• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does It Matter If There Is No God?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Jay said:
Are you familiar with the Exodus narrative, in which God "hardens" Pharaoh's heart? Think about it ...

i'm affraid i am not familiar with that narrative, which chapter/verse is it?

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm never quite sure what to do with questions like these. When I use the term "God" I'm using it to refer to a mystery, rather than to a conceptual being, as most folks seem to define "God". So I don't know how to answer a question that's about a mystery.

To ask me "what if there were no God" sort of doesn't compute. It's like asking what if there were no existence, or being? What if there were no me? See what I mean? I have no way or even reason to answer such a question.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Does it matter in this world if there is no God or Gods?
Since we can never know, it matters not.

Sunstone said:
Is there anything significant or essential about your daily life that would change for you depending on whether there existed deity or not? If so, what?
Absolutely. If it was demonstrated that deity existed, I would have abandon all my beliefs (all of them).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If we pretend for the moment that the story is real, one might reasonably conclude that Pharoah was fully confident that he was the architect of his beliefs and behavior - very much as you are.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Jay said:
If we pretend for the moment that the story is real, one might reasonably conclude that Pharoah was fully confident that he was the architect of his beliefs and behavior - very much as you are.

So if God controls our beliefs and behavior the way He controlled the Pharoh then it doesn't matter what we believe because it's all God's will, right?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Godlike said:
I don't believe in deity of the sort commonly assumed and described, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. That said...

The concept of God is what is held dear: without it I would be missing the hope of transcendence, the satisfaction of the longing for something greater than this world and all its conflicts and miseries. If the World is all there is, life is worthless. You might as well just go and live fast and die young, preferably violently. It would be the only natural response. Without God I percieve no order or reformation in the universe, just more of the same crap taking different forms and shapes, ad infinatum. I do not wish to live an insane existence just becuase it is one way to exist. Existence is not enough.

I think you are the first person I have ever come accross that needs religion in order to have any sense of morality. It's sad, and frankly disgusting that you couldn't exist as a normal, moral human being without God. Nobody really needs God to be the backbone in thier lives, and if you couldn't function without that faith, then your life is already worthless.
This perspective of yours is exactly where us non-theist folks come up with the idea that religion is a crutch. For you, it most certainly is.

Reactions: d.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Sunstone said:
It depends entirely on whether one understands "God" as a symbol for a subjective experience, a placeholder for a logical construct, or an objective thing.

In the first instance it matters because this is knowable. In the second and third, it matters not.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jay said:
Your theory is that if God is real he controls our every move and there's no such thing as free will?

I'll play along. Since we don't know if God is real and we think we're making our own decisions, free will is a moot point.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I makes a significant difference for me. My world view and daily behaivor is affected by it.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
No it would not matter because I would not even be alive to contemplate anything. Without God there would be no life, no universe, no creation. All things and all beings come from God. God cannot cease to exist because he/she has no beginning and no end. God is manifested in every aspect of creation. Creation cannot exist without God. Bottom line is this, the hypothetical scenario of the world and all its inhabitants suddenly existing with God is impossible to me. God is the Master of creation. The Upanishads say that God cannot be seen with the eye, but rather, is that which causes the eye to see. God is the ultimate Controller.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Sunstone said:

No. Whether there is or isn't, it is as it is. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be.

I'm aware that as an answer it lacks a certain something, but then for questions like these I suspect any complete answer would be well hidden. I'm strongly reminded of the old parable about the solitary fish in a pond, dreaming of dryness... *smiles*

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Sunstone said:
The negative impact if there were 'no God' is hard to imagine because of the enormous loss of those things that have come because of God. One assumes that if there is no God, there was never a God and therefore, we never would have had any of our founders of religion. (My belief is that they all began with a similar source.) Their original experience and unity with 'God' would not have happened and all of the resultant driving forces from the religions would not be here now. Imagine the billions of people that would not have love as a dominant process in their lives. In addition to love, none of the Golden Rule guidelines which are stated in every religion would exist as they do today. And the list goes on and on of principles and wisdom that would not be available to guide us and contribute to the quality of our lives.

Sunstone said:
Is there anything significant or essential about your daily life that would change for you depending on whether there existed deity or not? If so, what?
For me personally, if there were no God there would be no realization of oneness with God and oneness with all others; and, therefore, the joyous, underlying thrill and security of my everyday life in unity with God and transcendence to ultimate meaning and eternal life would not be. (- Quite a loss, to express an understatement.)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
autonomous1one1 said:

For me personally, if there were no God there would be no realization of oneness with God and oneness with all others; and, therefore, the joyous, underlying thrill and security of my everyday life in unity with God and transcendence to ultimate meaning and eternal life would not be. (- Quite a loss, to express an understatement.)
But, what about the satisfaction you derive from this practice NOW. Doesn't today matter? You enjoy your spiritual life now don't you? Right now is all we have FOR SURE. Isn't that enough?

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
No it doesn't matter, tho i hope it does exist so it's followers can get spanked for being such... scum.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Buttercup said:
But, what about the satisfaction you derive from this practice NOW. Doesn't today matter? You enjoy your spiritual life now don't you? Right now is all we have FOR SURE. Isn't that enough?
Thank you Buttercup for your response to my posting. I have always enjoyed your comments and humor. Not sure I understand correctly the question you raise here; but, let me try to explain my thoughts further. In my posting above, I am writing of the present, this very minute, which is what counts most for me.

Perhaps my use of 'eternal' is a point that needs clarification. Eternal to me is not timelessness nor endless time, but rather is 'all time.' Realization that we have eternal life through oneness with God is for the living, at this moment. It is a quality which transcends temporality. Eternal life is life in the eternal, life in God. It is not some after-death experience of living with this personality forever or a 'form of a continuation of the temporal life of an individual after death without a body.' That IMMHO is a common misconception. I guess in short my thoughts seem to be totally in agreement with your comment about the NOW and wish to suggest my posting does not have anything in contradiction. I just believe one should experience the NOW to the utmost. Hope that helps. Best Wishes -