so!" thing.

yuvgotmel

Of course. I'm a scientist and (my beliefs look very much like a lab report :D) as a scientist I know that I'm going to be wrong on some things, but if my desire is true, then maybe one of these times I'll get it right :)

That's cool... ;)

By the way, I was not meaning to single you out for that question. It was something in the way you worded your response that made me think of that.